New 405 bed dorm starts construction

<p>Hopefully enough rooms to house all new freshmen who want dorm space when completed. </p>

<p><a href="https://fpm-www3.fpm.wisc.edu/cpd/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1VMTKTQNFD8%3d&tabid=183&mid=1264%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://fpm-www3.fpm.wisc.edu/cpd/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1VMTKTQNFD8%3d&tabid=183&mid=1264&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Here’s what I don’t understand Barrons. The UW dorms have a total of about 6900 spaces based on the information provided on the UW Housing website. The data digest suggests the freshman class size has been about 5,700 for something like the last 30 years. If there are currently 6900 spaces and only 5700 freshmen, why can’t all the freshmen that want to live in UW dorms live in UW dorms? The math would indicate that every freshmen attending UW would have a space in the dorms with plenty of room left over. What am I missing?</p>

<p>Sophomores live in dorms too. I’d say at least enough do to make up the space between those figures. I think they make each dorm have to be at least 50% freshmen, but returning students do get first pick, I believe.</p>

<p>Exactly. They want to allow some sophs and others to remain in the dorms to mentor and provide some role models for the freshmen. And some don’t want to leave. You also have fairly large numbers of house fellows AKA RAs who help supervise the dorms.</p>

<p>Got it. So UW does have room for all the freshman that want to live in the dorms however, they have made the decision to limit the number of freshmen they take because they want to be able to keep some sophomores etc. Seems like a good move, but a little disingenuous to suggest they need more dorms specifically because they are currently unable to house all the freshmen when they have actually chosen not to do so. The renderings look super nice.</p>

<p>Insofar as I know there is no requirement that you move out after your sophomore year, either. I believe it is still possible to stay in the dorms throughout your undergraduate career. Most don’t, but if you prefer the efficiency of nearness to classrooms and having meals made for you it is a reasonable alternative. Especially so if you can get a quieter dorm away from the ever-ebullient new students. If you wish to stay over summer sub-letting options off-campus abound.</p>

<p>Yeah, I think I know a senior who lives in the dorms. That’s very rare, though.</p>

<p>Humbaba1-yup, that’s pretty much it. UW has something of an aversion to making too many lifestyle requirements/rules for students. They like to assume students are adults and mature enough to choose their own paths. While good in theory it sometimes yields less than optimal results.</p>

<p>Res Halls offers dorm space to all undergrads, not just freshmen (although the dorms are at least 50% filled with them). Many sophomores choose (or their parents choose for them) to return to the dorms every year, far fewer juniors and seniors do. Returning students do get first pick of the rooms, hence the most popular will likely only have the minimum 50% available to freshmen. Semantics- “keep”, “limit”, “disingenuous”, “want”, “chosen” are not used well in this thread- loaded and inaccurate usage.</p>

<p>Currently there are many more decent apartments closer to campus than decades ago, changing the choices made by students. It actually can be a good thing to learn how to live in an apt while still in school with a familiar location and much peer support instead of away for a first job. 18 year old students ARE adults legally and should be treated as such, including being responsible for making lifestyle choices. Living in the dorms does not lead to any more optimal results if the postings regarding drinking/partying are true- dorm life does not prevent poor choices.</p>