National Achievement Finalists

I just received my letter stating that I’m a Finalist! I figured that others may have received theirs as well, and since I didn’t see a topic in the NM section, I thought I would post it here so we could all congratulate each other! :smiley: //throws confetti

What state are you in

@forian I’m from Oklahoma, and my letter was dated Jan 23, so it took its sweet time getting here.

Congrats!!!

Yes there is one National Achievement thread on the National Merit board. People are posting their thoughts and their receipt of letters. Congrats to you!

@madaboutx a Thanks! :3

@Rtdsmith Huh, I couldn’t find it, only two rejection topics and one for the class of 2016. Mind linking it to me?

I took my PSAT in October and got the score back at the beginning of January. If I haven’t gotten any notification is it safe to assume that I’m not a semi finalist or anything? Or is this something you find out in senior year?

@Slytherclaw12‌ Yes, it’s something you find out during the first semester if your senior year, so there’s hope :3

@Slytherclaw12 This is the last year that National Achievement will be done this way. It is being transferred the UNCF. The scholarship will be for college students.

@notaboutme‌ Do you mean that the people that recently took the PSAT will be counted or this is the last class of seniors who will get National Achievement?

@sebethpin‌ …Finallygot the letter at home on January 29…Principal at school has yet to give him the certificate or even tell him…smh

@forian you are not alone. Nothing for S from the Principal either. The only reason he ever got the semifinalist certificate is because he asked his GC to hunt it down. He doesn’t care enough to bother asking this time around.

@planner03‌ Thanks for that information…It upset me because the school my S attends almost daily posts information about the athletic teams but have to be prodded to post academic accomplishments. For my family this was MAJOR. As a matter of fact, I just sent an email to his principal asking if he had received any notifications for the National Merit scholarship since my S was a finalist there also. Several local schools are already reporting their finalists.

@forian My school hasn’t told me either, but we get recognized at an awards ceremony in May. In your situation, I agree, smh. This kind of recognition only makes the school look better, so it’s beyond me why schools don’t give honors like this more publicity.

My D got the award a couple years ago. We ended asking the guidance counselor about it. They got the award around this time of year and held until an academic awards ceremony in June. We also has to tell the principal to make a big deal out of it.

We saw some schools use national achievement and national merit to gain recognition for the school. So, they put it on the school website along with other winners and mentioned it a couple other places. Then we got it mentioned along with other awards and achievements mentioned in a local magazine. The press is really good and potentially important because it comes up when my D is searched on the Internet so it has lasting value - employers look up applicants and we know at least one child has all positive stuff pop up.

Does anyone know when recipients of the scholarship are notified? Last year, I think it was late Feb/ early March

I made finalist. My school will probably announce it at our end of year awards. I think we should be getting notified of are scholarships soonish if we got anything…

The results are up on the portal! The letters were mailed today.

Got the scholarship!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I got the scholarship as well!! :smiley: