My selection possibility at Lehigh Univeristy

I am a high school graduate seeking admission at Lehigh University
Unweighted GPA: 3.61/4.0 (my school do not have weighted gpa system)
sat score: 1370 ( maths:790/800) It was my first attempt and planning to apply with
this score.
Awards: Gold honor in international youths maths challenge
National Award for being to best participant from the country in International
Youth Maths Challenge
Silver Honor in International Astronomy and Astrophysics Competition
Gold Honor in National Mathematics olympiad
Activities: I have been involved in many activities related to maths, including maths
clubs, voluntary works
Class rank: top 3% of 1600
I am applying to lehigh university in ed1, with full need based schlarship
What are my chances to get in?

I would not apply ED - because per their website, it costs an international approximately $87K a year and there is no assurance they will be able cover all your expenses. What is your major? If itā€™s STEM, I do not think you would get in - but with a full need scholarship and they are need aware, it would greatly lower your chances. Nor should you apply ED - because you would be bound and potentially blocked from other colleges - but the likelihood of them giving you all you need is very little and youā€™d then have a big problem. You should apply RD in my opinion. But I donā€™t see a good likelihood of getting in regardless. ED would give you the best chance to get the $$ you need - but as a need aware school, if they see you need full need and you are not the top top top of students, they will simply decline you. Thatā€™s just my opinion.

Lehigh University provides needā€based financial assistance to a limited number of admitted non-US citizens who have applied for financial aid and who have demonstrated financial need. It is our goal to meet 100% of the demonstrated need (not including travel and personal expenses) for as many admitted students as possible with the limited funds available. Admissions decisions for non-US citizens are, however, need-aware. This means that international citizens will be evaluated for admission with consideration of the ability of students, guardians, or sponsors to pay educational costs alongside our holistic admissions process. Some candidates who apply for financial aid and do not demonstrate need may be admitted without a financial aid offer. Other candidates whom we would like to admit may be declined because we have exhausted our financial aid budget.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also curious to know why Lehigh? Thatā€™s not a school thatā€™s really known outside the US. In fact, not even all that well known across the whole country. So how did you decide to pick Lehigh?

Where else do you plan to apply? And whatā€™s your backup plan if you donā€™t get into a U.S. colleges that you can afford?

Lehigh is not known to be very generous with aid. This would not be my recommendation for a student needing a full ride.

Did you finish high school already? You mention that you are a ā€œgraduateā€. Have you taken any college classes? If so you might be considered a transfer instead.

How much can your parents afford to pay each year?

If you took this once then your math score is either 790 or 800. There is no need to play games here. But more importantly, that means your English score is only 570 or 580. That is very low for a school like Lehigh. That alone may be enough to prevent admission. Iā€™m not sure this is a realistic school for an international student needing full aid.

Umm, I think that means 790 out of 800ā€¦

1 Like

I expect that an acceptance would be a longshot. You are an international asking for a full ride at a need aware college and your SAT is below the 25th percentile.
https://www1.lehigh.edu/admissions/admission-statistics

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s how I interpreted it.
Anyway OP hasnā€™t been back in nearly 3 weeks. Another hit and run post.

2 Likes

Oops.

Sorry OP. I read it wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.