My Chances

<p>Indian Male from Top school in Ohio</p>

<p>GPA: 3.2 UW/ 3.44 W (This part is very low but I've taken a rigorous course load so hopefully that will help)</p>

<p>SAT: 1330/1600, 1960/2400 (Retaking in October, aiming for 2000+)</p>

<p>Course load:
Honors Sophomore English, AP Junior English (5), AP Senior English
Honors Chemistry, AP Biology (3), AP Physics C
Honors Alegbra II, Honors Pre-Calculus, AP Statistics (5)
AP European History (4), AP US History (5), AP Economics (Micro and Macro)</p>

<p>EC's: I don't feel like typing them all out but I know they are at least average to above average for most colleges.
I think I'm a pretty good writer so if it comes down to it I can write a creative, original essay. </p>

<p>Schools I'm Interested In for Engineering:
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Wright State
Case Western</p>

<p>suggest some others that you think I may be a match for. Thanks!</p>

<p>Even for OOS that gpa is very low especially with the amount of APs you have taken. Your SAT is okay, but I am not sure if it is strong enough to over ride the gpa.</p>

<p>The positive you have is you are a URM and Tech wants diversity, that includes having students from all over the US. Those 2 factors will probably the reason you get in, but if you had said white male IS. I would have said no. I say this because there is a cliche in VA about VT and UVA. UVA is hard to get in, but easy to stay. Tech is easy to get in, but hard to stay. I am not sure academically that any of these schools are match for you based solely on the perspective of majoring in Engineering.</p>

<p>OBTW You should have taken Calc as an engineering major instead of Stats because you will need Calc for engineering and had you scored high enough on the AP it would have helped you for placement.</p>

<p>thanks for the input, and yes i am currently taking calculus but i decided not to take AP for a variety of reasons. I only included my “Honors and AP” course.</p>

<p>Strictly analytical & constructive.</p>

<p>You won’t get accepted straight into engineering. Getting into the engineering is like getting into UVa, maybe harder maybe not but pretty damn close and UVa is definitely out of reach. Into the general university is a high reach. It’s possible: make or break, and honestly it’s leaning more towards break. You want your SAT up in the 1400+/2200+ given your GPA. Someone I met on campus had 3.9 and ~2200 and didn’t get into engineering. Obviously the SAT was not the reason, so VT engineering definitely likes the “4.” VT doesn’t care about EC or LoR or personal statements/essays. URM definitely helps. OOS may actually help as well.</p>

<p>I don’t understand how you were allowed to take AP Physics C without having taken calculus. Are you sure it was not B?</p>

<p>Yes you are correct, I meant to say B. Also I think there was a misunderstanding when I said Indian, I should have specified “Asian Indian” as opposed to Native American. That probably really reduces my chances.</p>

<p>Actually that does not reduce your chances because it is still a URM.</p>

<p>Your true problem is admissions will place a ? by your name. The reason why, you have a low gpa and a strong SAT. To them they are going to question…does this child have the brains, but academically is lazy? Do they have a time mgmt problem and have spread themselves too thin? Is it a language barrier since you are a URM? Does the school profile illustrate that it is a very competitive school (i.e. how many go Ivy… 50% go IVY, you are good to go…, Private, State, 4 yr, 2 yr, etc) and these scores should not be viewed in the traditional sense?</p>

<p>Here is a link for the freshman class of 14 profile <a href=“http://www.admiss.vt.edu/forms/snapshot.pdf[/url]”>http://www.admiss.vt.edu/forms/snapshot.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>50% had a gpa between 3.71 and 4.17. The avg gpa was 3.96. I still think you can get in because OOS and URM, but I do believe Engineering probably would not be an academic match. You are way off in the gpa range from the avg. HS classes will be your foundation, and if you are pulling that low of a gpa, imagine Tech as a sling shot into another atmosphere, where you will not have the foundation to land safely.</p>

<p>Sorry, I know that is hard to hear, but getting in is one thing, staying in is totally different.</p>

<p>OBTW for No VA, the gpa scale is 10 pt, and AP is a 5.0 weight and Honors is 4.5. Maybe that would change your weight. If you look on your collegeboard SAT or ACT, they usually show on the bottom what college board views your gpa at, AND the colleges you had the scores sent to view it at. You might actually have a much higher wgpa in VT’s eyes. I just can’t see how you can have 9 AP’s and only a 3.44 wgpa, but a 3.2 gpa. What are your actual grades in those AP’s, not the scores. Maybe your gpa system is funky. Did you get all A’s in the AP classes where you scored 5’s? Or are you now facing that ? again where you got a 5 on the test, but a C in the class? In other words, one more reason for admissions to say, he has the brains, but not the fortitude?</p>

<p>Asian Indian is not considered URM.
with this WGPA where do you stand relative to the rest of your class? If it puts you at or near the top then that’s good. Did you take the most rigorous courseload? If yes then you might have a chance.</p>

<p>Again thanks for your replies. And I actually got mostly B’s in AP classes with a few A’s and a C in AP Biology. At the school I attend you receive no GPA boost for honors classes and 0.06 GPA boost for AP Classes. Before this year I had taken 5 AP exams but just 4 AP Classes as I self studied for AP Euro. Thats why I received a boost for the 4 AP classes * 0.06 for a total of a 0.24 GPA boost. Thats how I got the 3.2 and 3.44. </p>

<p>@ bulletandpima I am currently taking 3 AP’s and took 4 last year. I self studied Euro for a total of 8 AP’s not 9. Also I will try to rescore my own GPA based on what you said as those boosts are signficantly more than what my high school awards us. Hopefully if those get into more of the range I will have a better chance.</p>

<p>Ok so I rescaled my GPA based on what bulletandpima said as the standards for Virginia and it came out to be 3.66 GPA.</p>

<p>So if I am considered with a 3.66 GPA (top 25-35% of class) and assuming I raise my SAT to over 2000 (need 40 more points) do you guys think i will be a more realistic match?</p>