need quick answer please---should i apply to general studies as 2nd major?

<p>my first choice is in engineering, and i probably won't get in, and i don't really have a second choice. would it be better to apply to a random major in the college of science (if i'm not interested in pursuing that major) or should i just apply to general studies? thanks</p>

<p>what engineering major are you interested in???
You should pick 2 of the engineering majors and go with that.
If you are accepted and do not get into engineering you will auto go into general studies.</p>

<p>Someone tell idk2016 the least popular engineering major for him to put as 2nd choice major.</p>

<p>I thought at A&M the majors are on a first come first serve basis…as long as the major is not filled by the time they admit you, you should be in? The major you choose should not affect your chances of getting in.</p>

<p>I could be wrong tho since I’m auto admitted, and accepted into petroleum engineering right away…(received the actual mail last Saturday)</p>

<p>Electrical Engineering is one of the last ones to fill up, and they have quite a few openings to start with.</p>

<p>I would apply to two majors in the college of engineering, and hope for at the least getting accepted to the university as general studies. Whatever major you pick is not influential into whether you make it into the university or not.</p>

<p>im1knight - 1st come 1st serve admission is not always the case. Engineering has specific SAT math requirements - you can be in top10% and not have the SAT scores to get ino the college of Engineering, Mays, Architecture - just to name a few
Sometimes automatic admission only gets you into A&M</p>

<p>This would need to be confirmed by someone else but I’ve heard that if you’re going to pick another engineering major, stick to the same track (i.e. Track A, Track B, or Track C). If I’m not mistaken, Track C is petroleum and chem, Track B is electrical and comp and Track A is everything else. I’ve heard some people say that if you end up not getting your preferred engineering major and get stuck in an engineering major that’s in a different track, it’s not impossible but it’s a headache to get back into the track you originally wanted.</p>

<p>auto admit only gets you into A&M in general. From there, it’s generally decided based on your preferences and availability which major you will start off with.</p>

<p>I have also known people who had no headache at all changing tracks. Ultimately, gaining the ever so few skills you get from the different tracks is so easy to make up for that if it were me, I would disregard them and try to get into the engineering program at all cost. The real headache (if you want to call it one) is not having your foot in the door and having to try even harder to prove yourself and make a transfer possible. From the outside looking in, you have to make yourself look real good to get that transfer. People go about it all different ways, but I don’t see why anyone would put down a major in a different college that they have no/little interest in. If you can’t get into a major within the college you want, then take the general studies/transfer path. This is one thing the general studies plan is for.</p>

<p>[General</a> studies changes a major adjustment for Texas A&M | Bryan/College Station, Texas - The Eagle](<a href=“http://www.theeagle.com/am/A-major-adjustment--6730507]General”>http://www.theeagle.com/am/A-major-adjustment--6730507)</p>

<p>An interesting article on the future of General Studies major at Texas A&M. I would certainly read if I planned to use General Studies as one of my major choices on my application.</p>