NON-mormon/LDS student @ Univ of Utah

I am not mormon (grew up in a Christian family) but am considering Univ of Utah for their stellar outdoor opportunities and beautiful part of the country. Is the majority of the student population at U of U mormon/LDS? are there people that come from other religious or atheist backgrounds? Is Salt Lake City predominately LDS?

Salt Lake City is only ~50% LDS and I believe the U is less than that. They are also making efforts to increase the number of OOS students, which is likely to further reduce the percentage of LDS students. Very religious LDS students typically go to BYU instead.

My atheist D hasn’t had any concerns whatsoever, though you do have experiences that would be unusual at most other colleges, like undergrad students being (or getting) married, or taking a break from college to go off on their mission. Other than that the most noticeable effect is that the ski slopes are really quiet on Sunday mornings while a lot of people are at temple.

Here is the most recent data that I know of wrt religion at U Utah. Over half of the students said their childhood faith was church of LDS, while about 36% said that is their current faith…certainly typical in college to question/change one’s faith.

https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2019/05/10/religion-on-campus-more-diverse-than-rest-of-state-with-proportion-of-latter-day-saints-over-15-lower/

My D’s catholic friend is in her second year there and loves it. No issues not being Mormon.

My D is not Mormon (or Christian) and it hasn’t been an issue at all for her. But yes, as Twoin18 mentioned, it is a little shocking to see undergrads - and not just seniors! - getting married.

I didn’t go to U of Utah but lived in SLC for a year when I was younger. I found many fellow outdoors people to spend time with and was not negatively impacted by the LDS community. SLC drivers are very pedestrian and bicycle friendly. All in all, I found the LDS community to be very friendly and polite.

Salt Lake City and the U of Utah are both now over 50% non-Mormon (but I think that doesn’t take into account that some of the non-Mormons are inactive from Mormon background). You couldn’t choose a city with better proximity to hiking and skiing. The winter smog inversions are unpleasant and unhealthy. Overall, I think that SLC and the U of Utah are a fantastic place for young people who love the outdoors. You will have no trouble finding plenty of social life not centered around the Mormon Church. I’d say go for it!