New statewide fin aid program

<p>The impact of this may be to attract more of the top instate kids to Madison. It also could free-up some $$$ for OOS fin aid which is needed.</p>

<p>Statements</a> from UW-Madison leadership on the Morgridge scholarship gift (Dec. 18, 2007)</p>

<p>WOW! My heartfelt appreciation to the Morgridge family. </p>

<p>I am curious if other big time UW-graduated CEOs will come close matching the Morgridges in near future.</p>

<p>With a major new capital campaign in the offing I think several of the recently retired ones may be very high on the list. Lee Raymond, Carolyn Bartz, are a couple who have been active from time to time.</p>

<p>The Chancellor mentioned that there was a big announcement in the works on student aid. Obviously this is what he was talking about. The Provost said that the next major fund raising campaign for Madison is going focus on raising funds for student financial assistance. Do expect a major increase in tuition to go along with this. It's the only way the University can get extra money to raise faculty salaries. The Provost believes that the increase in tuition is necessary.</p>

<p>I think that (higher tuition) will lead the UW into a buzzsaw of opposition from both sides of the spectrum. Best bet is to do it with surcharges for certain expensive majors as business has done. Also keep fundraising to offset tuition.</p>

<p>Barrons:</p>

<p>The problem with surcharges is that it will make the discrepancies in salaries between professors in some schools and the professors where most of the students are actually enrolled even worse.</p>

<p>That's unfortunate but it's the market today. Business and Engineering and many science profs earn more everywhere and that is a fact. This just helps UW stay competitive in those high demand fields. If you choose to get a PhD in English or History you should know that your pay, IF you get a job, is going to be lower. Many more students would enroll in business if they had the spots. It just cost twice as much to create than other slot for an English major. I have zero problem with that and if the English profs are whining they can go on down the road. There are 10 waiting to take that spot.<br>
UW does not operate in a vacuum despite what some people in the state might wish. The liberal arts crowd needs to get moving and raise some serious cash if they want more pay etc.</p>

<p>The College of Letters and Sciences is the second largest college in Wisconsin. It is where the majority of the UW-Madison students study. It includes underfunded science programs as well as the liberal arts. It seems to me that the area where most of the students are enrolled shouldn't be the worst funded portion of the University.</p>

<p>Science profs do as well as business and engineering. I am for an overall tuition increase too--around $10,000/yr would be fine. At that level they might not have to resort to surcharges as that would bring in $50 M a year more. As it stands it's an effective band-aid to keep the more expensive to operate programs running. I don;t find it unfair that students who are getting $25,000 a year in education have to pay more than those who only cost $10,000. As shown, students see that too.</p>