Not your typical CC'er.../Chance?

<p>I'm a rising senior at my public high school in New York. I've always seen myself as a pretty smart guy, but looking through these forums tell me otherwise. I'm not your typical CC'er with perfect SAT's or GPA's. Even in my family of lawyers and Engineers, I stick out. Nursing has always been of interest to me and as my high school career winds down, I'm sure this is what I want to do. For me, nursing is the right combination of patient interaction and care that you can't get with other health professions. It offers the gratification of knowing you made a difference and doing what you love, while providing relative financial stability and job security. With that being said, I realize nursing is an incredibly competitive major. After my whole rant, I guess what I'm trying to say is that despite my heavy interest in nursing, I'm still relatively new to the subject. Despite my research and looking up information, nothing can compare to the input you guys can provide. What are some good nursing programs in my area? Can I get into the programs I'm interested in? Grades, scores, etc to become a nursing major? Basically, do I stand a chance? All responses are appreciated.</p>

<p>Schools I intend to apply to:
NYU
Drexel
Rutgers
The College of New Jersey
Temple
Pace</p>

<p>My Stats:
Male
Upper-middle class
Asian? (Filipino father, Irish mother. But, I look pretty Asian. Haha) </p>

<p>3.8 Unweighted GPA
4.6 Weighted GPA
22 out of 424 Class Rank
All Honors and AP classes</p>

<p>570 SAT Critical Reading
550 SAT Math
570 SAT Writing
1690 SAT I</p>

<p>4 years varsity soccer
4 years varsity tennis
2 years varsity wrestling
~100 volunteer hours at local hospital</p>

<p>All responses are appreciated.</p>

<p>NYU is the only school on your list you’ll have any issue getting into.</p>

<p>You would have been a shoe-in NYU, but to be honest your SAT scores did make my stomach cringe (out of ssympathy for you). The SAT scores imply grade inflation, and i would find it hard to belive your AP scorers could have been too great. If you CAN, you would need to get you sat scores up 50 pnts per section to have a good shot. (and once again i hope your AP test scores were 4 or 5)</p>

<p>Thanks for your input! I know my SAT’s are low, but hopefully I’ll improve on them. I didn’t really prepare for them my junior year. I’ll retake them in October and give the ACT a crack as well. I consider NYU as my “reach” school, all the others are my low reach-match schools. I guess this is kind of dangerous since I don’t really have a “safety”, but that a discussion for a later time. I’ve taken APUSH, AP Chemistry, and AP Statistics. I recieved a 3, 4, and 4, respectively. Once again, thank you. I appreciate the feedback.</p>

<p>I guess this is kind of dangerous since I don’t really have a “safety”, but that a discussion for a later time.</p>

<p>I would make sure you have a safety or two on your list. This is an SOP (standard operating procedure) for ALL applicants. Good luck on raising your scores somewhat. By the way, your athletic EC’s are great!</p>

<p>Try to find a safety and a financial safety to apply to. It’s difficult with nursing, because programs can be so hard to get into. And apply EARLY. This is very important because many programs simply fill up well before the application deadline. Even if you’re taking tests again, send in everything else, and your old test scores (with a note that you’re retaking them) ASAP. Meaning by the end of September. And take the September ACT if you can so you can get results earlier. The ACT is a different style than the SAT and you may do much better. </p>

<p>Also Drexel’s program is a bit controversial because they require an exit exam before allowing their students to graduate. This is how their NCLEX pass rate stays so high. There have been cases of students having to re-enroll for an extra year just to be eligible to take that test again so they can get a diploma. Search around on this forum for more info.</p>

<p>Greenwitch, jshain thank you for your advice. I feel Pace could be a match-safety for me. If worse comes to worse, there’s always community college. Drexel interests me because of their co-op. Even though nursing is high in demand and may not need the networking or connections other professions may need, I still feel it would be beneficial to me. I’ll definitely do more research about this controversial extra year, thanks for the heads up.</p>

<p>Greenwitch, thank you for your advice. For the schools that offer it, should I apply EA or do you simply mean apply as early as I can? And if I apply early and intend to retake tests (as I plan to do so) how would I make note of that? Is there a separate section on applications for this? If I apply with my current stats, will I be looked down upon (specifically, my 1690 SAT)? Thanks to all of you! You have no idea how helpful this is.</p>

<p>Some schools have rolling admissions so the earlier you apply, the earlier you will hear back. From some others, you’ll have to wait until spring to hear but it’s still advantageous to apply early. EA is non-binding, and usually just means you apply early. </p>

<p>You might want to hold off on sending the SAT scores to schools that are more of a reach until you have better numbers. The AP scores for Chemistry and Statistics should be sent though. Those are two subjects that nursing students always have to take so they will see those scores as a good indicator.</p>

<p>My only reach school is NYU. I was looking at Villanova for a while, but decided against it. Would you recommend I send in my 1690 SAT to other schools (Drexel, Rutgers) and update them with my new scores if I improve or should I just hold off sending my scores altogether? I feel that my test scores are the kryponite in my application to schools.</p>

<p>you’d need to bump up those numbers if you decided to take another look at 'Nova…Drexel’s co-op is a great program, and i’d rate it higher then Rutgers…TCNJ is a very good school,but i know little of their nursing program…same for PACE…If you decide to go to Temple, in lieu of a laptop,they provide a kevlar vest :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Our campus is fine and completely safe. We have one of the largest police departments in Pennsylvania. I’ve never had a single safety issue here. Please stop further perpetuating absolute garbage. Thanks.</p>

<p>Dionte, shouldn’t you be working on your “game” instead of visiting nursing threads?</p>

<p>I’m working on my “game” in Turkey, making several hundred thousand dollars a year. Thanks for your concern, qdoba.</p>

<p>Dinote, why aren’t you asleep??? With the time zone in Turkey it was 4:18 AM (local time)when you posted…Doesn’t sound like a very good idea for you to not get the sleep an athlete of your caliber needs… ;)</p>

<p>How do you have a 3.8 GPA and a 1690 SAT??? I can’t even fathom how that’s possible.</p>

<p>^^^^
Seems like Grade Inflation, perhaps a result of the No Child Left Behind craze</p>

<p>Yeah, but still…thats like an 890 on the 1600 pt SAT…I got an 1120 the first time I took my SAT, before the writing section was factored in (I couldn’t tell you what I got on the writing section, I didn’t even pay attention to the score since it wasn’t really counted when I applied for colleges; it was still too new of a section on the test).</p>

<p>I had about a 3.8 (again, can’t remember precisely) GPA and a 1270 (second time I took the test) SAT, intended to go to Med School, and struggled with the pre-med curriculum, so good luck with the nursing thing. But hey, after taking some of your gen eds, you may even find something you like better.</p>

<p>

You see a lot of this. One of the reasons why colleges insist on standardized testing.</p>

<p>Hm…guess I’m just not that familiar with it in practice. I’ve never seen the drastic difference actually written down like that before.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t automatically assume it’s grade inflation. He said he only took the SAT once, and didn’t prepare for it. If you’re not used to standardized tests at all, or not used to tricky ones like the SAT, there can be a big disparity. Where I live, the public schools start the kids out on the PSAT in middle school and they are drilled for it a lot. They have high average test scores but I wonder at what cost.</p>

<p>He got a 4 on his AP tests in Statistics and Chemistry, not exactly lightweight subjects. I think it shows he’s just not good at or prepared for the style of the SAT test and while he should take that one again, he should immediately start prepping for the ACT which is quite different.</p>