New Yorker Loving University of Alabama

<p>Sounds like a beautiful ride.</p>

<p>Montegut, I’m glad you really enjoy the train ride. I remember when you were flying MSY-BHM and driving down to Tuscaloosa. The train ride sounds very scenic and peaceful and doesn’t take much more time than flying or driving if the schedule works for ones trip.</p>

<p>Yes, the Crescent from NY to Tuscaloosa takes 24 hours, give or take 10 minutes, barring any delays. I have been there…done that.
It is relaxing as opposed to driving, somewhat scenic and fairly comfortable. The seats are better for shorter people since the foot rests are close to the seat and your legs will hang off if you are tall. The seat does not recline very far back, so you never really get horizontal for a good sleep position. It IS a long ride but if you are used to driving, it wont seem that much longer. The scenery is nice but you do spend time in a sort of ditch, where the train is lower than the ground, and all you see are the roots of trees and red packed earth. Delays happen since the Crescent has to give leeway to freight trains on the portions of the line where they do not own the track. You are not relegated to your seat, you can walk around and there is an observation car. It is not a fancy train by any means but it is quite adequate. It is however a great way to meet folks. The Food is expensive and the dining car reservation slots do go to first class passengers (those in rooms) before the other passengers. If you do travel by train, bring plenty of water, they sometimes run out of water (and food) along the way.
I have done this ride and would do it again, but personally, I prefer the drive. I like to control my travel itinerary and stop whenever I want to. Often the price of train travel is comparable to a plane ticket, but you can bring much more luggage on board and students can get a discount.</p>

<p>FORIOBOUND, regarding your daughter’s question about not going greek and finding social opportunities on campus, I would suggest Camp 1831 and/or The Honors program’s Alabama Action and Outdoor Action. Both are ways to make early connections on campus before classes begin and both are held during the time of rush activities, so a majority of students are others who have decided against rushing. Our son enjoyed both activities. If you visit the University of Alabama Honors College facebook page, you can view video and photos of the activities.</p>

<p>Spent yesterday with TerryTw of this forum, and the pride of Long Island. Our boys are rooming together for the second year in a row. Drank beer on the strip (on the sidewalk – nice weather) for about 3 hours. Good times.</p>

<p>The south welcomes all.</p>

<p>Seatide. Unfortunately southwest no l</p>

<p>SpaceCoastMom - Thanks so much for the info. I will have my daughter check out the photos. That sounds like a great way to meet people and get involved.</p>

<p>Montegut and slippy, H and I are currently enjoying your fine city as we made a detour here on our way back to Dallas from T-Town. Had a wonderful dinner tonight!</p>

<p>Regarding Jewish students, we were helped by a nice young man with a crimson yarmulke emblazoned with our favorite A during move in at RCW. He wore it both Fri and Sat. I wanted to send C2012M by to see if he wanted it bedazzled, but it was already striking just as it was. </p>

<p>Foriobound, while we are not from the north, I can tell you that my D did not go Greek and has no regrets. (I still miss it a bit on her behalf but it didn’t interest her). She is very busy and happy and doesn’t feel that she is missing out on anything.</p>

<p>lattelady, that kid with the yarmulke is my son’s RA in RCE. They say he is a really cool dude.</p>

<p>Latte lady - thank you for your reassurances. My daughter has been encouraged by all the positive feedback.</p>

<p>I have to say, my born and bred New York son is absolutely loving everything about UA and Alabama. He says everyone is very friendly and the school is amazing.</p>

<p>bump…for midwestblues :)</p>