Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Is there a clear way to tell if an ED acceptance is binding? My son was accepted into NU.in and I assume he is no longer binded since it wasn’t his first choice. But I don’t see a binding release anywhere.

My son’s letter specifically says “Please note: this is a binding decision, and you will be expected to make your enrollment deposit by January 15, 2023.”

So I think if you don’t see this message, that it’s not binding?

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing. That helps a lot since we don’t see a binding release anywhere, and it’s not on the letter that can be downloaded. So I will assume unless the acceptance specifically states that the offer is binding, then you’re released from the ED binding requirement. I think my son will still accept his offer because he likes NU.in but additional flexibility is always nice in case something changes.

1 Like

Hi I have a question about NUin and I’ve read everything online and don’t see it answered anywhere. Are they only taking classes with other NEU students? Or are they on regular study abroad programs with students from around the world? @delaney.roe do you know?

I had written last night how my son was rejected. He logged in and told us. Today I looked at the rejection letter and something interesting was included at the bottom. He stopped reading when he saw he was rejected :). It doesn’t seem like something that would be part of a generic rejection form letter. Has anyone encountered this before?

I emailed and am waiting to hear back to see what they have in mind. He has one last semester at NECC before he receives his associates but I have plenty of time to move around classes if any of them happen to qualify for whatever NECC requires (the ones he currently has scheduled are all business related, so relate to his intended major at NEU)

If enrolling at Northeastern is your goal, we can help you prepare by providing you a transfer guarantee if you complete a prescribed set of prerequisite coursework for your intended major and earn a strong GPA. If you would like to learn more about this transfer opportunity, please contact Brendan Graham at [b.graham@northeastern.edu]

4 Likes

Do you mean you were offered four years at the Oakland campus? If so, that is definitely new since NU just bought Mills College this year. I would definitely talk to Admissions to better understand. My understanding too is that the Oakland campus will be or only does offer certain majors, more social science based, but perhaps they are fully investing more to broaden opportunities. If you find out more, please do share for the benefit of others. Good luck.

Corrected: They will not allow you to switch to Boston admissions for fall. However, NUIN is not binding for ED, so you don’t have to accept until 5/1.

In the past, NUIN is not binding. However, it seems this year they had ED students rank their preferences and if you got what you wanted, it is binding? I would definitely confirm with admissions, but i don’t see how they can make that binding because you are not matriculated into NU for the semester you are at NUin.

My understanding is NUIN is all classes with NEU students.

1 Like

Sound like a guaranteed transfer offer if he meets their requirements. Most kids do not come in with an AA. that would be encouraging!

1 Like

Do you mean “not” allow you to switch to Boston. You wrote now allow. Please clarify.

I apologize and will edit… correct, they will not allow you to switch to Boston.

Did they get rid of the N.U.in Boston option? Also, do you have any students/children who did this program?

That’s what it sounds like to me too. He told them (in a much more formal and passionate tone) that he would dump required spring classes to receive his AA (Honors) and take whatever classes they would like him to if it would allow him to transfer into NEU for Sept 2023.

We met with NEU admissions earlier this year in person and discussed whether he should graduate from HS early (he met graduation requirements his Jr. year) or keep him enrolled in HS even though he was college full time. (His HS allowed him to stay enrolled due to his affiliation with their internship program, and it gave me a 65% break on his college costs as he was “still a HS student”). NEU told us if he graduated early, then he would be considered a transfer student and it would be more difficult to get into NEU. Thus it was their recommendation that he not graduate HS early.

So it’s a bit amusing that we followed their recommendation, but now they’re leaning in the other direction. I hope whatever they’re looking for, it’s something he can do for 2023 admissions, contingent upon his GPA. Neither he (nor us) want him taking a year off and losing momentum. His plan was to stay on at NEU for their PlusOne accelerated MBA program while he is still motivated.

5 Likes

Yes. NU In Boston was only held due to the pandemic and most overseas locations being off limits.

2 Likes

My son also received a guaranteed transfer. He applied ED to NU Boston only for the CS school. I can’t seem to find much info about this option on NU website or on the internet except for the thread above.:slight_smile: My son email the the person listed on the letter to get more info but if anyone has any more insight on this option, please share!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of Northeastern offering a transfer option before, so perhaps this is new for NU this year? I know other schools that offer transfer options.

3 Likes

It has been offered in the past but is rare, at least based on reports here on CC.

2 Likes

NUIN Boston was only an option when they had offered NUin admissions and travel restrictions were in place due to the pandemic in fall 2020 and 2021. It was never intended to be a local program.
Neither of my husky D’s did NUin, but the program has matured and is even sought out by many students as their first choice for NU entry.

Thanks.

4 Likes