Northeastern to require all students to be vaccinated for fall semester

That guy is from Harvard and researches these sorts of things - what could he possibly know? :sunglasses:

ps Thanks for posting it. I’ve sent it to my kids as I’m pretty sure they’ll find it interesting too.

pps (The first line is sarcasm in case anyone doesn’t read it that way.)

2 Likes

Medical exemptions are only available in theory.

Here’s another take on “immune amnesia” https://thefullest.com/2020/02/21/measles-and-immune-amnesia-a-closer-look/

Here are some excepts from the disclaimer on The Fullest website linked above (which hosts editorials written by Robert F. Kennedy Jr):

The information published and contained on this website is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only. THE FULLEST, its parent company, owners, operators, agents and employees (“We”) do not warrant or represent that any information placed and/or published on this website is reliable, accurate, complete, error free, verified, peer reviewed or free from defects . . .
If a reader or subscriber is experiencing a medical or health issue of any sort, he or she is advised to seek out professional medical assistance immediately. Medical assistance or advice should never be forgone or delayed due to any content appearing on this website.

I hope that universities, as they decide their policies for dealing with public health threats, rely on the consensus of MD’s, DO’s and PhD’s. That consensus is arrived at through peer reviewed studies, the best way human beings have for discerning the facts about our physical world. Randomized, prospective, double-blind, properly-powered, peer-reviewed research trials have informed us that the Covid vaccines are effective, and safer than getting the disease.

2 Likes

They’re discussing two different things.

With measles, it was found that immunizing the children in a country led to a precipitous drop in infant/child deaths from respiratory and diarrhea infections, too. It was discovered that measles infection wiped out immune memory of other viral infections, so that the child was vulnerable all over again to viruses it had already seen. So the child had to then fight off all the childhood respiratory and GI viral infections all over again. In third world countries, this was a major cause of infant mortality.

What this researcher is saying is that the cytokine storm precipitated by Covid infection may interfere with the immune system’s ability to acquire good memory for the infection, and thus the person may be vulnerable to reinfection. It’s not postulated that covid infection wipes out the immune system’s memory for other prior viral infections.

In any event, this could explain why it appears that the vaccine induces better, longer-lasting immunity against Covid than does actual infection with Covid.

2 Likes

In the cases above, time/research provided answers, much different than this scenario of justifying requiring an experimental vaccine that really isn’t a vaccine since it doesn’t even contain a strain of the disease.

Same with religion, and I trust my God given immune system to take care of this 98% survivable virus.

That’s my point. How do you address the issue of identifying who is vaccinated and who isn’t. I was being a bit tongue in cheek but it is an issue the schools that require vaccines will need to figure out.

That’s fine but some people don’t or can’t trust theirs. It isn’t just about you. That’s why the Supreme Court ruled way back when that the government could require people to get smallpox vaccines. Because there needs to be a balance between personal liberty and public good/necessity.

3 Likes

My son is turning down Northeastern for the same reason tomorrow.

2 Likes

I mean, there’s always branding right?

I see the adult part of the conversation has started.

1 Like

what seemed absurd just a year ago has arrived, nothing surprises me anymore

“Randomized, prospective, double-blind, properly-powered, peer-reviewed research trials have informed us that the Covid vaccines are effective, and safer than getting the disease.” Actually, they have not – not yet. Phase three trials have not yet been completed. When the trials are complete and FDA approval has been given, this would perhaps be a fair statement. Although others might argue that it could be years before the full effects of these novel vaccines are known. Autoimmune disorders can take many years to develop. There is also the possibility of immune enhancement COVID-19 Vaccine Researchers Mindful of Immune Enhancement | The Scientist Magazine®

2 Likes

But again, there is no evidence yet that these vaccines prevent transmission. We hope they do, but we don’t know yet. My daughter is immunocompromised but I would never expect someone to take a vaccine to protect her.

4 Likes

I would be interested to see any studies indicating that the vaccines induce better, longer-lasting immunity than actual Covid infection. That would seem to go against years of experience with other viruses. Here’s the Peter Aarby study on measles, by the way: Low mortality after mild measles infection compared to uninfected children in rural West Africa - PubMed He’s the guy who also was surprised (and probably mortified) to find that DTaP increased overall mortality (significantly!) in a natural experiment conducted in Guinea-Bissau. You have to give him credit for publishing – an honest man. Evidence of Increase in Mortality After the Introduction of Diphtheria–Tetanus–Pertussis Vaccine to Children Aged 6–35 Months in Guinea-Bissau: A Time for Reflection? - PMC

2 Likes

I am sure the tech companies will be happy to help us with a vaccine tracking system we will all have to be part of if we want to live our lives. It’s already happening in New York – the Excelsior Pass, developed in partnership with IBM. And according to Cuomo, Bill Gates and the Gates Foundation are also going to be helping NY “reimagine education”-- whether we want that or not. Can’t wait!

Here is a piece that one of the local Boston TV stations did last night about Northeastern’s decision. Students and a prospective parent didn’t seem to have a problem with the decision. Posters who feel that Northeastern, Cornell and Brown will see a dramatic drop in enrolment are not the majority despite what they think.

3 Likes

From the Chronicle -

Brown University, in Rhode Island
Cornell University, in New York
Fort Lewis College, in Colorado
Northeastern University, in Massachusetts
Nova Southeastern University, in Florida
Rutgers University, in New Jersey
St. Edwards University, in Texas

I expect the list to grow 100x.

6 Likes

All of those who are turning down Northeastern because of this, are likely to find the same thing at whichever school they choose instead.

3 Likes