Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Hi mom manager,
Me too! I call myself a facilitator. I think many of the people on CC have spent a lot of time facilitating their kids’ music. I’ve been doing it for so long, one of my kids is now a full-time professional musician (bassoon)…she now emails me for help and advice on tours, posters, fund raising, etc. My others are a French horn player in college and a cellist going into middle school. There has been lots of facilitating… and I still come back to CC for info and answers.</p>

<p>Good luck mom manager</p>

<p>My son just finished his last audition in piano performance. His top three choices are double degree at Bard, Oberlin and Lawrence. Most likely Environmental Studies as the second major. He also likes jazz but will major in piano performance. He visited all three and had great lessons and likes all three schools. Now we just wait and see but in the mean time would love to hear feedback on these three. Pros and Cons and things we should consider and might not be obvious.</p>

<p>Nice to “see” you again, team_mom! How’s all your kiddos? </p>

<p>I sign my emails to my music kids, “Momager.”</p>

<p>Thank you for the welcome violadad… yeah both Rice and Suny Purchase acceptances are B.M. (vocal performance)</p>

<p>Pianofam it’s probably better you created a separate thread for that specific question. But although I don’t have experience with Bard and Lawrence, Oberlin is my second choice and I love it. I didn’t know what to expect when I visited last summer but I really enjoyed it, if your son is fine with the podunk cornfield-esque town vibe then the school definitely makes up for it. I like the small town feel and cleveland is only 30ish minutes away. the school is amazing and certainly is one of the best up there for music and liberal arts, which is why the double degree program is so popular. they have a huge focus on environmental/green things and do a lot to uphold that. i think it would be a perfect choice for him</p>

<p>HI all –</p>

<p>I’m the mother of a tenor – we are waiting to hear about acceptances for BM vocal performance schools. I’m sure I will have lots of things to ask we try to weigh his options over the next month. Just glad to be at this point, finished with auditions! Top choices are Indiana, Rice and Maryland. Also Northwestern, but there’s no chance of merit scholarship there it would seem, alas. </p>

<p>Glad to have a forum!</p>

<p>Student! Pianist …double major in piano performance and Languages…Spanish…Korean, Chinese, French and any others I can learn. :)</p>

<p>Hi. I am a mom of a baritone. Have been perusing and gleaning information, lately a member, during the latish part of this process - thank you to everyone for the sage words! You have all given my son things to think about that he never knew to think about or consider. Now that acceptances are in, it looks like yet another difficult, part is beginning!</p>

<p>Hi Everyone,
It is now decision time for my daughter for music ed. Her main instrument is the oboe. (with 4 years in the high school marching band she plays the mallets as well but auditioned on the oboe)
She got accepted to University of Delaware, SUNY Fredonia, Buffalo University (which does not have a music ed program, SUNY Potsdam (but didn’t get into Crane), CUNY Queens.
It will be a tough decision for her - she’s waiting for all the scholarships to come in.
Is there anyone else who’s s/d plays the oboe? She is a little apprehensive of traveling 9 hours north.</p>

<p>rosenruby,</p>

<p>Welcome to CC. I can’t answer your oboe question, but I have included your daughter’s musical acceptances on the <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1045522-master-list-music-school-acceptances-fall-2011-a-51.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1045522-master-list-music-school-acceptances-fall-2011-a-51.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Would she be in a performance major, or something else having to do with music at Buffalo?</p>

<p>Note that mom2winds’ daughter is also a Music Education major on oboe. Although you do not seem to overlap with any schools, you may wish to compare notes via PM.</p>

<p>Good one BassDad! I just sent her a PM. I would love to compare notes.</p>

<p>You know you’re spending too much time on CC when BassDad’s puns go right over your head. </p>

<p>S auditioned for vocal performance this year. It has been quite an experience. He has been singing since age 7, but just last year started thinking of majoring in music. He began taking private voice lessons from a teacher who told him he had too many bad habits and he should not think of applying for classical voice. Never the less, we toured music schools on the east coast and in the midwest last spring. Despite all the advice to schedule sample lessons, we did not do that because I did not feel very secure about his abilities. (Do not ask me why we were visiting top level schools when I did not feel confident enough to schedule lessons - I know it does not make sense.) </p>

<p>Last summer, S participated in a local voice program and decided he really did want to pursue voice. We switched teachers in September, he started to work on audition pieces and he sent off 7 prescreens, not knowing what to expect. He passed 4 and was thrilled.<br>
S did a total of 7 auditions and got some positive feedback from teachers (Yes, we did schedule lessons this time and some teachers invited him to have a lesson!) We were feeling very positive about everything until he started receiving decisions. The first 3 were a waitlist and 2 rejections, including a rejection early this week from a school he thought was his top choice. The week ended on a high note with his first acceptance (finallY) on Wednesday, followed by one yesterday and today.</p>

<p>Thank you to all on CC. We had no idea what we were doing when this all started and I have relied on the knowledge, advice and support of many of you - either through your posts or PM’s. Thank you all for being so generous.</p>

<p>SoundMom,</p>

<p>if you’ve been spending too much time here, then I’ve been spending entirely too much because any pun that was in my response to rosenruby went over my head as well.</p>

<p>Oops, sorry. I did not mean to confuse. No pun that I caught…I was referring to BassDad finding me the - other oboe mom.</p>

<p>Up early today for a college visit…UMass today.</p>

<p>mom2winds, BassDad is a punaholic, and can be in self denial. There is at least one obvious pun.</p>

<p>I still don’t see it, but it is frightening to know that its starting to happen subconsciously.</p>

<p>And I made a “week” attempt at a pun in my post.</p>

<p>I have been lurking a while but am new to site. Great information here. I am mother of 11th grade cello playing son who wants to major in classical compostion either with a cello focus or double major in compostion and cello performance. Also have a 7th grade violinist, pianist, composer, classical violinist who I will be surprised does not do something in music when the time comes. While I went to music school myself it is very hard to decide what level of schools we should be looking at and so far son has mostly very hard to get into schools on his list and I feel like we need to find some safety schools where he would be happy. He has played cello since age 4, piano since 5. Been composing for a while-3 summer of composition at a chamber music camp. This is the first year he has a regular weekly composition teacher. (Well he actually has two) He is very talented but there are SO MANY kids who are very talented. Oberlin, Eastman are on the list of places to apply for sure. Going to look at Univ. of Michigan, Cleveland Institute, Indiana, Lawrence, Northwestern in a couple of weeks. Looked at NEC, Boston Con., Baldwin Wallace, Hartt and Bowdoin. Might look at Rice (far) Ithaca College and Purchase. Kid is a very academic kid and wants to be surrounding by smart, interesting people which is why so far Oberlin is perfect school for him-but you have to get in. He is going to Interlochen this summer but for orchestra not composition but we are hoping he can take composition class while he is there. Any thoughts about where else he should look? We live in New York State and were hoping to not him him all the way acrosss the country. Thanks for all of your great advice.</p>

<p>Cellocompmom - my son is a double degree composition student at Bard Conservatory whose primary instrument is cello. He plays non-stop, but in a new music ensemble, and the college, not conservatory, orchestra. He could have considered adding a third major in performance, but he’s too busy. His very first cello teacher is now adjunct faculty at Bowdoin. Looks like you’ve plenty enough on your list already - no real need for more. If he were interested in the BA route he could check out Williams and Swarthmore - both strong in composition. Also he should look at Tufts if he’s looking at NEC. They have a very supportive composition professor at Tufts. </p>

<p>Do know that the aesthetic of the composition faculty varies at the schools on your list - you’ll want to find out where he’s comfortable aesthetically as well as academically.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me with questions.</p>

<p>Well, on that note I stand corrected!</p>