MPE and class on degree plan

My son will be a business major next year. If he scores a 22 or higher on the MPE, does he sign up for Math 142? What happens to spot in his degree plan that has Math 140? Does he just put an elective in its place to make up for the 3 hours or do they have to take Math 140 since it is in the degree plan?
Also, do you know when they can start taking the MPE?

He has to take 140 and 142 (or equivalents). The mpe doesn’t take place of math just makes sure you’re ready for the course. Some students have to take a remedial math if they score too low on mpe.

Thank you!

When I log into the MPE information page in Howdy, it says, “If your score on the TAMU MPE for Math 142 is 13 or higher, you can be placed in Math 142. If your score is less than 13 on this portion of the exam, you can be placed in Math 140.”

So, for his degree plan, he was to take 140 and 142. If he gets a 13 or higher on the MPE, he gets placed in 142. Does that mean that he does not take 140 and just has to have another class account for the 3 hours towards his degree?

Also, he is considering taking the Math 142 this Spring at the local community college to get it out of the way. By doing so, with all of his AP credits that he will take credit for, he will be finished with all of the classes for his freshman year. However, I don’t know if that changes him from a freshman to a transfer student since he will have an actual college class on a transcript.

Both Math classes are required. You can just choose which one you take first.

Still considered a freshman. Only if you take college course after graduation. Our dual credit locally comes on a college transcript.

Thank you. I guess I don’t understand how taking the test and getting a 13 or higher on it is any advantage if you still have to take both classes. Also, 140 is a prerequisite for 142. if you know what you need to know to get into Math 142, what is the point of going back and taking 140?

140 and 142 are different. I believe one is more algebra and the other more calculus based. And not doing well on the exam means you have to take a remedial math course before eligible for either one.

And if you don’t want to take 140, I believe there are alternative math courses. Just know that you need at least 6 hours of math regardless. of your degree.

I emailed the math department about the testing and class placement. They stated that If you score 13 or higher on the MPE2, you can take the 142. I then confirmed that if you score 13 or higher on the MPE2, that you will not have to take the Math 140 and will just take 142. They indicated that this was correct. Scoring a 13 or higher on the MPE2, places you in Math 142 and you do not have to take Math 140 since the prerequisite of Math 142 is either taking Math 140 or a good enough MPE2 score.

That goes against everything they have ever done. The University requires 2 maths. You don’t necessarily have to take 140 but in the Mays degree plan it will show you what alternates you can take in place of 140. But please know you have to take 2 maths. You do not exempt out of it.

But yes, if you score a 13 then you can take 142 first. Many kids do this because they are just coming out of Calc. in high school. I’ll ask some of my advisor friends to make sure this hasn’t changed in regards to 2 maths.

FYI, verified with 2 of my advisors. EVERY student must have 6 credits of math. You cannot exempt out of it. Below is what every student must take minimum. There are alternate courses for math 140. Just be sure your student doesn’t take 142 and then an equivalent for 142 (trust me I’ve seen advisors sign a student up for Math 151 when they had just completed 142. That would not have counted towards the degree (wasted credit).

Under Mays, these are the acceptable 140 replacements:

MATH 148, MATH 152, MATH 168 and MATH 172 will be accepted in lieu of MATH 140.

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/general-information/university-core-curriculum/

@AggieMomhelp I would appreciate you asking advisor friends… All the information that I can find on this on the different websites seem very unclear. I have researched this endlessly and have not found anything in print that is definitive.

I am not sure if I should contact Mays and ask them. If he does truly have to take Math 140, I think I can register for him to take it at the Community College this wintermester and get it out of the way… but I don’t want to ask him to do that if he does not have to take it.

***I do want to clarify that I asked the math assessment department that administers the test, not the actual math department.

@tmclanton Did you see my reply above with link? And yes, I would totally contact Mays advisor to clarify what other math he should take to make up for the 6 credits of required math. Again, what I copied is from Mays degree plan for mgmt (I just picked one randomly).

@AggieMomhelp Thank you so much for your help. I think it is all starting to make more sense and I do think that I probably got wrong information from the Math Assessment Department.

I think I will have him go ahead and take the Math 140 (Math 1324) at the local community college. He will then take the Calculus AB test in the spring and if he gets a 3, that will count for Math 142 He is also taking AP statistics, and although that is acceptable for core curriculum math credit, it does not look like it would be acceptable for Mays.

I really do appreciate your help… I really think you talked me out of stepping in a land mine! Of course if he does have to take a math class at TAMU, it is not the end of the world.