Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>I am the mother of S, a high school junior and classical and jazz pianist, percussionist and violist. He is planning to pursue a performance degree in jazz piano, though he would like some way to keep the percussion going as a secondary instrument, such as through involvement in percussion ensemble as opposed to a degree. Schools he's currently considering are IU, Eastman, Temple, and his backup is VCU (we live in Virginia), though I feel that he should probably add one more to the list. He'll be attending the jazz program at Eastman this summer.</p>

<p>Younger S plays trombone and is also interested in jazz, though not likely to pursue it as a college major.</p>

<p>I've been lurking around on this site for about a year and a half after stumbling onto BassDad's extremely informative posts, so thanks to everyone here I've already gotten a huge education on what this is all about. Previous to reading BassDad's experience, I did not have a clue as to what this process involved, and it's certainly not anything we would have learned through public school music teachers. Now that we're heading into the final stretch, I'll be seeking help and advice, especially from those who have experience with jazz studies programs.</p>

<p>Jazzcat, have some options in mind by perusing the jazz-specific threads here, but I highly recommend waiting and seeing what your son's impression is after the Eastman jazz camp. The kids there shared a lot of info about colleges they were familiar with and, when my son came home from the camp, he had a MUCH better idea of what kind of program he was interested in. He also had a definite feeling about conservatory vs. not was interesting to him, and a better idea of "where he fit in the world" outside of our state.</p>

<p>Thanks, SJTH. That's a good point. I think the experience this summer will be very helpful in providing him with some direction.</p>

<p>I am Mom of jr. in HS, piano and horn player desiring probable major in composition. We have 2 weeks to visit schools in June. Just found this site and am excited, but still very very overwhelmed.</p>

<p>88fingers-
Love your name!
Welcome to CC.....it is not unusual to be overwhelmed with the music application process.
YOu will find lots of support here!</p>

<p>Where will you be visiting?</p>

<p>I'm an oboist in my second year of high school. I go to a school of the arts and would like to pursue music as a career but am facing pressure from my parents to choose something that makes more money. It's kind of early but I'm beginning to look at colleges and was wondering where to start...</p>

<p>I suggest you read the first eleven posts in the thread <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html&lt;/a> and then post any questions you may have either in that thread or in a new one.</p>

<p>Hi all. New to the group. Mom of two, one D going for Music Education and honors college in the fall, the other D staying at our local Community College.</p>

<p>I hear all of you with the admission process and waiting to breathe until you hear if your kid has passed their music audition. It was nerve raking, ugh. </p>

<p>Here to learn and share.</p>

<p>Welcome Bandie Mom…</p>

<p>You’ve probably noticed that the chatter has really slowed down since admission process is pretty much over for the season…but several of us will keep checking in so feel free to ask any questions…or come up with an interesting topic we can all discuss…Lots of helpful people here</p>

<p>hautboist- tell your parents that oboists are always in great demand for orchestras everywhere. You could do a search on line (you may need to head to the library and ask for help from the reference librarian), because there was a large article in the Living Section of the Rochester (NY) Democrat & Chronicle 2-4 years ago which dealt with this in depth. I would assume that the librarian could help you track down other, similar, articles. I’ve had conversations with 2 professional oboists who supported this; both said that they have always had multiple offers from auditions, which helped them move up the ladder from small orchestra to medium to large, symphony orchestras in major cities. The shortage also allowed them to “moonlight” in opera or ballet orchestras. If you’re talented and work hard, and this is really what you want to do, go for it! Good luck!</p>

<p>I guess the question that comes to mind is where are the kids going to keep their instruments since dorm space is such a premium? DD will be taking her Alto, flute and picc., they are not too big, I know. I guess I’m worrying about nothing. Any experience with this?</p>

<p>Many schools have instrument lockers in various sizes in the music building. This helps reduce theft and damage of instruments left unattended in dorm rooms and the temperature/humidity levels may be better controlled in these areas than in the dorms. It also places the instrument in a convenient spot near practice rooms, rehearsal rooms and concert venues.</p>

<p>My daughter had an extremely small room her freshman year, so did not take her second double bass (strung for jazz playing rather than classical and much less valuable than the main one that was kept in the music building). She did manage to squeeze in an electric bass guitar and practice amp, however. She fit the second double bass in her dorm rooms the other three years so that she could have it handy for the spontaneous jam sessions that were not uncommon at her school. Some of those rooms were pretty small too, so even if the music department does not provide storage for your daughter’s flutes, a determined musician can find space for even a large instrument in a small dorm room.</p>

<p>Hi there. I am a junior flute player aiming for a conservatory. My mom has also posted on her as taximom.
We’ve been reading all the posts on here for the past 2 years and finally made name’s to post. We’ve really learned a lot!</p>

<p><<many schools=“” have=“” instrument=“” lockers=“” in=“” various=“” sizes=“” the=“” music=“” building.=“” this=“” helps=“” reduce=“” theft=“” and=“” damage=“” of=“” instruments=“” left=“” unattended=“” dorm=“” rooms=“” temperature=“” humidity=“” levels=“” may=“” be=“” better=“” controlled=“” these=“” areas=“” than=“” dorms.=“” it=“” also=“” places=“” a=“” convenient=“” spot=“” near=“” practice=“” rooms,=“” rehearsal=“” concert=“” venues.=“”>></many></p>

<p>BassDad, thanks for the info. I’ll have DD check with her school. </p>

<p>I also just called our insurance company and found out that some companies have a valuable items policy where you can add instruments. The instruments would be covered for theft and damage. And her items in the dorm will also be covered under 10% of our home owner’s policy.</p>

<p>Can’t thank you all enough for giving me ideas on what else I need to do to be prepared for the fall. Now…if I can work on getting the emotions under control we will be good to go. lol</p>

<p>DD even has a locker as a voice major. She uses it to keep sweatshirts for the cold rooms. We always had the instruments covered under a special rider to our insurance policy. Never had to use it but it did not cost that much for the peace of mind.</p>

<p>Yep, my singer D had a locker too. Her dorm was a long way from the music building so she very often camped out at the music building all day long. I think her locker looked like a little tiny dorm room.</p>

<p>All of our instruments (see another thread someplace where the umpteen instruments are listed) are covered under special riders on our homeowners. There is an additional cost per instrument per year. </p>

<p>Both of my kids used the lockers in their college(s) for undergrad school. The instruments were locked in a locked building that way. My daughter is NOT a music major but the music department still gave her a small locker because she is in the orchestra and takes private lessons. DS did not use the lockers in grad school but he was living in his own place where he could practice…no roommates.</p>

<p>Depending on the type of insurance you are looking for, the circumstances against which you wish to protect and the total value of instruments that you are insuring, a homeowner’s rider could be the way to go or you may wish to explore companies that provide specialized policies to music professionals. For example, some riders may not cover an instrument in a situation where it is being played for pay. Make sure the rider covers the instrument if the owner picks up some extra cash playing for weddings or church services, or even if a student plays in the school orchestra as a condition for receiving a music scholarship. Some riders do not cover the instrument if it is loaned to a colleague or friend. Most riders will not cover a new instrument until it is specifically listed on the rider, and few musicians want to delay using their new pride and joy until the insurance paperwork catches up. I would also be concerned about a dorm situation in the event that loss or damage might occur due to a roommate’s negligence in not locking the door. Be very sure what a rider would or would not cover in such a situation. Professional grade musical instrument insurance covers these cases and more, and it can be less expensive that a rider in some situations.</p>

<p>We’re with BassDad.
Sons instruments are covered separately on a specific instrument policy. Members of the national AFofM can purchase relatively inexpensive coverage through the union.</p>

<p>Here’s an instrument horror story <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/455224-damaged-flute.html?highlight=flute[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/455224-damaged-flute.html?highlight=flute&lt;/a&gt; with at least a happy outcome.</p>

<p>Besides AFM, groups like ASTA, MENC, most instrument specific societies, Chamber Music America and other organizations offer members a discounted rate on instrument specific insurance through one of the big three, Clarion, Mertz-Huber or Heritage. There are others as well. I think there are instrument thread links in the thread I linked above.</p>

<p>Don’t leave home without it.</p>