NHRP 2019 College Scholarship List

University of Alabama-Huntsville

Platinum Award of Academic Distinction

Students who are selected as National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists, or National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars qualify for the Platinum Award of Academic Distinction. This 4-year award is valued at full tuition (up to 18 credit hours per semester), and also includes a course fee stipend (up to $1000), an on-campus housing allowance, and a meal plan allowance. Renewal is based on satisfactory academic progress and full-time student status.

For students in Fl, if you are a National Hispanic Scholar you automatically qualify to receive the Bright Futures scholarship it covers 100% of tuition, board and expenses at any school in Florida. Itā€™s renewable each year if your GPA stays above 3.0

My daughter received acceptance letter from Univ. of Arizona and was offered the Arizona Distinction award, 25K per year for out of state. I called to see what the process was for obtaining the UA National Scholars Award and I was informed that she had to select U of A as her top choice on the national merit page. I clarified she received the National Hispanic Recognition Award and not the National Merit and was told it was the same process for both. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

1 Like

The process is not the same for NM vs NHRP. There is no ā€œfirst choiceā€ for NHRP. In fact, there are no choices at all. Note that NM is handled by NMSC, while NHRP is handled by the College Board. You need to call back to the UA office and speak to someone who is more knowledgeable than the contact you first talked to.

@hotmeximama

My daughter received an admission letter from U of Arizona with a lower scholarship as well. I e-mailed them a copy of her NHRP certificate and asked how she proceeds with the National Scholars Award. I received the following e-mail response from them a couple days ago:

ā€œThank you for contacting the University of Arizona and letting us know! We have received an official list from the National Merit Organization and will confirm your status as a scholar within the next 3-4 weeks.ā€

When she received her letter from NAU it was the same ā€“ a lower scholarship. When I e-mailed them a copy of her certificate they told me that they havenā€™t even begun to process the National Hispanic Scholars but will let me know when they do. So based on these two responses, Iā€™m thinking we need to be patientā€¦

Received a letter from University of Iowa yesterday congratulating my daughter on being a ā€œfinalistā€ in the NHRP. They offered the Provost Scholarship worth $3,000/year for 4 years. Plus automatic consideration for other scholarships worth 2k-8K per year.

1 Like

I contacted the University of Kentucky to see how they want to get the information about my son being a National Hispanic Scholar. They emailed me back and requested a copy of his letter and certificate to be sent to their office of academic scholarships and they will then put it with his application. They also stated they will begin sending out scholarship offers in early November.

D got a letter from Texas A & M congratulating her on NHRP, and offering her a minimum of $3,500 a year for up to 4 years.

Just found thisā€¦
University of Chicago
no application necessary
NHRP qualifies student for scholarships up to 10k
https://collegeadmissions.uchicago.edu/cost-aid/scholarships/merit-scholarships

Where did you see that info? I have looked on the Florida Scholarship website and Bright Futures and did not see that information. Thanks.

Florida Gulf Coast University offered my daughter a full ride! Blue and Green scholarship for 15k plus NHRP gave her full tuition plus room, board, and books

Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve read this (FL bright futures automatically for NHRP)! Good to know. Luckily my son already qualifies for Bright Futures the traditional way.

Boston University- $20,000
http://www.bu.edu/admissions/tuition-aid/scholarships-financial-aid/first-year-merit/

Northeastern University, Boston MA - did not list amount
http://catalog.northeastern.edu/undergraduate/admission/merit-scholarships/

Northeasternā€™s award is up to $30K a year for NHRP. Must submit documentation by deadline (think April)

So so so hard to get in thoughā€¦,

So so hard to get in though ?

Congratulations Oreomollykona. That is a wonderful gift. Later if she can, you can use any funds you saved for her to help her get a Masters or even a Phd. If not it can go towards her siblings own education and finally if still unused towards your own retirement. Thatā€™s is amazing news. Thanks for sharing. I encourage everyone who has children to give them the best education possible. You clearly have fostered that at your family. MUCHOS EXCITOS para tu hija en FGCU!

Big scholarship from Miami U in Oxford Ohio (full tuition) and Ohio State Morrill Scholarship (full tuition)

@ArizonaParent @bandmom98 @twicemama @oreomollykona Hi - just getting back to a few of you as most decisions are in and this is a bit quiet, but some other info I have received just recently and over last couple of months. BU and Northeastern a bit disappointing in NHRP. I am beginning to think that this is a little bit of bait and switch or at a minimum just slick marketing/near-false advertising. I will say that increased enrollment/competition is definitely playing a role, but either be a little more transparent on your advertising or pony up more $$! Here is what I have:

BU - my daughter got into the business school, but got $0 from NHRP (despite their up to $20,000 advertisement). I spoke with admissions person. This year they received over 62,000 applicants, making it an 18% acceptance rate, which is insane. Having said that, this is fewer applications than 2018 which was 64,470. In 2017 it was 60,701. What is odd is that average SAT last year was only 1350 for such a high acceptance rate. Last year almost 21% were international. In 2019, their ED applications increased by 11% to 2,300 applicants. I think they love the international students and ED as it is pretty much a non-discounted tuition. Getting back to NHRP, I was told for 2019 only 3% of the class were given NHRP, National Merit and Presidentā€™s Scholarships. For a $2.2B endowment this seems low. I know a lot of that goes to financial aid awards, but it almost triples Northeasternā€™s endowment at $795m (2017) and they were more generous. At $72,052 for room and board in 2019 with nothing but a crappy $5,500 unsub loan, my daughter is definitely not going to BU.

Northeastern - my daughter got into their business school and got $15,000/year from NHRP. Certainly much better than BU but a bit disappointing considering about 10 different admissions people that spoke to me and my daughter told me $30k was a lock. Not to mention everyone on CC saying the same. I didnā€™t at any point ever hear any other number than $30k. I was able to appeal the decision as I even documented and named names of admissions people and their promises. But I have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting an award from the appeal. And even if an a positive appeal is granted it may only be a small bump for just the first year. Also decision comes after May 1, nice! I was told that Honors students received NHRP awards closer to $30k. Not sure if that is new but I guess with expenses going up and applicants increasing this just gets tighter each year. I recommended better training for the admissions people and perhaps something like $15-$30k as potential awards listed for NHRP. My daughter will confirm her attendance there after we get the Ivy rejections this week ;-). But this will be more challenging for her as we had earmarked $40k for 3 years and then her covering year 4. Luckily she can make up some of this windfall via high school money saved through work and potentially co-op and working at school.

Good luck to all and would like to hear from all of you as to what you saw related to NHRP and in general. I have added this to Northeastern thread as well.