National Merit Finalist Texas A&M

FYI for you guys…That $500 is always late in appearing in your portal every semester. It comes about a month after classes start. At least that’s how it worked the 4 years my D was there. She always had a second refund come later.

I wanted to follow-up with any of you still around - how was your student’s first year at TAMU?

Did they have any trouble maintaining the 3.5 GPA, especially in engineering?

Did the engineering honors courses hurt their GPA?

With the National Merit scholarship and a foundation scholarship, we are close to a full ride but not quite. Did any of you receive additional scholarships past May?

My son has not had trouble with keeping the 3.5. I was pretty concerned about that requirement but he did very well first semester and so far doing well this semester. He took honors for his engineering 111/112 and they have both gone well. I think that class is getting completely reworked for next year and maybe combined with physics. My son thinks the new class will be much better as we have heard bad things about the current physics classes. My son is taking ap credit for physics 118 and will take 108 over the summer through another college. As far as scholarships go, he got the Brown Scholarship, we had been under the impression it would be a full ride but until the summer it wasn’t looking like it. Then a few more scholarships trickled in and it has been wonderful! Overall we have only paid for his parking permit and sports pass. Just an amazing opportunity!
He has lived in the honors engineering llc in Mosher which has been ok. He ended up with a really good roommate which is great but he hasn’t done anything with the llc and he indicates that his floor doesn’t really do anything together. I don’t know if that is just him or if there is really not much to the llc. If he had to choose again, I’m guessing he would choose to live in one of the modular dorms instead of the commons. But it’s been fine. He and his roomie have signed a lease for an apartment for next semester,

@rosegeo - thanks for the reply! The 3.5 GPA requirement really concerns me because I’ve read that some of the professors grade harshly (instead of fairly!). I’m relieved to read your son has done well and received additional scholarships! Thank you!

What Foundation have you received scholarships from? Is it the Brown Foundation?

Same foundation as you @rosegeo.

It is a wonderful offer. Having read about the physics grades and kids having trouble registering for classes still worries me a bit.

Congrats on the Brown Scholarship! As far as registration goes, I will say it has been a bit stressful for my son both times but in the end he has ended up with the classes he has needed. After the first semester registration at the nsc, they do have an advantage being in honors as they get to register early. What engineering major are you looking at?

Thanks for the info. Not 100% sure of the major, yet. Are your son’s friends keeping their GPA up as well?

Unfortunately some of his friends have not kept their grades up to the 3.5 level. Most that have struggled are not needing it for scholarships so the incentive is not nearly as big. I think that most students that get the the Brown Scholarship have the skills they need to succeed.

Did anyone accept the $2500 scholarship from National Merit Corp? Did it take the place of TAMU’s $500 per year? I’ve gotten 2 different answers when I contacted financial aid.

My son got a corporate sponsored $1000 a year and that did take away a $500 a year scholarship listed on the possible NMF scholarships for TAMU.

Thank you @rosegeo. Our $2500 award is a one-time payment, but I guess it’s still $500 more than TAMU’s.

asking TAMU NM scholars, My D was invited to summer NSI. Is National Scholar Invitational worth attending?