Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Given the geography of the schools you have mentioned, I would suggest looking into the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM). It is a truly excellent school. I know of a student that applied to Juilliard merely to be able to use her merit aid offer from Juilliard to enhance her CIM merit; she was successful with large awards offered by both schools (although I think the Juilliard offer was still larger); she went to CIM, of course. Situated by Case Western, all CIM students have easy access to Caseā€™s good offerings. Mezzoā€™s Mama has a daughter in vocal performance at CIM and is very knowledgable and helpful; you could PM her to get more information about the vocal program. Renee Fleming and Frederica von Stade have worked with CIM vocalists in recent months: it doesnā€™t get any better. Obviously, you need to consider the appropriate fit for you daughter and find a compatible teacher, but if you have Cincinnati, Indiana, and Oberlin on your research list, I would add CIM.</p>

<p>Thanks very much - POTO Mom mentioned CIM as wellā€¦I feel a bit sheepish on this one as my brother-in-law taught music theory there for many years, and yet I hadnā€™t really considered the program when we started making a prospective list. I did take my middle daughter on a visit to Case, so I know there is significant reciprocity between the schools. I see that CIM is also hosting a first round of the Classical Singer High School Competition in February, which may be a good opportunity for Heidi to test her ā€œchopsā€ against talented peers. Sheā€™s been getting ā€œ1ā€ ratings at OMEA with nothing but positive feedback during the past two yearsā€¦so I think itā€™s time to step up to some stronger competition.</p>

<p>ilkster</p>

<p>ilkster, Junior year is a good time to try out the Classical Singer competition. The school, scholarship information and timing is better for Juniors than Seniors. But donā€™t put too much importance into it for college auditions. Doing well is great, but DD did not and still got into excellent schools with nice merit awards. Competitions look for different attributes than colleges, which are looking at the development potential. .</p>

<p>Got it - thanks for the input.</p>

<p>Greetings,</p>

<p>I am a Senior in high school studying voice (Soprano). I recognized the wonderful community amoung prospective professional musicians, and I decided to check this forum out.</p>

<p>I am seeking help and advice for my peculiar situation; Prior to moving to Boonie-ville*, Texas early this year, I lived in a vibrant Arts area in Southern California, where I attended a high school of the arts as an Opera Major. Before I was forced to relocate with my parents, I had been rigorously studying voice aspiring to major in Opera/Voice studies at a significant conservatory of music. Currently residing in a location where private voice lessons and professional training are practically not heard of and unavailable, my ambitions continue to throb, and I continue to seek to pursue a career in vocal studies. However, with the lack of training I am currently receiving, I am having serious doubts about my acceptance into a conservatory.</p>

<p>Since moving to Texas, I am, unabashedly, the excelling choir student at my high school, and I have excelled in the UIL competitions and so forth.</p>

<p>Because of the advice I received from my public high school counselors regarding my financial situation, I am applying for Curtis and Oberlin for the Fall of 2010. </p>

<p>Please, I seek advice for my current situation. How can I pursue training at a conservatory and, further, a career in the vocal arts when I am ā€œtrappedā€ in my cirumstance? What can I do to further my artistry and knowledge of voice by myself? Any advice about applying to Curtis, Oberlin, and personal growth as an artist would be greatly appeciated.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>*connotates my current location</p>

<p>We too live in Boonieville (in a different part of the continent). My son drives a round trip of over 600 miles twice a month for lessons. </p>

<p>I would recommend that you look into the possibilities of getting periodic lessons in a city within 300 or 400 miles of your community or closer, if possible. </p>

<p>Try to arrange lessons with faculty at the schools to which you apply. </p>

<p>If you have had good instruction from past teachers and programs, then it wonā€™t evaporate. Those listening to your audition try to determine whether your voice has potential. Because vocalists at your age are very much works in progress (unlike violinists and pianists who need a quite mature and substantial technique to be considered at the best schools), you probably stand a better chance as a vocalist in your circumstances than would many instrumentalists. </p>

<p>Yes, competition for conservatory spots is incredibly fierce amongst sopranos, but if you have the sort of marvelous instrument that is going to ā€œmake it,ā€ then you will indeed make it.</p>

<p>I am not suggesting that you can do without good instruction for a prolonged period of time, but merely that many fine vocalists have had relatively little good instruction by your age. If you have a good instrument and the brains to use it, then a year without weekly lessons is unlikely to substantially diminish your chances of a career. Err on the the side of caution with respect to vocal hygiene. Do not do anything that could possibly damage your voice. No, your situation is not ideal, but neither is it the end for you.</p>

<p>Consider the possibility of a gap year. More students seem to be taking a year after high school to hone their skills or focus their ambitions. Voices mature late, so taking an additional year prior to commencing serious conservatory study would be beneficial if the year is well spent.</p>

<p>Be certain to apply to some good summer programs for young vocalists.</p>

<p>In conclusion, get to a good teacher as often as you can to ensure that your audition repertoire is in good shape and that your voice is progressing in an appropriate direction. Intense high school programs for vocalists can often be more damaging than helpful so the fact that your current high school does not have the vocal offerings of the California school may be a good thing. </p>

<p>Generally sopranos of your age should not be singing for more than about 1.5 hours per day anyways. I have heard too many young voices ruined by too many hours of singing and too much inappropriate singing. If a high school student is in one or two choirs and is in a production or two in a year, then they will have little time to work on their own solo repertoire without taking the risk of overpracticing and damaging their voice. I am somewhat concerned when I hear that a high school has an opera program. Most (if not all) high school voices just arenā€™t ready to sing much opera outside of a very narrow range of specific operatic repertoire that can be sung by immature voices (generally pre-Mozart). Certainly no high school voice should have to sing over an orchestra (especially the sort of orchestra that even a good high school would have).</p>

<p>If Boonie-ville is anywhere near Rice (in Huston) or UNT (in Denton), both have very well-regarded music programs where you may be able to find a private teacher to help you prepare for a run at some top conservatories. </p>

<p>You may also want to look at UNT for college if finances are a big issue. The rates for Texas residents in particular are very attractive. In fact, the living expenses alone in Philadelphia (which Curtis does not pay) may be higher than the total cost of attendance at UNT.</p>

<p>I second BassDadā€™s Texas recommendations. While Rice is expensive, it has extensive financial aid and I believe that it is committed to debt-free graduates. The music programs at UNT and Rice are first-rate. UNT has a huge program. Rice has a considerably smaller undergraduate music population and will probably be a much tougher admit for most people because of the size. Your travel savings alone will be considerable over a 4-year period: getting from Boonie-ville to Philly isnā€™t cheap given Boonieā€™s remoteness. </p>

<p>A couple of further thoughts on growing as a musician in Boonie-ville:

1. Develop your piano skills. Many vocalists get involved in so many vocal activities that they run out of time and neglect this important area of musical development. Look on your sojourn in Boonie-ville as an opportunity to work on things that will inevitably get shifted to the back-burner later when you have more vocal opportunities. Almost all vocalists wish they had more solid keyboard skills. Your singing will benefit from the musical skills which are most easily developed at a keyboard (reading scores; getting a sense of how a vocal line fits with many other lines; reading music rapidly, accurately, and easily; understanding harmony; etc.). Almost any small town has at least a couple of decent piano teachers.<br>
  2. Work on your music theory. If you have the motivation, you can teach yourself most music theory concepts.
  3. Work on your languages. You should be taking every language that your high school offers (I am assuming that Boonie-ville doesnā€™t offer many languages), particularly French, German, and Italian if they are offered. If only Spanish is offered, be certain that you take as much of it as you can. While there isnā€™t as extensive a vocal literature in Spanish as in the aforementioned three languages, the language-learning skills you will acquire are transferable.
  4. You probably donā€™t have a lot of opera productions that you can attend in Boonie-ville, but tons of excellent productions are available on DVD. Watch them. Get to your local library and borrow these or if your local library doesnā€™t have many, have the library request them from a regional library service (it should be free). There should be CDā€™s of hundreds of operas available either locally or regionally. Go to the Met productions that are broadcast in theaters; I know many Boonie-villes have theatres showing these. If you have listened to or watched most of the standard operatic literature prior to entering college, you will have a considerable leg up on most students in terms of understanding the dramatic and historical contexts of the arias you study.</p>

<p>I grew up in UberBoonie-ville and it was much freer from distractions than Gotham (i.e. there was little to do). You will need to be more self-sufficient and self-directed and self-motivated in seeking out opportunities and finding a teacher, but ultimately you can turn your situation into an advantage. When life gives you lemons, make . . .</p>

<p>UNT is indeed first rate and worth a visit, at least for a consultation with a teacher who may be able to give you some guidance. They have some wonderful teachers teaching fantastic students. I will PM a possible contact to you.</p>

<p>The GC does not necessarily understand music admissions so take what they say with a grain of salt. Their normal admission and financial profiles will not be the same as music admissions. Audition based admission and music merit awards are not usually in the normal GC data and you cannot generalize from the standard info</p>

<p>If you just moved this year ( a couple of months ago?) and were studying before then, you should be able to continue. Did you have a voice teacher you can still communicate with who knows your voice and suitablity for various schools? Will that person do some long distance coaching? Not optimum but you can try various video or web cam solutions. </p>

<p>Have you looked at the deadlines for pre-screening that most of the conservatories have for voice majors? As a senior, if your song selections arenā€™t done and ready for recording you are behind for admission next year. In which case agree that a gap year may be appropriate. If those are done, agree that a visit to a school so that you can do the sample lessons or arrange an actual lesson and consultation at any of the TX music schools may work, too.</p>

<p>ivocalize - I will throw out a few suggestions that seem to help my D. 1. practice working with new accompanists. This will be good practice for conservatory auditions. My D had to learn how to communicate in 15 seconds or less how to play her music. 2. videotape yourself singing. Then go back and watch. Look for phrasing issues, breath issues, interpretation, etc. If you have questions about your pronunication, you can post on youtube or send to your previous teacher. 3. Look for performance opportunities in Boonieville. It can be weddings, anniversary parties - anything that provides you an opportunity to practice your performance preparation and perform before ā€œjudges.ā€ This is just good practice for improving your stage confidence. I find that it is easier to focus when you have definitive timelines and goals. The suggestions that you spend time on your piano, languages and music theory is also super advice.</p>

<p>Introducing myself</p>

<p>I am the mom of a guitar-playing son. He is currently a junior in HS (class of 2011) with an interest in pursuing Jazz Studies in college. He is currently most interested in the University of North Texas but, honestly, has not looked into many schools yet. (That would require thinking ahead, not his strong suit!) We live in Chicago, IL.</p>

<p>randmsan-</p>

<p>Welcome! You will find many folks interested in helping you along the way.
We have a son on the other end of the spectrum, finishing up his music studies in a masters program. High school seems SOOOO long ago, but time passes quickly.</p>

<p>Our son also was a somewhat typical non planning ahead young man. Heā€™s matured some (thankfully). </p>

<p>Is there a geographic preference for school? U of North Texas has a superb program.
We are in NJ, William Paterson University is known for jazz program.</p>

<p>Thanks for the welcome!</p>

<p>Son has no geographical preference for school but would prefer to not be ā€œout in the middle of nowhereā€ for college, as he put it. My objective is to not end up in debt for the rest of my life! He was originally fixated on Berklee (I think they all start with that one because it is so well-known) but has since then moved on to UNT. Thatā€™s how he operates in life - throws himself completely in to one thing, then moves on to the next one thing. That describes his music interests, too - complete absorption in one type of music for a year or so then moves on to another type. Over the past 7 years weā€™ve made out way through folk, classic rock, blues, and now weā€™re on jazzā€¦</p>

<p>not in the middle of nowhereā€¦</p>

<p>then I second William Paterson (close to NYC) and the New School in the city.</p>

<p>I donā€™t know how much Iā€™ll post on music topics, not being at a conservatory, but Iā€™ll introduce myself anyways.</p>

<p>Iā€™m a freshman at Carleton planning to double major in Music (Performance) and English. My primary instrument is voice (soprano), but I also play violin in the orchestra and piano.</p>

<p>Iā€™d be happy to explain why I chose Carleton over a conservatory if anyone is feeling torn between their intellectual and musical pursuits (I know I was).</p>

<p>Nice to meet you all!</p>

<p>I donā€™t know how much Iā€™ll post on music topics, not being at a conservatory, but Iā€™ll introduce myself anyways.</p>

<p>Iā€™m a freshman at Carleton planning to double major in Music (Performance) and English. My primary instrument is voice (soprano), but I also play violin in the orchestra and piano.</p>

<p>Iā€™d be happy to explain why I chose Carleton over a conservatory if anyone is feeling torn between their intellectual and musical pursuits (I know I was).</p>

<p>Nice to meet you all!</p>

<p>Hi SmilingSoprano,</p>

<p>My son is a HS jr who plays jazz sax. He probably wants to be a band teacher. Heā€™d most likely be happy at a conservatory focusing on jazz or getting a music ed bachelorā€™s. But I think itā€™s preferable to get a liberal-arts education and get a masterā€™s in music ed rather than focus on it at the undergrad level. He sees my point (since he also enjoys history, English, etc.) and will probably choose a double major of music and something else, as you did, so I was just curious about your thinking in choosing Carleton.</p>

<p>randmsan - my daughter also was originaly fixated on Berklee, and being from boston, I encouraged her in that direction. Great gnashing of teeth and tears when she got in, and we had to face the $30,000 per semester costs. She had not concentrated on UNT thinking it was in the middle of nowhere - and in hindsight found it highly recommended among her music friends. She now attends the UNorth florida jazz program which is small, but a solid program. The Star Wars Concert hired them to sing back up on their Florida performance tour , and she has been getting other performance connections, which is one of the main positives for Berklee.</p>

<p>Randsman - we are currently in the application process for jazz studies (S plays jazz piano). If your S is interested in UNT, you should look into the jazz combo camp they have there in the summer. My S attended last summer and found it very helpful in terms of getting to know the faculty and gaining a general sense of the program.</p>