MyBama update

<p>Lisa, it will be fine. First, I can’t imagine that are that many rising frosh CS majors who will have all the AP credit your son does. Second, if you look at the sections of these classes in previous semesters, the numbers are just a little higher than what’s being shown now. For example, Fall 2012 there were 48 slots in CS 351.</p>

<p>Before you depart for BB, try to get hold of someone in CS dept (whoever the advisor is for you - and here is a list: [Advising</a> - Undergraduate Students - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/advising/]Advising”>http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/advising/), based on alpha last name) to discuss this. I’m sure they will reassure you, but it is good idea to have some contact with them beforehand, so when you meet them at BB, they can put name to face and you’re already on their radar. </p>

<p>Has your student already received AP grade (i.e., taken test last year), and if not, is there a remote possibility that they would not get required AP score to qualify for this jump? Advisors will definitely ask you those questions. Do you think that you will run into the argument that they want you to re-take the CS courses (similar to how eng’g dept recommends students to start/take math at UA, not transfer it in, so that everyone has the same foundation)? </p>

<p>Surely someone out there on CC has had experience with these AP CS credits and can weigh in for you…But, regardless, it WILL work out! ;)</p>

<p>Lisa, we had a similar issue last year with a couple business courses that are not typically freshman courses. One of them had only a once a week section open (2-1/2 hours in one sitting, at night no less) that D wasn’t wild about, and the other was completely closed. At BB D signed up for the one available section of the first course, and then altered her plan and simply chose a different course since there were no spots at all available in the second course. Over the course of the summer, as upperclassmen switched their schedules around, spots in different sections of the first course opened up, but most conflicted with D’s schedule. Her only option was another 2-1/2 hour class, but at least it was during the afternoon instead of at night, and she grabbed that seat right away. For the second course, spots did open up that D could have taken, but by then she’d decided to just stick with the alternate course she chose at Bama Bound. </p>

<p>My point is that while your freshman might initially be closed out of courses that are typically for upperclassmen, and additional seats may not open for freshmen at Bama Bound, if you keep checking throughout the summer there may be seats available as the upperclassmen monkey with their schedules. And if not, there are lots of other classes that the kids need at this point, so I’m sure he can find something else he needs to take. And after the first semester, the honors college registration priority is incredibly helpful. Best of luck!!</p>

<p>D had Tan Yu Lee for Calc III and would recommend him. She had Evans for Linear Algebra and liked him as well.</p>

<p>In addition to Evans (Lin Alg), shout out to Tan Yu Lee (for Diff EQ) and Weihua Geng (Calc III)! S told me repeatedly how much he enjoyed all 3 of these profs his first year at UA. Very helpful and willing to work with students. Lee and Geng also gave him letters of rec when he needed them.</p>

<p>^Lattelady, our kids had Linear Algebra together this past semester. I didn’t realize that. </p>

<p>My son said Linear Algebra is one class he really used the book a lot for.</p>

<p>Son was a freshman during a July bama bound last year. He had alot of AP credits and was registering for the lower level required Engineering classes and upper CS classes. He had a hard time getting what he wanted, mostly because so many classes were 1 and 2 credits and they conflicted with any of the 3 or 4 credit classes he wanted. He ended up with 13 credits for the first semester. He did try to go in later to change some, but was overwhelmed as if one changed, then alot of the other classes had to change too and I think he wasn’t confident enough to “play” with his schedule and possibly lose what he had. For the CS major this year, scheduling this year should be easier as I heard the required engineering 1 credit classes are combined into one 3 credit class. Plus you have an earlier scheduling time so you may get exactly what you need. It was an easy first semester for my son but he had time to go to all the games and to get use to being on his own so I guess it worked out. He has registered twice more and now has not difficulty getting the classes he wants/need.</p>

<p>About the recommendation about taking the intro CS courses again, Don’t. If your student did well on the CS AP exam he probably will just find these repetitive. S had no problem jumping to the sophomore CS classes.</p>

<p>I did not recommend taking the CS courses again. (I have no experience with CS at all!) I am just wondering if UA staff ever recommend doing so, like they have done for math courses in the past (post by Class2012mom awhile back on this subject). It’s always reassuring to know that AP exams actually do test your ability to move forward in certain subjects, in this case CS.</p>

<p>^^^Sorry Aeromom, its been a long day and I misread your post. When S was in the initial information session about making your schedule, the head of CS was there. S talked to him briefly and it seemed the dean had no problem with S taking the higher level CS courses. I seem to remember that S had to get an “override” to take these classes but don’t remember the details…I know he didn’t have a problem registering for these classes the next day.</p>

<p>C2012M, D did mention that to me! She said there also in the same Alabama Action group.</p>

<p>DD1 did what kjcphmom’s son did, adjusting her schedule at least 3 times over the summer before Freshman year. She had to do this because she was taking mostly intro business classes and demand exceeded seats in some of them.</p>

<p>DD2 will be starting a semester ahead in her EE curriculum (except for ENGR 103) and will have all but one Gen Ed requirement completed through AP credits, so we are expecting her options to be less flexible. That is why I counseled her to work out all the acceptable permutations she could BEFORE going to BB. Then, if there is a problem, she will have done her homework and would be better able to evaluate her options during BB and look for scheduling opportunities later in the summer.</p>

<p>I would add that it is VERY helpful to have a 4 year plan laid out well before BB. DD and DH evaluated all of the pre-req/co-req critical paths and were able to design a 4 year plan in EE where DD will not have to take more than 14 credits in any semester (unless she wants to) and will still have room to complete a double major or minor.</p>

<p>This 4 year plan will obviously evolve over time, but the critical paths have all been identified and opportunities for flexibility have been reviewed. DD2 is going into this so much less stressed out than DD1 was 3 years ago.</p>

<p>The wait list columns disappeared?</p>

<p>We cannot get degreeworks to come up. Tried Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari. We have been able to use it previously, so we are attributing it to the mybama changes.</p>

<p>But, we have been able to look up classes successfully. </p>

<p>We put in a problem ticket at the IT Service Desk. Has anyone had similar degreeworks problem?</p>

<p>DW does not work in our house…using Firefox as well. Haven’t tried other browsers. It worked about 3 hours ago, but not now! Gremlins.</p>

<p>Comforting to know we are not alone. This is bad timing for the BB #1 folks.</p>

<p>Can’t access DW right now from Safari. Had no problem earlier today.</p>

<p>DW not working here either, but will that really affect us at BB? Do the kids register through DW or through the other links on mybama? Look up classes is still working.</p>

<p>I think you’ll be fine without DW. You can use the Finish in Four grids. We didn’t use DW much until after the AP credits were pulled in, and it was really in the fall when D was able to add her second major that we started to get the most use out of it.</p>

<p>Lattelady – what are the Finish in Four grids? Are they separate from Degree Works?</p>