New College

<p>What is the story with the New College. It sounds “new-agey” to me as well, like Blount. We did meet with the Dean the first time we were there and S has another meeting tomorrow I think. It sounds kind of scary to graduate with a major no one else has, or am I misinterpreting?
Why not just take a major and minor or double major? I’m not sure about forcing 2 disparate things into something that makes sense. If it works, fine.</p>

<p>We keep going back to one of our first college tours, this small LAC in the NE that either didn’t have grades or had 3 levels that you progressed to instead of 4 years. On paper I though it was a great match for S, about 2000 students, individual attention, etc. This is why you visit initially I think, to find out what you didn’t want. And, S stuck out like a sore thumb. So when anything seems a little “new agey” this is the vision we have. And I think this is one of the reasons S says that he wants a traditional college experience.</p>

<p>I know there is a New College in Florida. Sounds great, but I think the name is a little nondescript.</p>

<p>My son considered it, but if you come in with a lot of AP credits, then it’s a bit of an issue because New College has some req’d courses that my son already had the Core Req’ts from AP credits.</p>

<p>I think it works well for some (especially a pre-law major), but for many, picking a major and a minor work as well, too.</p>