New USNWR rankings live now

This communication resembles something from The Onion. What chancelor spends time disecting the US News Rankings and specifically names other instutions like Wake Forest, Tulane, and a host of others where they have little to no commonality other than they rose up or down.

4 Likes

So maybe Vanderbilt needs to get hard at work figuring out how to graduate their FGLI population into high-paying careers? Not sure what the solution is for them…

It’s very bizarre behavior—not very well thought out IMHO. Perhaps they should have consulted a crisis management expert. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

At this point, the only person who can help Vanderbilt is Deion Sanders because he can fix almost anything.

9 Likes

Vandy is bent out of shape that top public schools benefited from the changed methodology, yet the only two public schools to place rank higher than Vandy are UCLA and Berkeley. To my mind, it is far from obvious that Vandy is superior to either.

A boorish, snobby, and elitist display.

12 Likes

Most around the world have heard of Berkeley and UCLA—fewer know about Vanderbilt…

5 Likes

To my mind, I would find it even more questionable if not a single public university were able to crack the top 20.

6 Likes

Im guessing we wont see any “We’re #18 and proud of it” banners hung up when we visit Vanderbilt in a few weeks.

4 Likes

Of course, that would be a relative rarity or luxury, since small colleges cannot be attended by the vast majority of college students (because they would not be small if more students actually enrolled in them).

“We’re #1…among our students and alumni”

Can someone remind me what was Vanderbilt last year vs. this year?

“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded”

• Yogi Berra
1 Like

I know vanderbilt has some valid points regarding using federal aid data from college scorecard… But why not look at other students (princeton, other ivys) who got an A regardless of the grading system and learn?

2 Likes

Of course.

But that’s not what was being discussed.

1 Like

13 last year, 18 this year.

Tied for 13th.

Got it. They were 14th, then 13th and now 18th. What is big deal about it? If they will be 60th I would understand. Are they worried that students will stop to apply?

5 Likes

What Vanderbilt’s chancelor really wanted to say:

“…And now we’re ranked below Rice. Are we, or are we not, the Harvard of the South!!!”

4 Likes

Apparently they couldn’t stand that a couple of great public schools were ranked higher than Vandy. The letter specifically whines about UNC, Berkeley and UCLA.

6 Likes

It’s called overreacting.

I suspect their long-ago lost war to Duke in the all important battle for “Harvard of the south” bragging rights has led to a chronic state of anxiety for the Commodores.

5 Likes