**2017 NHRP Scholars** — Scholarships

Hey guys, so I have been contacted about the NHRP and qualify. I have submitted all the necessary paperwork. To make it short, this will be a thread for 2017 NHRP scholars and the scholarship opportunities available to us. I’ve already spent a good two weeks researching deep and found scholarships to be hidden. The other threads detailing NHRP scholarships are also from 2009 and are not up to date. I’m going to post one original thread and edit it from time to time. If anyone else finds other updated scholarships for NHRP scholars, please add them below. Good luck searching!
Please contact me if you want to keep up to date together (we might end up heading to the same colleges).

—University of Arizona
Full tuition via “New American University Scholar – National Scholar award”
Auto admit to Barrett Honors College
Expedited review of app. Decision 2-3 weeks after submitting.

—Northeastern University
Up to $30k in merit-based aid

The list in this thread is pretty up to date:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1805958-need-recent-info-for-national-hispanic-scholars-2016-graduates.html#latest

It will provide a good starting point for this year’s list.

—Wesleyan College (Single-sex, women)
Full tuition

—Rochester Institute of Technology
$18k+

—Fordham University
Full tuition; have to be in top 2-3% of admitted

—CSU Long beach
Full tuition
Academic Advising
Auto-admit to Honors College
Book Allowance
Campus parking privileges

—Arizona State University
Full tuition via “New American University Scholar – National Scholar award”
Auto admit to Barrett Honors College
Expedited review of app. Decision 2-3 weeks after submitting.

— University of Arizona
Arizona National Scholars: $18,000 per academic year + one-time $1,500 Study Abroad Award for UA Study Abroad program.

Non-Arizona National Scholars:  the value of the original Arizona Excellence Tuition Award + $5,000 National Scholar Award +one-time $1,500 Study Abroad Award for UA Study Abroad program. See “Arizona Excellence Tuition Award” for UA merit review and offer details.
Arizona Excellence Tuition Award = $5,000 to $17,500 per academic year

—Northeastern University
Up to $30k in merit-based aid

—University of Tulsa
Full tuition, room and board; rank in the top 10% of their graduating class

—Purdue University
$1k per year

—University of Texas A&M
$14k over 4 years

—Boston University
Four-year $20,000 tuition Boston University Presidential Scholarship

—University of Central Florida
Students designated as a National Merit Scholar or National Hispanic Scholar should contact the staff of The Scholars Program via e-mail at Luke.vanBlaricom@ucf.edu or call (407) 823-6179. *Will call at later time

—University of Nebraska - Lincoln
full tuition coverage plus a $2,000 stipend annually

—Florida International University
Full tuition, fees, room and board, up to the cost of attendance

—Pacific Union College
Full tuition for NHRP Finalists, 33.3% for NHRP honorable recognition

—University of Alabama - Huntsville
Full tuition (up to 18 credit hours per semester), $500 course fee stipend, $500 book stipend, an on-campus housing allowance, and a meal plan allowance.

—University of Alabama - Birmingham
Full tuition and required fees (up to 15 credit hours per semester) for 4 years, one-year on-campus housing award at the freshman rate for your first year, one-time $1,000 technology scholarship, one-time $2,500 stipend to be used for experiential learning (education abroad, internships, co-ops, etc.)

—University of South Florida
$20,000 ($5,000 per year) and a study abroad scholarship

—Wichita State University
Tuition, Student Fee, and Campus Infrastructure & Support Fee (up to 15 credit hours per term)
On-Campus Room and Board (any choice except private room)
$1,000 stipend for books at $500 per semester

—University of Kentucky
Cost of tuition and an allowance for room and board

—University of Vermont
In-state residents who declare UVM as first-choice and are finalists will receive $56k

—North Carolina Central University
In-state tuition and fees, room, board, books, $500/semester stipend, internships, and a laptop

—New College of Florida
$70k over 4 years

—University of Kansas
$43,852 over 4 years

—University of South Carolina
SC Resident*: Annual value: Up to $10,000; Four-year value: $40,000
Non-SC Resident: Annual value: Up to $6,000 + tuition reduction; Four-year value with tuition reduction: Up to $99,000
*lower due to in-state tuition

—University of Cincinnati
In-state tuition and on-campus room funding, $1,500 for computer purchase, study abroad experience, or undergrad research.
Automatic invitation to the University Honors Program

—Western New Mexico University
Covers housing, books, tuition and fees for 8 semesters

—Colorado State University
Automatically receive Presidential Scholarship worth $10k

University of Chicago now says $4K to $30K for NHRP.

U Oklahoma - To confirm for 2018 contact the Associate Director of Diversity Recruitment Programs

Does anyone know where to find the cut-off scores to qualify for NHRP?

Top 2.5% of all hispanic test takers in your state.
Varies by state.

I believe that 2-2.5% AimingTop50 mentions is right on as College Board’s site says, “Every year, the NHRP recognizes about 5,000 of the 250,000 Hispanic/Latino juniors who take the [PSAT].”

There’s a fairly recent post on another thread which suggests NHRP might be more of a regionally determined thing than a state-by-state thing, but I don’t myself know for sure. Southern5062 noted there, “…for the first time, they [College Board, whom she actually telephoned] are using the actual four-digit score, not the one in the 100’s-200’s as they did in the past. So Virginia had a cutoff of 1360 and my son had a 1410. The cutoffs are REGIONAL, not by state. I think Virginia is Mid-Atlantic or Northeast and their score is always one of the highest cutoffs…”

Yep they emailed me that I was in the top 2.5% of all hispanic test takers of the PSAT in my REGION

Wow 5000 NHRP vs 16000 NMSF.
More prestigious than I thought.

I’m currently done with my 1st 2 years of University and came here to vent. I was notified by the NHRP for my 207 in High School but come September I was only given an Honorable Mention for my GPA. I had a 4.46 Weighted and a 3.38 unweighted (IB Student). I assumed at the time, as a naive and not responsible 18 year old, that they must only look at unweighted GPA’s for the 3.5 minimum, but now that I’m struggling to make ends meet going into my 3rd year I did some research and found out I should have gotten the award!

My University, UCF in Orlando, gives a $48,000 scholarship ($6k a semester) for national Hispanic scholars. Luckily my ACT was a 33 and solid grades and essays got me the Pegasus Gold Scholarship and Bright Futures, which covered tuition (about $3500 for 12 credit hours). But this would’ve been more than even what my loans could give me!

I’m currently working on speaking with the NHRP, my old guidance counselor and my school to see if I can get this scholarship, which I believe I deserve based on my performance in the past.

I haven’t had much luck yet but I’m just getting started in this process and I guess I’m just emailing to warn those taking lots of advanced classes with high weighted GPA’s but unweighted GPA’s below 3.5 to speak with your guidance counselor and make sure they send your weighted one. It could award you a lot of money in the near future or at least save you a lot of time trying to get that fixed.

Thank you so much I was worrying so much because I have an unweighted gpa of 3.46 but my weighted is more than 4.

Does on campus housing allowance mean that it is free?

From UCF:

Students qualifying as Scholars in the NHRP program that apply and are admitted to UCF will be eligible for a $100,000 merit scholarship divided equally over eight semesters. To receive this award they must be classified as a non-Florida resident for tuition purposes.

Great info @AnotherNHRPMom! Have you looked at any other schools offering NHRP’s big $? This week we have checked out two -ASU & UNM.

@Meddy How was ASU? Did you learn anything interesting about the Honors College?

@Meddy, we are going to UAH, UAB, UCF, and MissState later this week. Did ASU tell you anything interesting? When I called them, they told me the scholarship varied and was competitive.

Here are a few others I have found in addition to the list above:

Uni of New Mexico - ~$18k National Scholars + $15k Amigo Scholarship + $100/semester stipend
New Mexico State Uni - Conroy Achievement Scholarship - tuition & fees, $1250 stipend/semester, one year housing (http://fa.nmsu.edu/scholarships/)
Mississippi State Uni - full in-state tuition (may include OOS waiver) + fees (http://www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshmen/money-matters/scholarships/academic-scholarships/)

Andrews University (in Michigan) - full tuition (http://www.andrews.edu/future/financing/scholarships/index.html)
Uni of Evansville (in Indiana) - full tuition

@AnotherNHRPMom @dietcig Went on the tours - regular and Barrett Honors College tour. My D could see going to school there - ASU right in the middle of nice, hip, surrounding restaurants and shops. The light rail is on campus and can take them to the other campuses as well as the airport. Important for OOS students without a car. BH dorms were a dream. We mentioned NHRP and the admissions officer said we must contact another person and came right back with her card and I plan on calling this week. I saw that a local kid just had a send off party hosted by the ASU alums. Lots of school spirit evident.