Second majors and Degreeworks

<p>If/when my son adds a second major, will that show up in DegreeWorks? I think the registrar will have to set him up with that and that it will show up, but I’m not sure. Anybody have any experience with this?</p>

<p>If he doesn’t add a major, he will graduate in 3 years. And who wants that?</p>

<p>My D added her second major last semester by stopping by the advisors for A&S. They both show up on DW as well as her minor. We are also not taking the early graduation route.</p>

<p>DS had a second major added and I do not see it on Degreeworks. Also do not see anyplace where they could add it.</p>

<p>Sorry, not much help but I don’t think it will show.</p>

<p>Cross posted with Lattelady…not sure why she is seeing her D’s but I am not seeing S’s. Possibly depends on area???</p>

<p>Yeah, we wouldn’t want that :slight_smile: I’m encouraging the 5 year masters program as well, but not sure that will work.</p>

<p>DS declared his double major shortly after Fall semester started and his DW lists both majors (top right of Student View in DW). Additionally DW also has an additional section for his second major which lists the requirements for the major . I do not know if area of study makes a difference. DS is ECE/Physics major.</p>

<p>Yes, both majors should show up. My D added a second major for this same reason and it shows up on her DegreeWorks</p>

<p>D added a 2nd major last semester & it shows up in DegreeWorks. One is an A&S and the other is a business major. </p>

<p>Slippy: don’t feel bad. D will be adding a 9th semester, due to cramming in prereqs for the 2nd major. Or as we like to call it in this house, a bonus football season.</p>

<p>RobD - Roll Tide! Love the way you think.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info…starting to sound like DS’s 2nd major hasn’t been completely added at this point. Very possible since the decsion to add a 2nd wasn’t made until mid December. Likely that a step got dropped in the late semester craziness.</p>

<p>Will email him and have him put it on the list of things he needs to check on.</p>

<p>If he doesn’t add a major, he will graduate in 3 years. And who wants that?</p>

<p>Certainly not him; he wants to be around for as many Bama BCS titles as he can.</p>

<p>oh, just saw Rob’s post…lol…great minds… </p>

<p>Anyway, I’m happy that S2 has been on campus for 3 BCS titles…who won’t enjoy those memories forever?</p>

<p>My S will be getting his Master’s in 4 yrs vs a double major. :)</p>

<p>^^That’s a very good use of time and scholarship, RTRMom. D was disappointed that History is not available in the University Scholars Program. Now she is considering law school. I’m just sitting back and enjoying the view. She is trying to accomplish a lot, but is loving every minute of it (so far)! I’m thankful that she is at a place that gives her so many options.</p>

<p>D was disappointed that History is not available in the University Scholars Program</p>

<p>If a major isn’t available in USP, there is a way to get to get it approved.***</p>

<p>***Any department that offers a graduate program may, with the approval of the dean of the Graduate School, participate in the University Scholars Program. </p>

<p>The following programs currently are approved to participate in the University Scholars Program:
Advertising and Public Relations
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
Applied Statistics
Biological Sciences
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Communication Studies
Computer Science
Consumer Sciences
Criminal Justice
Economics (College of Commerce & Business Administration)
Economics (College of Arts & Sciences)
Electrical & Computer Engineering
English
Finance
French
Geography
German
Health Studies (Sports Medicine Concentration)
Human Nutrition and Hospitality Management (Food & Nutrition Concentration)
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
Operations Management
Physics & Astronomy
Political Science</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Where is USP described on the website? I used the search function but can not find it…</p>

<p>[Special</a> Academic Programs < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/specialacademicprograms/#universityscholarsprogramtext]Special”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/specialacademicprograms/#universityscholarsprogramtext)</p>

<p>click on the USP tab</p>

<p>Got a question about something said on that page about Phase I of UHP. Here is a quote, and my question is about the starred info:
Phase I
Admission to Phase I is by invitation of the department and the dean of the Graduate School. Admission is chiefly determined by the faculty’s estimate of a student’s talents, motivation and potential for graduate study. Students may also apply for admission to Phase I through their major department during the second semester of the sophomore year. Contingent upon completion of 61 semester hours of study and with a grade point average in all courses taken of not less than 3.30 (<em>as computed without the plus/minus system</em>), students are admitted to Phase I at the beginning of their junior year on recommendation of the departments to which they have applied. During the junior year, students will take between four and six courses in their major field, as advised by their departments, to prepare them for the work of Phase II. Students seeking admission to Phase I will be informed by their departments if their admission requirements differ from those specified here.</p>

<ul>
<li>What do they mean by "as computed without the plus/minus system?</li>
</ul>