Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Thanks! I’ve heard that the meal plan is expensive and it’s less expensive for kids to eat off campus but I’m wondering how much they generally spend a week eating off campus if they only have 12 meals on campus? Seems like that could also get expensive quickly?

Many don’t eat breakfast in the dining halls… they have cereal or bars or skip breakfast etc. you also get some meal swipes that can be used at other local restaurants.

I’d also add that NU kids are typically involved in many clubs, parties with friends, and other more regular campus activities found at any school…. But they need to get involved too, it doesn’t just happen. Lots of intramural and club sports too, and Greek life as mentioned. But NU is def not your typical rah rah football/sports (except hockey) tailgating kind of school so if one is looking for that, they should go elsewhere. I agree that the school focuses on coop bc it makes for this atypical schedule and programming and kids need to know what they are getting in to. My kids both also liked grabbing friends and exploring Boston life too… I think that IS part of the reason to go to school in any city.

DC is filling out housing application. A bit stumped on the LLCs–none feel quite right. There is no LLC for their college (Arts & Sciences) and the others feel pretty specific. DC would just like to live with a cross-section of NEU students…any advice?

They used to have an LLC called Fusion that was a cross-section of kids, but it was so popular that the students were in a number of different dorms and maybe it became too unwieldy. I guess you can go random if none of the choices appeal. My son chose the Explore LLC for undecided majors and was placed in a dorm with almost all Computer Science kids. He bonded with the CS kids and they are his closest friends now so it all works out.

1 Like

Thank you! I think DC’s impulse is to go with cultural inclusion or community service, figuring those will have a lot of diversity…

2 Likes

Thanks for this info. I think my daughter with love Boston and exploring it with friends. She’s really looking forward to that!

1 Like

Does anyone get their scholarship amount adjusted to National Merit scholarship?

interested with this topic too

Has anyone heard housing information?

Does NU offer interviews for freshman applicants? If so, do you think it’ll move the needle for admission?

No interview and no supplemental essay. There were over 90,000 applicants last year. They do consider demonstrated interest so try to visit campus, meet an admissions rep at your high school or a college fair, follow them on social media, etc.

But send in a “Why NEU?” essay anyway (via email to your AO). Applicants who did this seem to have had significantly better outcomes.

1 Like

And Early Decision is the ultimate form of demonstrated interest but should only be used if you are ready for a binding commitment, including financially. ED applicants have a higher rate of acceptance.
NU admitted 1,000 fewer students last year due to overcrowding for the class of 2025 but should be back to its normal class size for this year’s admissions cycle.

Hi! My daughter is applying ED to NU. When did your daughters get their acceptances?

2012 and 2016. Younger child just graduated with masters this year.

My son was planning to apply EA, but is considering applying ED 1 or ED 2 because he absolutely loves it, really seems to be a good fit. They do offer an early financial read (must apply for that by 10/21 and have the FAFSA and CSS profile fully complete by then) so that will be a game-changer for us. I don’t trust the NPC because my husband is self-employed so a few variables are confusing. Did you get that early financial read or just do the NPC? Or maybe the cost isn’t an issue? If the COA is close to our EFC, we would definitely consider ED.

Disregard