MPE for Liberal Arts Majors

I’ve just been accepted to A&M as an International Studies major with a minor in Spanish. I’m SOOOO excited, but there is so much to do.
My question is about the Math Placement Exam. I am terrible at math (600 composite math score on the SAT) so it’s a good thing that INTS doesn’t require much math. Should I be trying really hard on the exam? Will doing badly set me back in any way? I’ve seen lots of discussions about the MPE for math-heavy majors, but INTS is not math-heavy. What kind of score should I be aiming for, if any?
Also, for Spanish, I have taken up to Spanish 4. My school does not offer AP Spanish so I have not taken it and have had only a little practice with conversational Spanish with my family and friends. Should I study very hard and try to get a really good score on my Spanish exam at the Pre-Conference Exam? I would be willing to if that’s what I need to do to come out on top in my Spanish classes. I’m just not sure what to do.

International studies core cirriculum http://ints.tamu.edu/curriculum/ shows that you must have 6 hours in math from a core curriculum math. 3 of those hours can be in logic. I would talk to an adviser about which is the best math for you to take to satisfy your requirement. You can take study tests of the MPE. Yes, you want to study and do your best. Otherwise, if you don’t score the minimum required to get you into the math you need to satisfy your core curriculum, then you will be put in a math class to get you up to speed so that you can take that required math class. You will not receive credit for the remedial math class but it will cost you in tuition the same amount as your core math class, about 300+ an hour or $900-$1000 for the class. So yes, doing badly can set you back, in a way.

If you talk to a counselor, you might be able to take the math you need at a Community College during the summer and thus, get it out of the way and saving money. Make sure it is transferable by checking the Common Course Equivalents. http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/appendices/texas-common-course-numbering-system/

I do not know what the scores you want to target for your major. An adviser may be able to help you there.

Why would you not study hard for the Spanish placement test? What would be the benefit of that? Always do the best you can. Your tests will reveal where you need to be placed. Why would you not study, be placed below your actual level and then waste time and money taking remedial classes that will not count so you can get up to speed to take the classes you need, that count towards your major? Don’t ever sell yourself short on opportunities. Make the most of them.

So I could possibly still end up in a remedial math class for the International Studies major? Alright, that’s what I needed to know. I already have plans to study up, I was just wondering how much I should be worried about this.
Also, I would NEVER sell myself short. Of course I will study for my Spanish exam, I just wanted to get an idea of how much I should be concerned about that exam as well. Thanks for your help.

@purple10115 You will only end up in remedial if you do not score high enough to get into the math class that is needed to satisfy your core curriculum requirement. It really would behoove you to contact an adviser in your major to ask what math you will need (there are so many offered and some are excluded for your major). When you say you are terrible at math, some people truly are and some can get a 95 out of 100 and think that is terrible.
All of these exams are important as they will be placing you where you need to be. While some think, hey, if I get easier classes because I didn’t score well, then Hey, I’ve got it easy. But what those easy classes are (not that the others will beat you to death) but if the student doesn’t score well enough for required classes, then they have to take the remedial ones to get them up to speed. You don’t want to have to do that if you truly are capable and just didn’t study. But, if that is where you truly need to be in order to be successful going forward, then it is not wasted time and money but a footstep to help you be more successful for the rest of your college career. Clear as mud?

I’m definitely going to ask an advisor. Thank you for answering my questions.