Moving and packing for college 2 students in one car

This is interesting. I was not aware of such ziplocks.

Hard to know. So far oldest moving all her bags back and forth to GaTech every year. She is technically minimalistā€¦ and she does not buy much new clothes. She claims that she uses everything!

That is the plan!

1 Like

How about your daughter in Memphis flys with her allotted weight. You could then come see her with more of what she needs in a few months.

1 Like

Well it depends of kids and ā€œlocalsā€. Not everyone has a big basement (even among relatives). My oldest kid also feels very uncomfortable to ask anybody for any help related to shopping, moving etc. I bet that would not be a problem for youngest :wink:.

That is not the plan. We are not driving twice -once in Atlanta and once in Memphis. 28 hours round trip to Memphis and 22 to Atlantaā€¦

If I understand correctly, you want to take both to their schools, and then not have to visit at all?

Correct! They will fly home for fall, winter, spring and summer breaks.

Then you only take what they need for the start of college. If they fly southwest, they can take back two more suitcases full each time they come home.

Only youngest will fly Southwest. Oldest will fly Spirit with only personal item.

But you said youngest is the one with lots of stuff, oldest is the minimalist, yes? So youngest will take stuff back on Southwest, oldest wonā€™t need to.

That works. That just means the youngest needs to take the essentialsā€¦and add in fall break.

1 Like

It is just minimalist was before able to fill the whole minivan somehow :slight_smile:, but she did not add any new clothese at college.

A few tips after several logistical, multi-leg college drop offs:

• Use the vacuum (or they come with suction pumps) space bags and pack several of them them in plastic bins so they do not start to expand in the back of the van. It is amazing how much the comforters, pillows, and clothing layers can squeeze down. Ziploc makes a line of them and amazon has their own brand.
  • You could have the oldest fly to Memphis and meet you there, so there is one less person in the vehicle for that leg. She still gets to help move in her sister, but is not taking up valuable real estate in the vehicle. Then she can hop in the car to Atlanta with you. She can bring a suitcase with her on the plane.
  • Most hotels that host any kind of conference are used to accepting packages for guests in the coming days. The week before your trip you could ship a few things to the hotels you are staying at or just wait and ship them to campus when you get home.
2 Likes

Are space bags have a tendency to expand back quickly? I was trying to avoid plastic bins since they are not flexible and take a lot of space. Is there a danger to expand if I will stuck them in the equivalent of ā€œIkeaā€ bags or even trash bags? Can they stay airtight for 3-4 days?
Unfortunately flying to Memphis is very expensive and not possible. I bet the oldest would love just fly to Atlanta on Spirit to avoid that crazy move, but I have a feeling that DH and youngest daughter will prefer Older daughter to suffer through our trip :).
We have no problem storing packages. The problem is the actual shipping costā€¦ Current shipping rates are very unattractive.

I have not had problems with the vacuum bags expanding once they are correctly sealed and the air sucked out. Iā€™ve packed them into duffels and flown with them internationally. But the bags do get very heavy,

It sounds like you just have to limit each kid to X cubic feet and they can decide what to take. If your youngest kid canā€™t live without her knick knacks, then sheā€™s going to have to live without her clothing or bedding or whatever. If you can take out a row of seats in your minivan, that might give them more room for stuff and less for themselves on the ride.

Or you could have one parent take one child and the other the other child. It really depends on if you want to take 2 carloads of stuff or all go together and just buy a few things new in each city. It was easier for my daughter to buy a comforter and pillows than to pack them. It was cheaper to buy things new and have Amazon ship directly. One kidā€™s school also had a yard sale about a week after school started and some group collected all the fans, lamps, mini fridges, bookshelves, etc, that had been abandoned at move out and sold them to kids moving in.

I donā€™t have any personal experience with these trailer hitch cargo carriers but I see them used by others around me to haul some good sized loads. You already have the receiver mounted so perhaps you could purchase one of these for 100-150 and really increase your carrying ability. Everything would be tucked in behind the van so less wind resistance and less chance of getting blown apart. Easy to store when not in use and you could sell it when you were finished with it. Just another thought.

Hereā€™s a nice aluminum one (wouldnā€™t have to worry about rusting, is lightweight) at Amazon that holds up yo 500 lbs of college stuff. There are plenty of other options there too.

MaxxHaul 70108 49" x 22.5" Hitch Cargo Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount Aluminum Cargo Carrier With High Side Rails For RVā€™s, Trucks, SUVā€™s, Vans, Cars With 2" Hitch Receiver - 500-lb Load Capacity, Grey https://a.co/d/98PeLEd

1 Like

So you will also have four people in the van? I think you need to take two cars if that is the case. Each of those people is taking up space needed to move two college kids and their stuff.

Iā€™d check out Southwest, one way to Memphis. I did a quick search and it looks like one way about the time she needs to go is ~$174. She can go there with two, 50 lb bags. No gas money or going out of your way.

3 Likes

There are also flights from Baltimore to Atlanta. I didnā€™t see any that cost over $219. Another option. Older sibling can take the essentials, and bring the rest to college fall break. And yes, this would mean flying Southwest instead of Spirit. But it would solve the problem.

1 Like