Musical Theater information?

Hi all, I am new to this forum. My D is a junior in hs so we are just beginning our search. UofA was listed as one of the top 10 BA Theater (& MT) schools so we are starting our research. I Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks! Love how active this schools forum is!!

If you search Facebook for “University of Alabama Parents” and request to join the group, there are a couple parents of musical theater students that are members. I am not certain if they are members here as well or not.

@jrcsmom great thank you! I asked this question on the MT forum here but no response yet.Thanks again!

If you send me a PM with your Facebook name, I can get you added to the UA Parents facebook page

UA will begin construction on a huge multi stage performing arts center next year. Will be the central jewel in the adjacent newly acquired land formerly belonging to the Bryce Mental Health Hospital.

^^^
@atlanta68 are there any artist renderings?

@Atlanta68 Wow that sounds amazing!!! My husband says UofA is too far, we are on Long Island,NY but we were looking into JMU, Northwestern, Coastal Carolina they are all far too. I think just hearing Alabama makes it sound farther. lol…But it sounds wonderful!

lol…UA is not too far!!!

@chardo and @robotbldmom and the others: You’re from Long Island…what do you say? :wink:

@mom2collegekids thanks for tagging some others to help me :slight_smile:

http://dialog.ua.edu/2015/02/bryce-campus-master-plan-as-of-2015/ and see page 49-50 something of http://www.as.ua.edu/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Fall-2014-Faculty-Meeting-Oct-21-College-of-Arts-and-Sciences-FINAL1.pdf for floor plans

In the first link above, you can see where the center will be built. Its to the left of the middle, in the center. It is the
largest proposed construction on the map, attached to the north side of the old Main Admissions building.

Yes, it is far, but it’s not a big deal. Flying home, from campus to NY airports is 6-7 hours depending on connection. And there will always be a connection, the direct flights will never work out. Still, this is no longer than the drive from DC or Boston with the inevitable traffic. The reality is it doesn’t even matter much. Kids don’t come home as often as you think. And with texting and Skype, you’re in better contact than when they were in high school. Bottom line, if you’re kid is the clingy homebody type, it will be a problem no matter how far away they go. If they are used to separation (camp, teen tour, etc.), then they will jump right in adapt instantly. My advice, if the school is the right fit overall, go for it. Worst case, they can always transfer back home if it doesn’t work out. That was the advice I gave my son three years ago. He’s now heading toward his senior year at Alabama, after returning home from Israel this week, then interning in Maryland for the summer. He’s quite used to being away from home, as are we.

@Chardo you are so right! My son just finished his freshman year @ Marist bc he wanted to be close(2 hours) and now has changed his view, he advised his sister the same things you said.
I am really looking for a good BA program with good academic s and options to double major or minor. The list isnot that large and Alabama seems to fit all the criteria she wants.

@Joyfulmama … Sent you a PM

Yes, The University of Alabama is a distance from NY but I concur with @Chardo that along with the right connections, the flight is extremely doable. Your student can even fly right into Islip if you want.

You should visit UA, because often, it is that visit which seals the deal for students.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

BTW, My student was in a performance based music ensemble seven out of eight semesters.

@robotbldmom Thanks for the response, I did not get a PM though, Please double check. I am sure I will have lots of questions as I am just starting my research into Alabama.I never would have thought that I would even consider a school so far for my baby, youngest of 3,BUT I really want her happy and to see her follow her dreams for MT.

@joyfulmama try checking your inbox, I sent a tester message to you. :slight_smile: