Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>I’m new to CC. My S is a HS Senior applying for vocal performance and music education. Hi everyone.</p>

<p>Welcome, tenorssmom.</p>

<p>You will find a wealth of information here in this forum from many willing to share.
My DS is finishing his tuba performance masters after an undergrad in music education. So, one part of his journey is soon ending and another beginning.</p>

<p>Where is your son applying? Wish him the best!</p>

<p>Thanks, musicmom. My S has auditioned at Ithaca, Baldwin-Wallace and U of MD. He has an audition at Penn State later this month. He has been accepted to Ithaca (BM and BME dual program) and MD (not sure for what degree yet). Still waiting to hear from B-W. Where did/does your S go?</p>

<p>Hi Everyone,
I am also new. My daughter is a high school senior and auditioned at the University of Maryland for voice performance.She would like to double major in another field. She has been accepted to the university, but hasn’t heard from the music school yet. </p>

<p>tenorssmom: did your son already receive an acceptance letter from the Music School? The waiting game is a tense one :)</p>

<p>Hey guys, Im a high school senior looking to apply to Berklee for a BM in performance. Im a saxophonist and have been playing about 7 years. Perhaps I’m wrong but it doesnt seem to be a big concentration of saxophonists applying this year, maybe its an off year…</p>

<p>Hi Everyone!</p>

<p>I tried an introduction a few days ago and got only a (meant to be funny?) reply from Glassharmonica. :slight_smile: ‘Crudite’ - very punny!</p>

<p>Does anyone know when/how Interlochen responds to applications for the Vocal Soloist Summer Program? We applied just days before the Feb. 1 scholarship deadline, and wonder if they hold all acceptances/rejections until April 1? We really appreciate any insight you might be able to give.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>LMT,</p>

<p>you may do better if you start a new thread with an appropriate title or at least post to an existing currently active thread concerning summer programs. There are undoubtedly people out there who can answer your question, but who may not bother to read this thread that is intended for introductions rather than questions.</p>

<p>I think glassharmonica may have been reacting to your anxiety about waiting until April 1 for a summer program announcement. Those of us who have students who are in or beyond college programs know that waiting for college acceptances and financial aid offers is much more tense and anxiety-laden. My initial reaction to your first posting was that if you were this concerned over a summer program, what will it be like for you in a year or two when the waiting gets really hard.</p>

<p>Also, don’t expect this to be a model of what the process of selecting a college is like for your younger kids unless they also are interested in being performing arts majors. In most cases, applying as a music performance major is a lot harder than applying to most academic programs. If one of the younger ones is headed toward a music theater major, the process will be far worse than it is for music performance majors. Either way, it will be a very different process than applying to music schools.</p>

<p>The crudit</p>

<p>LMT, there may be some historic info here, but realize things can change year to year.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/940576-interlochen-summer-questions.html?highlight=interlochen[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/940576-interlochen-summer-questions.html?highlight=interlochen&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/855940-interlochen-summer-voice-program.html?highlight=interlochen[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/855940-interlochen-summer-voice-program.html?highlight=interlochen&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>And on occasion we oldtimers run off chasing puns, constructing innuendo, or fostering malapropisms. It’s therapy for the parents of preforming artists, keeps one from going completely bonkers.</p>

<p>glassharmonica, back in my day three tilapia filets were just an appetizer. Must be a bunch of wimpy eaters in Annadale-on-Hudson. :D</p>

<p>glassharmonica,
I apologize for misconstruing your quip in public. </p>

<p>violadad,
I will be disappointed if you do not manage to construct an innuendo from a straight line like that. Purely for purposes of demonstration, of course.</p>

<p>BassDad, as an engineer you should be able to construct an innuendo from a straight line far
faster than I.</p>

<p>I might try, but it would be far from a complex edifice.</p>

<p>(And besides, I always thought that Crudites were a tribe that inhabited ancient Mesopotamia.)</p>

<p>Nah, I prefer simplicity. I’d expect edifice complexes to be produced by those with super egos.</p>

<p>Aren’t Crudites descendants of the Amenities?</p>

<p>Indeed, just as the Escutcheons were the precursors to the ancient Romans, many scholars are of that mind. They also suggest that the Nanites, although a very tiny offshoot, are of the same lineage.</p>

<p>I find ancient history fascinating.</p>

<p>Hello BassDad, glassharmonica, and violadad,</p>

<p>Thanks for all your responses. You obviously all go way back.</p>

<p>I will head off to the summer programs you recommended, BassDad. I’ve been reading this site for quite a while and didn’t see anything that answered my question (yet.) I asked the question about our current performance-related activity as a way of introducing myself so others would know where we are in our journey. I may post my question where it is more likely to get a reply, although at this point, the excitement of sending off those first applications and my first CC post is gone. :(</p>

<p>I actually understood glassharmonica’s intent immediately, and thought ‘crudite’ was particularly funny since I mentioned how nice everyone was. No offense was taken.</p>

<p>Responses to summer programs applications for high school students may not be as important to parents of college applicants as responses to college applications, but it is a part of the process many here have been through. BassDad, I used the term ‘nervous wreck’ lightly - I’ll be more careful so I don’t appear overwrought - but I appreciate your concern. :)</p>

<p>I do realize that things will not be the same for my other two children. The whole process could be drastically different, but the same basic hurdles apply to every college applicant, and getting one into school will teach us lessons that can be applied to every other application. In any case, I’ll be glad to have the vocal performance child in a school because I recognize how much harder the process is. I don’t think either of my others plan to go to college for performance-related studies so maybe it will be all downhill after our first. And perhaps the biggest blessing is that I don’t see any musical theater majors in our future.</p>

<p>BTW, I thoroughly enjoy you ‘oldtimers run off chasing puns, constructing innuendo, or fostering malapropisms.’</p>

<p>Oh, one last thing on the Introduction thread - I’m a she. I’m the Momma in “if Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”</p>

<p>See you around!</p>

<p>Hi BassDad,
I just posted a long reply and now see where I posted my question about summer program acceptances twice in this thread - that’s my mistake. I will get better at this over time. My apologies to everyone.</p>

<p>Sorry, LoveMeTenor! I should have realized that the “tenor” in your name did not reflect on your own gender but rather your son’s. Have a vol-au-vent instead! I find waiting for the results of summer programs to be quite nerve-wracking. Last year there was quite a bit of posting about summer programs, but this year for whatever reason there isn’t much chatter… I actually started a post about summer programs on the Theater majors channel (I have an 11th grader who plans to go into acting) and no one is responding to it. :(</p>

<p>Hello everyone.
I have a question. My son recently auditioned for our ALL County Concert band. He ended up in second chair which is great of course. Another boy who my son regularly finishes above by a long way got first?
My beef is this. The other boys Sax private teacher was one of the judges. The judges were blind so in theory they couldnt see who was playing but of course its highly likely that she recognised her pupil. Even if she didnt she had been teaching him how she would want the audition to be played!</p>

<p>Detail; my sons solo results were better as were sight reading. Easy scales were a point lower???</p>

<p>Anyway. More than likely they was no funny business but do you think that the teacher was ethically incorrrect to accpt judging knowing that one of her pupils would audition?
Just a question…</p>

<p>Thoughts anyone? Maybe this stuff goes on all the time and I am probably just a sore loser…</p>

<p>Hi Martin, and welcome. Many of us seasoned parents will freely admit that we parents take these things a lot harder than our kids do. I think I spent half my life crying “It’s not fair!” on behalf of my kids. But these things have a way of evening out, and someday your son will get the edge on something. A seat apart is not a bad thing at all. “A bad audition” is perhaps not quite accurate! Your son should feel great about the top scores on solo, etc. Congratulations to him.</p>

<p>Of course we have no way of knowing what really went on. It is likely that the teacher recognized her own student’s sound. But it is also possible that she has trained her own student to the sound she prefers, and therefore felt good about grading that student higher. Your son may have played a wrong rhythm on the scales. (Most have a quarter note on the downbeat followed by eighths.) Or skipped the arpeggio. Or something basic like that. Sometimes the scales are weighted differently, so a mistake there costs more.</p>

<p>(Apologies in advance to those who’ve heard this story countless times.)
In 7th grade my son bobbled his scale, and didn’t even make all state. It happens. The following year he made first chair. </p>

<p>My son was in youth orchestra for grades 9, 10, and 11. (We moved away senior year.) I was so frustrated that he was never given the principal spot - each year he was beat out by someone I didn’t think was as good. I had a melt-down during junior year. I called his teacher and said, look, getting anywhere in music, you have to be at the top. My kid isn’t even at the top in our city! And there are lots more cities, and 50 states - how can he ever compete? (I was a little mad at the teacher, too, because he was a judge, and obviously knew the top two - he taught them both, and I was hurt that he chose the other.)</p>

<p>The teacher rightly rebuked me. He felt that his two students were both at the top. He also felt that it was advantageous to both to have the other as competition, as it would help them sharpen their own skills. </p>

<p>Now, I have to tell you, the teacher’s lecture didn’t really sway me all that much. I saw my S become discouraged - he made second chair at all state that year, and I was seeing a slump in his confidence. So I got busy. I found other things for him to do - camp scholarships to go after, competitions to enter, etc. He won those things, and got his confidence back. Fast forward a couple years, and both those students were two of the four accepted that year to Juilliard.</p>

<p>That was 7 years ago. Competition has gotten a lot easier for both of us. The audition circuit being what it is, rejections are far more numerous than wins, and a thicker skin becomes necessary for survival. I can go screaming to my grave, “It’s not fair!” and sometimes it really isn’t. But we’ve chosen to take each situation as a learning experience, and I am happy now when my S calls and says, “I didn’t advance, but now I know that next time I should…”</p>

<p>Great advice, binx! Thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>In general, I agree with binx, but there may be other factors at play as well. Do keep in mind that regardless of level, ANY audition based process can be a crapshoot.</p>

<p>Without knowing the specific state, and the adjudication methodology as well as the number, training and quality of adjudicators there COULD be some favoritism being shown. If you google “your states music educators association”, you should be able to view the criteria and procedures. There may also be a preset limit as to the number chosen from each region or district. Whether a teacher is required to recuse themselves from an adjudicating panel may or may not be stipulated. In some instances, a paucity of adjudicators may make that difficult, if not impossible. </p>

<p>As I recall in our state, adjudicators are typically asked to judge outside of the district in which they teach. </p>

<p>Some other All-State threads that may shed some light on the process:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1023076-how-big-deal-all-state-choir.html?highlight=all+state[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1023076-how-big-deal-all-state-choir.html?highlight=all+state&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/504562-all-state-vocal-competition-states-if-any-toughest.html?highlight=all+state[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/504562-all-state-vocal-competition-states-if-any-toughest.html?highlight=all+state&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/861731-texas-all-state.html?highlight=all+state[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/861731-texas-all-state.html?highlight=all+state&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;