National Merit Finalist at Cal Poly - Scholarships?

Hi everyone! I thought I would consult the hivemind and see if anyone has experience with the National Merit program and Cal Poly SLO. In the congrats email from Cal Poly, it says “If you are a National Merit Finalist, a National Hispanic Scholar, or have received a National Achievement Scholarship, we ask that you email a copy of your award confirmation to . . . by April 1, 2018.”

Question (perhaps you might know, @eyemgh ) is what are they going to do with that info? I wasn’t under the impression that Cal Poly was a participating school for the NM program, but does anyone know if they do offer more scholarship money for those kids?

Son already received the Green and Gold, but we are wondering if there could be more/better money in his future. Any insight into what they do with this information would be appreciated!

I’m not in the know on this. Sorry.

That’s okay, @eyemgh ! I called and they said that having the verification that you are one of those scholars allows them to flag your file in Financial Aid and opens up more scholarships at an institutional level. Financial Aid doesn’t take calls on Fridays, so I just spoke with someone in Admissions, but I will update again on Monday with more info to potentially help future kids in this situation!

Have a great weekend!

Would love to know what you find out. My son won’t be a senior till next year, but plans to apply to Cal Poly and is a National Hispanic Scholar. Thanks in advance!