NMF Technology Scholarship: iPad, MacBook, or Dell Tablet

FYI, there is a very nice update to the NMF technology scholarship! Instead of “just” having the iPad award, students get to choose from three options. Here is the text of the letter my daughter received today (via email).

What a nice upgrade to the NMF package!

+++

Dear Student:

Here it is! The letter that you have been waiting for - information on your technology enrichment portion of your scholarship package. This is an exciting new change!

You will be provided with three choices that include either a Dell Venue Tablet, MacBook Air, or iPad Air 2. Please see below for the standard features and capabilities of each option:

Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet
10.8” IPS Display (Full HD)
1.2GHz (up to 2.9GHz) Intel M-Fy71 Processor
4GB RAM
128GB SSD (Storage)
802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0
2MP WebCam / 8MP Back Camera
Intel HD Graphics 5300
Windows 8.1
Safeware Protection Plan (for 2 years)

11” MacBook Air
11.6” LED Display
1.6GHz (up to 2.7GHz) Intel Core i5 Processor
4GB RAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0
720p HD Camera
Intel HD Graphics 6000
Mac OS X Yosemite
AppleCare Protection Plan (for 2 years)

iPad Air 2
9.7” Retina Display
A8X Chip and M8 motion coprocessor
Wi-Fi + Cellular Capable*
Bluetooth 4.0
128GB Capacity
1.2MP FaceTime / 8MP iSight Cameras
iOS8
AppleCare+ Protection Plan**

Wi-Fi service comes standard with each iPad; however, if you wish to utilize the 4G cellular capability of your iPad, you will need to purchase an iPad data plan from your carrier (Ex. Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint). Rates may be obtained from service providers in your area and The University of Alabama will not be responsible for cost associated with service plans.
AppleCare+ Protection Plan for iPad extends the factory warranty and technical support from Apple to a total of three years from the original purchase date.

In order to choose your technology device please visit www.myBama.ua.edu – Academics Tab – Scholarship Pane – Technology Enrichment Form. If you have questions about this process please contact Jennifer Hinton at jenniferh.bama@ua.edu.

The deadline to choose your device is June 30th, 2015. If you do not make a choice you will receive a Dell Venue Tablet.

We are delighted to have this opportunity to invest in your success at The University of Alabama. You will receive further instructions in July regarding next steps such as the receipt of your device. Enjoy the remainder of your summer, and I look forward to seeing you on campus very soon.

Went with the iPad 2 Air pimped out.

Thought about the 11" MacBook Air, but ended up buying a 13" MacBook Air at the Apple Store.

The 11" MacBook offer is certainly generous though!

Roll tide!

Wow, that is so nice that they have a choice, especially as many students might have an ipad already. My son is entering his 4th year and I THINK his NMF class was the first one who was offered an IPad. I remember him being very excited. The best part of it was the warranty. He dropped the IPad at home the summer between his freshman year/sophomore year and damaged the side with the volume. He brought it back to the Apple store and ended up getting a BRAND NEW Ipad at no cost. I think its wonderful that UA adds this generous extra to the package.

Ours also chose the IPad 2. Looks like I’ll get her hand-me-down.:slight_smile:

This is such an awesome surprise upgrade to an already generous scholarship! We just bought our student a MacBook Air in the spring because she needed it for high school…she has an older but perfectly fine ipad, so she is getting the MacBook Air and letting her little sister have it!