New USNWR rankings live now

came in at #43

2 Likes

UC Merced is now #60 ahead of Riverside and Santa Cruz.

What’s crazy and maybe it’s because it’s a Sunday night but when the WSJ rankings came out, it was message after message of how bad it was, how off it was…but there were major changes in this one and we’re not seeing that yet - either in volume of messages or tone.

2 Likes

For the 25th straight year Rose-Hulman is number 1 for engineering (without doctorate). Rose was ranked top 20 overall on the WSJ list. A Midwest hidden gem!

8 Likes

Rose is a great school. Too bad its in the middle of nowhere.

2 Likes

It really is - and it’s very small. But obviously it punches way above it’s perceived weight.

and for those in high school, it’s Operation Catapult is very well thought of - a great way to get a sample.

3 Likes

Lol yes. And exactly why my S is coming back to CA after graduation!

1 Like

We’re all tied up yet again! :rofl:

Meh. I was surprised to see several schools D24 is applying to dropped 30 or 40 spots, but it doesn’t influence how I feel about the quality of education she would receive there. If anything maybe this will loosen up the merit purse strings.

11 Likes

Now that it’s #40, it’s going to get a lot of love :smile:

4 Likes

This is a strange combination of likely to be true, a welcome development, and likely to be true for all the wrong reasons, even though the actual reasons (based in the US News methodology change) are important.

4 Likes

I feel very bad for the universities that have prided themselves on high-quality teaching, with low class numbers. Clark University fell almost 50 places, and many people on this list have expressed feelings of respect for this school after visiting.

20 Likes

State schools went up after they eliminated class size and alumni donations as factors.

13 Likes

why is class size eliminated as a factor? seems somewhat important in terms of quality of education?

23 Likes

My spouse thinks it’s a conspiracy of college administrators. :smile:

1 Like

Speaking as a parent of 3 NJ students, 2 of which didn’t even apply and one of whom did so as a safety, there’s a bunch of reasons (noting these reasons mattered to my kids and their peers at a competitive NJ HS, but some wouldn’t to others):

1. Reputation as an overcrowded campus, large classes, difficulty getting classes, classes and finals at terrible hours.

2. Is any campus you need to schedule time to get across a highway by bus to and between classes really a “campus”? Even their campus tours are just driving around in a bus except to stop long enough to peek into a dorm room. My oldest two crossed it off their lists on that basis alone even before the rest.

3. Too obsessed, distracted by sports. Burning tons of money on unprofitable program. The tours put way too much emphasis on them.

4. Too easy to get into, which creates a perception of lack of rigor and reputation for competitive kids, particularly compared to other flagship states in CA, Michigan, VA, etc. Whether this should matter is beside the point – competitive students are attracted to schools that are hard to get into.

5. New Brunswick is not a great spot.

All that said, the kids seemed aware that the actual quality of academics was decent (at least engineering which is what most of their friends ended up in there).

10 Likes

Who took the biggest hit. Tulane?

1 Like

Because it’s in New Jersey. We are a proud yet oddly self loathing people😀

12 Likes

They should consider direct mail and spam emails as negative factors under “climate destroyers and cyber pollution”.

Univ Chicago would fall 10 spots.

20 Likes

Anyone has too much time on their hand to chart the 10 schools that fell the most? :grin:

1 Like