Walker makes case for independent UW-Madison

<p>I don't know if he blowing smoke but he makes sense in this case.</p>

<p>Gov</a>. Scott Walker: Authority status for UW-Madison will help all System schools</p>

<p>What will this mean to oos students? Can they expect significant increases in tuition?</p>

<p>That will happen under any scenario. Under the Martin/Walker plan there also would be better OOS fin aid. BM is very clear that her goal for tuition is to move to around the 75th percentile of the B10.</p>

<p>Do we think that this new system will trim overall non-academic staff and free up money to hire more professors?</p>

<p>Too early to tell and a long way to go. I don’t have a handle on how much money gets siphoned from Madison through the System out to other campuses. With all the different categories of tuition and students I can’t estimate how much tuition UW is collecting versus how much it keeps. Same for other revenues. I would hope that is the plan. Not sure where exactly they can save big money right now and I am counting on more revenue capture to do the job–not cutting jobs. Too many jobs are already gone from maintenance to departmental admin support. Advising is too small in some schools and the L&S placement office is just getting organized in a meaningful way. At least the other schools already have good placement and generaly good advising. Libraries cannot be cut any more.</p>