NMF Scholarships: An Updated Compilation

<p>What are the SMALLEST schools with ABET accredited engineering programs offering big merit $$$ to NMFs? Bonus points for a non-urban school or at least a school with a “real campus”. (Yes, I could look up every school on the list, but hopefully someone knows which (if any) of these are smaller engineering schools.) I have a likely semifinalist who really prefers smaller schools. There are a few of the larger schools that he likes well enough to consider applying as well. But would love to find any schools that might be a better fit. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>I would say U. Tulsa is one of the smallest schools well-known for engineering, that gives big merit aid to NMFs. Tulsa is ABET accredited in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical, and Petroleum Engineering, as well as Computer Science and Engineering Physics. They have about 3000 undergrads, a nice “real” campus.<br>
As noted above, and on other threads, NMFs need to apply for U. Tulsa’s Presidential Scholarship.
This is a separate application. Those selected as Presidential scholars (about 1/3 of applicants) will get a full-ride (tuition, room, board). Those who apply but aren’t selected for the Presidential scholarship will ( based on my son’s experience last year) likely be offered full tuition.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>WPI comes to mind.</p>

<p>Thanks atomom. When does Tulsa let students know whether they’ve been selected as Presidential scholars or not? </p>

<p>They have one of the awkward early notification deadlines:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>but if a student doesn’t receive their Presidential scholarship, do they have time to change their first choice to another school that uses the April 30th deadline?</p>

<p>With my older son, all of the schools he was considering that gave aid to NMFs had guaranteed aid for any NMF who named them by the final deadline. They were all willing to state in writing what the package would be if they were named, so that my S could wait until he’d made a final decision as to where he was going to do the naming. So the logistics of a competitive scholarship with an earlier deadline seem tricky to us when there are other NMF-award schools in the running.</p>

<p>Thanks BobWallace. We love WPI and they are on our radar, but their guaranteed $20K NMF scholarship (or even their maximum possible competitive $25K) against a total COA over $58K still leaves a considerable gap! With tuition at 42K and a very high room & board average of 13K, WPI is VERY expensive!</p>

<p>The Presidential Scholarship application deadline is Feb. 15. (Students must be accepted by U. Tulsa by Feb. 1). If I remember correctly, the notification is shortly after Mar. 1–by mid-March?-- so your student has time to change 1st choice to another school if he doesn’t win the Presidential scholarship and chooses another school. (My S ended up taking the near-full-ride at UTD, though he was offered full tuition at U. Tulsa. BTW, UTD is a fairly large school in population, but with a compact campus and with fewer students living on campus, it doesn’t really feel that big. So you might want to have a look there, too.)</p>

<p>Thanks atomom – so did your S change his first choice pick to UTD after hearing from Tulsa that he didn’t get the full ride? Is UTD University of Texas Dallas? So many abbreviations! :)</p>

<p>Yes, that’s right. (He was going to go to Tulsa IF he got the Presidential Scholarship.)</p>

<p>Thanks again – great to have confirmation that it’s possible to try for an early-deadline competitive scholarship without losing out on other sure things waiting in the wings.</p>

<p>mathmomvt, a small school with ABET accreditation is University of Evansville. All accepted National Merit Finalists receive full tuition scholarships. They have programs in mechanical, electrical, civil, and computer engineering.</p>

<p>thanks hoosiermom</p>

<p>MathMomVT - Look at Louisiana Tech in Ruston LA.</p>

<p>Hi. My second son is likely NMS scoring 34 ACT during Sophomore year of high school. I want him to start thinking about PSAT and NMS.</p>

<p>To motivate, i would like to point out some schools with good NMS awards on the east coast (as that is where he wants to attend). Does not need to be “full ride”, but close would be good. </p>

<p>We are from Oklahoma, and OU is one place he will apply.</p>

<p>The NE doesn’t have near-full-ride NMF scholarships…the NE is actually a poor source for big awards period. </p>

<p>Off-hand I can only think of Fordham and NEU who give full tuition NMF awards (still need to budget about $17k per year for room, board, books, fees, travel, misc). Fordham only has a 3/2 engineering, which means that the last 2 years are elsewhere w/o scholarship money… </p>

<p>If your son is wanting the NE because of the belief that the best schools are there, he’s going to find that those “best schools” don’t give ANY merit at all.</p>

<p>For Northeast-ish schools that offer good awards for NMS:</p>

<p>Northeastern (Boston, full tuition)
Drexel (Philly, full tuition)
RIT (Rochester, 17K+)
U of Rochester (Rochester, 17K+)
WPI (Worcester, MA; 20K+)
U of Vermont (Burlington, 10K oos, full tuition instate)
U of Maine (Orono, 15K based on SAT, ACT or NMSF status for EA applicants)</p>

<p>also RPI (Troy, NY offers decent merit but not guaranteed based on NMF or test scores)</p>

<p>Can anyone report on experiences with Oklahoma State U. (not OU) and U. Kentucky? They have some of the most generous NM packages out there, yet we don’t hear much about them.</p>

<p>Hi mom2collegekids. No. I asked him where he would want to live. He said east coast. He is a very bright kid and we do have some money set aside but not enough to just pay out of pocket for out-of-state. He understands that, and sees that his brother has a accepted a full academic scholarship in order to use our help for graduate school.</p>

<p>mathmomvt - Thanks. I will look into those.</p>

<p>^atamom – the Kentucky scholarship is new – I believe those entering this fall (2013) are the first group under the scholarship. This is why you cannot find much info.</p>

<p>^hl0800 – Drexel has some great programs. It is easy to get to Center City. It does not have any green campus space. My son dismissed it (too close and too urban), but he has friends who love it. It is respected in our area. Philly is a great city, but I am biased :)</p>

<p>Other schools in the area would give merit for the ACT score, but it is not automatic.</p>

<p>hl0800 - Temple U doesn’t seem to advertise it too much but they have offered good (full tuition) scholarship for NM Finalists, not sure that it’s automatic. If an urban campus is attractive, you might want to give it a try.</p>

<p>as far as I know, Temple does not offer NM awards per se but they have very generous scholarships based on combined GPA and test scores. I think a 1400 SAT (old scale) and at least a 3.75 GPA would be on track for their full tuition scholarships, which also includes 3 $4000 stipends with some rules attached. and yes, i believe they are automatic. they expanded their scholarship options beginning with the class of 2013. They also have a range of other merit scholarships with good but not as good as the above stats</p>