No Textbooks Listed Yet?

<p>Good Morning,</p>

<p>My D has been wanting to purchase her textbooks. She’ll be arriving early on campus for Alabama Action.</p>

<p>The issue is that of the 6 classes that she’s registered for, only 1 is showing a textbook assigned currently … and of those 6 only 1 of those classes is still “TBA” for the instructor.</p>

<p>We are wondering if it is typical for texts to be undecided at this time and when we should consider the appropriate time to order textbooks, or to begin to be worried that her textbooks are not yet assigned.</p>

<p>Since she leaves for school in 3.5 weeks, it’s one of her to do items.</p>

<p>Should she e-mail the profs for the 5 classes that are showing instructors assigned?</p>

<p>Thanks and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^My son is in a similar boat. Text books only assigned for one of his classes so far.</p>

<p>Same here. Except none of D’s classes have a text listed!</p>

<p>I think the professors will be announced next week. So, probably we should know which books to buy at that time. We are in the same boat too.</p>

<p>Gosh, we were able to find all of S’s textbooks. I’m sorry y’all are having problems! What are y’all’s children’s majors?</p>

<p>^^^ My D’s major is currently MIS, but that’s really not the issue in this case. It’s her particular “sections” of the courses she’s in. Even though 5 of 6 instructors ARE assigned to her courses, 4 of those 5 do not show textbooks. Obviously, the class 1 that is still TBA would not have a textbook. For example, Darren Evans-Young is teaching D’s CBH course (CBH-101-001) and he’s taught that class for years, so the fact that it does not have a text seems odd. I’m thinking that the profs must have some deadline that they have to meet to let the bookstore know what texts they’ll be using, so that plans can be made for inventories, etc. … simple logistics, right? Anyway, it’s just one thing that we’d like to knock off the list, but it’s hanging out there as a to-do.</p>

<p>My D is an Art major with CS minor. We are a combo of TBA professors (Art History and CS 160) and no text listed or required (CS 121 & 150 and ART classes). Her Studio classes will have supply kits, but we are still waiting for those to be listed to see what we need to buy to add to her existing supplies. But so far it looks like the only real “book” she will buy this semester will be for Art History.</p>

<p>It’s not uncommon for a class still not to have a textbook at this point. Last year, my son had a professor who did not post the book until two days before classes started.</p>

<p>Sometimes, a professor will order a new edition, only to learn that its publishing will be delayed. (As a librarian, I have had plenty of back orders over the years) He or she would hate to put the required text online and frustrate his/her students who cannot get the book, either, but not know why. As for CBH, Darren may elect not to use one or require something later. The upper level CBH classes have no books.</p>

<p>@Dad2ILD Darren’s textbook isn’t listed, but I know we’re starting in Fortran. So I looked back in the catalog, and he’s used the same intro book for every year as far as I can see. So I went out on a limb and bought it when I ordered my other textbooks. It’s Nyhoff’s Intro to Fortran 90, ISBN 0-13-013146-6… and it costs $10 max used, so compulsive me felt it was worth the risk. :P</p>

<p>^^^ alto’s playing with fire! ;-)</p>

<p>I have tried to find my textbooks for BSC 114 somewhere online like amazon, but cannot find them. I will probably end up buying them from the SUPe store and there are really expensive. Also, my math professor isn’t listed, but it does have the book listed online. I’m hoping I can find BSC 114 and math textbooks cheap online since those are the most expensive books to buy from the SUPe store.</p>

<p>CBH
we asked which language they would start with, and they said they had started with Fortran in the past, but were considering changing this year, so you might want to wait on that one too.</p>

<p>My son ordered what books he could from the Supe Store. He did not check the box for used only. Do they often sub new for used and up the price? Just want to know what to expect. He is going to pick them up when he moves in next month.</p>

<p>My senior at UA strongly suggested I wait to buy books for my incoming Freshman. He said that some instructors don’t even use the book that the Dept. has selected.<br>
Also notices that some of the books we need are the newest addition. Just as momreads pointed out, the books are on backorder. Some instructors may not confirm the text for a few weeks after classes start</p>

<p>D will not be attending/registering until Aug 18 BB, so I was a little concerned about text book purchase, do I understand the old pros to be saying the books may not even be necessary until a couple of weeks in?</p>

<p>That is what my son has experienced. He is starting his fourth year at UA.</p>