My son and I are visiting the week of Aug. 8

<p>Am I correct that school will not be in session? Has anybody been on a visit while school was out? Will we be able to get a full picture of campus life despite that? Thanks.</p>

<p>(btw… as an LSU alum, I can’t tell you people how hard this is for me. But I’m doing it for my kid. He is a likely NMSF and Bama is high on his list. However, I’m afraid he will have to endure me wearing purple and gold during our visit.)</p>

<p>Welcome! Bama has a great NMF package as you well know. My D is a rising NMF freshman and she is excited to be going to Bama. There are so many opportunities for all of the students not just the NMF’s. </p>

<p>Looks like the finals for summer are on Aug. 4, 5 so no classes. Make sure you miss graduation day. </p>

<p>Have you set up a tour with Alison in the Honors College? You should. </p>

<p>My D and I first visited Bama the day before Thanksgiving her junior year. While not ideal she still was excited. Since it’s summer, stay cool and drink water.</p>

<p>This is what M2CK posts for everyone who wants to visit:</p>

<p>Ask to see the dorms…if you qualify for honors, ask to see the honors dorms.</p>

<p>Touring dorms is not part of the regular tour.</p>

<p>If you have the stats for the Honors College, then go by there.</p>

<p>What is your major? </p>

<p>Do you need restaurant recs?</p>

<p>If you qualify for honors…</p>

<p>send an email ASAP to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>School doesn’t start until later in August.</p>

<p>My older son just spent several weeks on LSU’s campus doing a research project. :slight_smile: Love Chimes!!! </p>

<p>Have you contacted the honors college to let them know that you’re coming? If not…do this…</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Let us know if we can help you in any way…</p>

<p>Here’s some restaurant and hotel recs…</p>

<p>Hampton Inn - Harper Lee Drive
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites - on Veterans Memorial Hwy
Microtel Inn and Suites - on Veterans Memorial Hwy
Hometown Suites - on Veterans Memorial Hwy</p>

<p>There are more…you can find more at Hotels.com or Expedia for Tuscaloosa, AL</p>

<p>To eat! :)</p>

<p>Bento Japanese Steakhouse - on The Strip (the Bento Chicken is awesome)
1306 University Blvd.
205.758.7426</p>

<p>Depalma’s Italian Cafe - Downtown
2300 University Blvd.
205.759.1879</p>

<p>Five Guy’s Burgers & Fries - Midtown Village
1800 McFarland Blvd.
250.391.0575</p>

<p>Iguana Grill - Mexican - Midtown Village
1800 McFarland Blvd</p>

<p>Longhorn Steakhouse - Midtown Village
1800 McFarland Blvd</p>

<p>Mellow Mushroom - Downtown
2230 University Blvd.
205.758.0112</p>

<p>Mugshots - Downtown
511 Greensboro Ave.
205.391.0572</p>

<p>Wing’s U (Crimson Tide Decor) - Midtown Village
1800 McFarland Blvd
Tuscaloosa</p>

<p>The Strip map
[Tuscaloosa</a> Restaurants On the Strip Locator Maps](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosarestaurant.com/Restaurant-Maps/On-The-Strip.html]Tuscaloosa”>http://www.tuscaloosarestaurant.com/Restaurant-Maps/On-The-Strip.html)</p>

<p>there are others, but these are some of our favs!</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>lol…I see I cross-posted with Cuttle. :)</p>

<p>Hi M2CK! Just trying to help a little.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys. Great suggestions. I’ll email Alison.</p>

<p>While you are walking around walk past sorority row…over 3000 girls will be there preparing for Recruitment! My son considered helping DD move in to Tut last year the best experience of his life…all he kept doing was shaking his head and saying “what a view” and he wasn’t referring to Bryant Denney!</p>

<p>:) ahpimommy!</p>

<p>The girls at Alabama are just gorgeous…there’s no other way around that. My H an I have said that many times.</p>

<p>When my SIL visited Bama in January, she said that she’d never seen such beautiful girls anywhere…and her kids go to Calif universities.</p>

<p>I’ll not comment since I’m bringing my D down in 2 weeks! But I will join in the fun before NJB or ATL68 do. So, I heard that the girls are pretty at AU too … that is until they open up their mouths and your eyes notice that they have no teeth, and your ears hear the distinct sound of mooing! :)</p>

<p>lol that a boy Dad2ILD. It’s never too early to start hating auburn :-)</p>

<p>And I think that the male/female ratio slightly favors the males, if I remember correctly. LOL</p>

<p>Yeah I think 53% of the students on campus are FEMALE. Hopefully we can get that percentage a lil higher. 90% should be the goal IMHO :-)</p>

<p>I don’t know about that…when the ratio gets like that, other problems arise. It’s best to keep it close to half and half. :)</p>

<p>I’ll not comment since I’m bringing my D down in 2 weeks!</p>

<p>I’m sure she’ll be another jewel in the Bama Crown of Beauties. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I agree! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Mentioning this is also a great way to embarrass high school age boys who are visiting campus. However, their parents will happily discuss this fact. :)</p>

<p>Even us middle-aged mommas can’t miss the view. </p>

<p>It must be something in the water…gorgeous skin, hair, eyes…and on and on.</p>

<p>when the ratio gets like that, other problems arise.</p>

<p>LOL, yeah, Andrew Ferguson discuses that in Crazy U. 60/40 seems to be the fatal percentage. Then the problems arise. Just ask the girls at UNC, where the ratio is 60/40.</p>

<p>M2CK…in the water? I’m thinking business opportinunity!! LOL</p>