no more national achievement scholarships? so black or hispanic for psat nmsqt ?

I saw on some other thread that the national achievement scholarship program is ending this year. Is this true?

This is important because D is black Hispanic (Cuban) on one side and black American on the other so she could qualify for National Achievement Scholar or National Hispanic Scholar. The college board forces you to pick one or the other. We were going to go with Black but if there are no more scholarships we will pick Hispanic assuming he Hispanic scholarships are sticking around.

Can someone confirm what is going on with the national achievement scholarships? Thanks.

Yes, the National Achievement Program is being changed - it’s now to give scholarships to African American students already enrolled in college. Better go with the Hispanic to have a shot at anything (I haven’t heard that those are going away.) There’s also the National Merit Scholarship Corporation rrogram, which is open to anybody regardless of race, though the qualifying scores are generally higher.

Definitely hoping for NMF! Does Hispanic Scholars generally have a higher or a lower score requirement than Achievement Scholars?

It kind of messes us up for being recruited by colleges that want to attract AA students.

@nw2this My S was NA, but I don’t really recall any recruiting that came along with that designation. .

I was thinking of the mailers that you get based on the information that you put on your PSAT registration.

If that means that these scholarships are now for people who need fin aid and are interested in HBCUs, that is a terrible turn of events.

National Hispanic is run through College Board and depending on which region you live in, the qualifications could be lower than NA