New USNWR rankings live now

I’m sure they can cope with this injustice.

2 Likes

It is interesting to see that some of the most “debated schools” are at the top of the lists…

The same accolades/attention given to some schools should be acknowledged as well as they continue to rank high year after year!

High Point University is always a favorite here!

No. 1 for Best Regional Colleges in the South

No. 1 for Most Innovative, Regional Colleges in the South

No. 1 for Best Undergraduate Teaching, Regional Colleges South

No. 19 for Best Value Schools, Regional Colleges South

No. 27 for Best First-Year Experiences in the Nation

3 Likes

So if we were to build a better mousetrap, what are the available data-based metrics that would consistently and fairly reveal that assessment on teaching quality?

2 Likes

Yeah, it was ranked 27 when my daughter chose it over Grinnell and Macalester back in 2020. Has it become so much “worse” in 3 years? Nope, we still love it. The senior thesis requirements are extremely rigorous, for example. I think the social mobility factor is hurting Kenyon because it attracts a lot of wealthy families + it tends to have lots of English/humanities/creative writing majors who don’t necessarily make a lot of money upon graduation (just my guesses).

11 Likes

Agree with your assessment, many entering students are surprised to find they need a bus at 7:30 to go through an unsavory section to get to the other part of campus which is in a different town, New Brunswick to Piscataway. Rutgers does have solid academics and often the landing place for those academically qualified for ivy’s but for financial and/or similar considerations stay put in Jersey.

3 Likes

That’s the hard part… identifying the variables and weighting them properly.

Errr… You stopped at 20… Michigan is at 21… Tell ND to move over…

Go Blue :blue_heart::joy:

2 Likes

So I think the lists are useful to help create a list of colleges and research them. When we did this year’s ago and know I mentioned it, I had our kids use them that way but I made them look at schools also outside the top 21(Go Blue)… Lol.

They had to tell me about colleges from 20-30, 31-40, 41-50 till 100. It was just an exercise so they could discover great colleges they would never look at.

But for majors like engineering these top lists might not mean much depending on their major.

So, use them as a guide and of course for bragging rights. Sometimes schools outside of the top 20 are fantastic, great schools… (looking at you Michigan.).

There no “proper” weighting, it all subjective.

I’d be curious of the rankings without the current changes

3 Likes

Just look at last year and that is probably what it would be (or close).

3 Likes

Sorry, this is a long thread so I might have missed it. In what way are schools being penalized for having wealthy / full pay students?

1 Like

Go Blue!

1 Like

I’m guessing they’d be similar to last year’s rankings

1 Like

And research, I suppose.

If an administrator at Podunk State U who fills out the peer assessment survey blatantly decides to rank itself number one in the country, and all other schools in the order of least likely to threaten its ranking to most likely (e.g., UCLA ranking itself number 1, Diploma Mill University number 2, and UC Berkeley number 439), who is there to flag or stop it?

Plus, everyone’s experience is different. Some are in Honors, some are in majors with few people and have smaller classes. Some are in Greek life. Some walk to class. Some take a bus to class.

Everything is different; everyone is different. Even on the same campus…

1 Like

Maybe they omit the lowest 5% of scores and the highest 5% on that survey… to take care of (some? most? all?) of the outlier votes.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Whitman for the West Coast LAC seekers

6 Likes

Happy for my alma mater, GaTech. They improved overall, and are now 10th best public, and 3rd in Engineering, but they are technically the first public in Engineering tired with Berkley. Top 5 in all major engineering fields that they provide (except #6 in Material). Believe it or not, they are #1 in Industrial Engineering for 29 years in a row. Now they are #1 in BME too. For the public with a majority in-state mandated by the law, this is unbelievable.

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s time now for somebody to give us an aggregate of all the different rankings so far.

2 Likes