National Merit Scholarship/Kemper K. Knapp Scholarship

<p>I was offered both a $2500 scholarship from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation and the $7000 scholarship from Madison. The corporation said that students may only receive scholarship money from one place, but since the Kemper K. Knapp Scholarship is not technically the National Merit Scholarship from UW-Madison (Madison offers a separate NMS), does it apply? The person in charge of the Kemper K. Knapp Scholarship is out of the office until next Monday, but I need to accept or decline the offer from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation by tomorrow. Does anybody know if I can accept both scholarships?</p>

<p>You can accept non-NMS scholarships. They won’t let you take two of theirs- eg a coroprate sponsored NMS and a school sponsored NMS. Go ahead and accept the scholarships. The worst case scenario would be to lose the NMS one. Back in my day I deferred one of my various scholarships to my second year to be able to max out on them (tuition and other costs were a lot less and the state’s scholarship would have been less because of my corporate one time NMS and father’s company one)- but this isn’t necessary for you. Congratulations on the awards! Enjoy UW and don’t skimp on books and things like I did to save money.</p>

<p>Thank you for the help! I am looking forward to being a badger. :)</p>