Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Important tale to tell there, Snowflake.</p>

<p>Hello, all.</p>

<p>My son is a rising senior, a Bass II, in high school. Heā€™s a jolly, kind-hearted, humble guy whoā€™s been blessed to have accomplished quite a bit so far (Iā€™ve got a thread Iā€™ve started called something like ā€œfour-time all region first chairā€ to ask a question or two. This is the only such forum that Iā€™ve found for information like this.)</p>

<p>My wife and I own a small business that weā€™ve had since 1999. Iā€™m also considering going to seminary. Like any parent, Iā€™m curious about the scholarship opportunities for my son. God bless you all here and I look forward to further discussion during this critical year.</p>

<p>Hello Everyone,</p>

<p>Iā€™ve been reading the posts in this forum for the past couple of months, and have just registered on CC. This is my first post.</p>

<p>My S will be a senior this fall, and is looking forward to applying to music schools and majoring in piano performance.</p>

<p>I really appreciate being able to read posts from those whose Ss and Ds have gone through this process. Some of you are are still taking time to post helpful information, even though you have already survived the process. Thanks for helping the rest of us prepare to navigate this!!!</p>

<p>Hello! Music major here. Iā€™m a littleā€¦scared! Haha. Iā€™m attending University of Arkansas, studying music composition and piano and voice. I started out as a double major in piano performance and music composition, but I felt like I had to choose between themā€¦so I followed my passion!</p>

<p>Itā€™s nice to be here!</p>

<p>I am a first time poster and have appreciated the helpful posts that I have read. My daughter S., who is a senior in high school, wants to study music ed. Her principal instrument is French horn, but she also loves to sing, too. We live in New England and have been begun to visit colleges. We own a travel trailer, so we are staying in campgrounds when we visit schools. Since S. wants to go away from home, we are trying to narrow our focus and end up with a list of 5 or 6 places to apply including 2 local schools.</p>

<p>I have posted to this forum before, as woodwindmum. For whatever reason, Iā€™ve been unable to get back on. I modified my screenname so that I could. </p>

<p>I live in MD. Son has recently joined the forum(dmvreeds). He makes me feel as olllllllld as I am, but made me smile when he said he wanted to stay nearby when he goes to college. That likely results from having an Asian dad. Son plays bass clarinet mainly, but also Bb clarinet & tenor sax. I play nothing. As a child I played many instruments, all by ear. They were always to be found in our house. My father built violins & played them. I thought everyone had musical instruments all over the place. in the evenings dad, uncles & grandfather would all get together and play all sorts of instrumentsā€“everything from steel guitars to saws. We were very poor. No lessons ever. I eventually stopped playing, annoyed that I couldnā€™t have lessons.
Son is NOT fulfilling my dream. I have never asked him to practice an instrument in years.
I only encouraged by providing him with the best instruments-Buffet bass clar., Selmer Series III tenor. I did this because I knew it would be painful to have to listen to poor quality instuments while he learned. Having an ear for music can make it difficult to enjoy. He never really sounded like a beginner, however. I have read numerous posts on the music forum in an effort to make more informed choices over the next year. The posts are great, but at this point Iā€™m still confused.</p>

<p>Hello, iā€™m going to be a high school senior this fall and have been touring colleges all summer looking for a good program for guitar (jazz), i started playing piano at age 6 and played for a good 8 years and took up guitar at around 11, i quickly made that my main instrument and have been in love ever since (iā€™m 17 now), Iā€™ve always played metal/rock since i started but since last november iā€™ve been doing jazz lessons and i love it and have learned very quickly for the time iā€™ve had. I also discovered my voice last year and have been obsessed with Opera, Choir and Classical singing. So iā€™m kind of all over the board with my musical tastes and interests which is a good thing but also limiting when looking for a program that can entail everything I love. Anyways music is my life and thatā€™s basically all iā€™m interested in, cheerio!</p>

<p>Hi there. :slight_smile: Iā€™m not completely new to the forum, but I havenā€™t introduced myself yet.
Iā€™m a student - Luther College class of 2014 from Des Moines, IA. Primarily a singer (first tenor), but Iā€™m very interested in a lot of other instruments as well. Iā€™ve played all sorts of instruments at different times in my life - piano, violin, viola, cello, trumpet, etc. Iā€™ve always loved music, but it didnā€™t really turn into a passion until high school, and it wasnā€™t cemented in my brain that I have no hope of being anything but a music major until I sang Morten Lauridsenā€™s Ovā€™e, Lass, Il Bel Viso? and Eric Barnumā€™s Afternoon on a Hill with the 600-voice Iowa All-State Choir my senior year.
So here I am. I havenā€™t decided yet if I want to do Music Ed or Music Theory/Composition, but I know I want to go on to grad school after college.
Iā€™m a German minor. I love linguistics. Iā€™m ridiculously excited to be in Norsemen this year. So yeah. Having a pretty good life. :D</p>

<p>Sweet, Iā€™m joining my local norse hall and i hope to apart of the choir, welcome and it sounds like you have a promising life ahead of you</p>

<p>Another new member here. My son Mā€™s band is called The Honest. </p>

<p>Pretty darn good rock band for a bunch of 16- and 17-year-olds! He is a guitarist and writer, and wants to major in contemporary performance and/or songwriting. Pretty small group of schools there. Hoping to get some more info here on Berklee, Belmont, Columbia College in Chicago, and Mc Nally/Smith - and if anyone knows of any other schools that offer contemporary guitar and/or songwriting, I would REALLY appreciate your suggestions!!!</p>

<p>We have visited Berklee and Belmont and loved both of them. M is doing the Guitar Sessions at Berklee this month and hopefully that will help him learn a lot more about Berklee.</p>

<p>Berklee of course is greatā€¦buuuut there are way too many guitarists though, I also wanted to do the guitar session thing a couple years ago but itā€™s ridculously expensive and from what iā€™ve seen and heard on youtube itā€™s just a bunch of teens thinking they can ā€œshredā€, i donā€™t know what kind of stuff is taught or what not but i personalyl donā€™t think it represents the quality of players that would actually be thereā€¦but itā€™s a good experience to see the city and get to know the school</p>

<p>18karat, thanks for the thoughts on Berklee. M got a scholarship for the summer session and will stay with his aunt who lives in Boston, so it wasnā€™t too expensive. We have lots of family in the area.</p>

<p>You might want to look at the Hartt School at the U. of Hartford for jazz guitar or piano. We visited there last spring, just because it is close to where my in-laws live, and were very impressed with its jazz program and it is a very nice campus. Not the right school for us though.</p>

<p>If you are interested in opera, check out the U. of Kentucky. Great opera program. I am on the almuni association board of directors there.</p>

<p>Ahh thatā€™s certainly nice</p>

<p>thanks for the tips, iā€™m in love with jazz guitar and opera so iā€™m kind of deciding which way to go, seems like guitar because iā€™ve been doing it much longer but singing/opera will always be a pleasure for me, so i will be immersed in choirs and try to at least audition for operas at college</p>

<p>honestmom, welcome. As this is an introductory thread, Iā€™ll defer school comments to your post in the lower section.</p>

<p>If you take a minute to review the link here, [College</a> Confidential - FAQ: College Discussion - TOS & FAQ](<a href=ā€œhttp://talk.collegeconfidential.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item]Collegeā€>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item) links to personal pages, blogs and you tube are not allowed. No biggie, just a point of reference. Descriptive text and how to get there is within the boundaries. </p>

<p>You may also not wish to reveal too much personal info in this type of link. I understand the exposure and marketing value, but in an open public forum frequented by a number of admission professionals, many prefer to keep things a bit closer to the vest. </p>

<p>Beware that if you are considering McNally Smith, Full Sail and similar programs that these are for profit institutions, unlike the vast majority of programs on CC. While the may well be perfect for some, just realize you will not be comparing apples and oranges in assessing what one envisions from a college experience.</p>

<p>Sorry! Should have read the rules first! Thanks.</p>

<p>Another way to get this type of info ā€œout thereā€ is to make the offer of ā€œpm me for a linkā€ within the post body.</p>

<p>I am a mother of a sophomore in HS. She is getting more serious about music as time goes on and may end up a music major. She has studied piano for 10 years and saxophone on and off for 4 (more for fun, being in the school band). Starting to compose. Interested in conducting. Likes all kinds of music. Just told me that she wants to take easier courses as a Junior so that she has more time for music. I am trying to read as much as I can to determine whether this is a Good Idea or a Bad Idea! And how we can help her get to where she wants to go. It seems like a good time to start research is right now!</p>

<p>Definitely, personally from being in high school and trying to manage my musical endeavors easier classes help a lot. still take classes that will challenge you but you donā€™t need to take 6 AP classes., i just finished my junior year and i had an easy load and i got straight aā€™s and was able to have lots of time for my music. and my senior year is going to be even easier.</p>

<p>lastbird: Whether reducing oneā€™s academic load by taking easy classes is a good or bad idea depends on where your D wants to study. Most conservatories will not care about the difficulty level of oneā€™s high school classes; the quality of the audition is all-important. However, if your D wants to go to a school of music within a good university like Northwestern or Rice (both have excellent conservatory-quality music programs), then the academic record becomes more important. </p>

<p>For top programs, piano is competitive and to get into the competition, most students have to spend at least 2 to 4 or more hours daily on the piano, so having a less rigorous set of classes makes this easier. However, there are many good music programs that most good pianists can get into with less than 4 hours a day.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your input. Iā€™m going to post some really basic questions somewhere else so as not to hijack this thread completely.
Isnā€™t there a ā€œso you want to be a music majorā€ thread somewhere? I canā€™t find it ā€“</p>