Northeastern Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

@twicemama didn’t know about this, thank you!

1 Like

While it may be disappointing when a school does not admit your offspring there is really no cause to accuse a college of being underhanded or playing games. NU has been clear that it would admit fewer students this year because too many students accepted their offer of admission last year. That, and an increase in applications for various reasons, made it a particularly hard year for admissions. There were too many applicants for too few spots. I am sure these applicants have many good options from other schools, so it’s maybe time to move on and focus on those colleges.

8 Likes

Speaking for myself only, I think the “game” in question is the data-driven marketing approach meant to push the number of applicants ever higher. This may be very beneficial for the schools, but it makes the process incredibly arbitrary for qualified applicants. This isn’t 'sour grapes,’ it’s reality. And, IMO, it is important for future applicants (and those still waiting this year) to understand this, so they can better manage their expectations.

It also might be easier for accepted families to be empathetic if they realized that they could just as easily have been on the outside looking in. But-for-the-grace-of-AO-go I.

8 Likes

Northeastern was not my child’s first choice, but they have thrived there. I don’t blame any school for their rejections. They had low acceptance rates and I don’t believe there was any sinister plot. The kid knew enough to ignore letters sent by Harvard and Princeton encouraging them to apply.

4 Likes

I had trouble figuring out the scattergram. It says not enough information

Maybe not enough students from your school either applied or reported their results.

Doubt they did not apply as we have the admissions from the school profile
Many enrolled previously
Not sure if they reported enrollment on scoir
Applications reporting in scoir are required by the school to send materials to the schools

Maybe your guidance counselor has an answer. College admission selectivity can be found on websites such as Niche. I believe NU’s selectivity rating is “exceptional.”

1 Like

Does anyone know how many people northeastern waitlisted?

2 Likes

My son had the highest SAT score on our scattergram and was well within green range and was waitlisted. The scattergram is not relevant for this year.

4 Likes

Deleted

We are experiencing this, too … this year is proving to be an outlier for all the kids at my kid’s high performing private HS. It’s all topsy turvy right now. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If Scoir is anything like Naviance used in our district (Boulder, CO), outcomes are self-reported by students so the data is poor quality. Thus acceptance rates are erroneous and Scattergrams have very weak predictive value. Counselors in our district know this.

3 Likes

I will delete my comment as I already said it was inaccurate twice.

Don’t place NEU in the same level as Harvard or Princeton. NEU is not an IVY league school.

1 Like

Same at my daughter private high school
Many high performing kids waitlisted or rejected from competitive schools.

That’s not what she meant at all.

Her student knew how incredibly difficult it is get into Ivys and did not apply.

3 Likes

Yes, thank you @midwestmum for reading it right. @norik95 I never did say that.

5 Likes

My DD22 was encourage by NEU to apply . They have sent her an email in September that they will waive the application fee for her . 75$ . We are not a low income , so it was not a financial waiver . Her stats , GPA and EC are well above NEU published metrics . Differed EA , waitlisted RD.
She is a top 2 student in her competitive private high school by GPA alone.
I think it was a fair game for her to apply to NEU , she had a chance . Unfortunately , with so many applicants this year it’s impossible to predict the admissions results . Congratulations to all who got in .

6 Likes