Nursing Major + Questions

Hey everyone!

When I go to college (undergrad), I have decided that I would like to major in nursing and get my BSN. However, I have a few questions. In order to get my BSN, do I have to attend/apply to a special type of college like one that has an accredited program? Also, once I graduate from college (undergrad), would I then have to immediately take the NCLEX-RN exam in order to be considered for grad school to become an RN? I have no one to help me with this whole nursing process so any information you give me would be greatly appreciated!

You must attend a nursing school to become a nurse. You do not need a master’s degree. Go to any college website that has a nursing program and it will be explained.

You don’t go to grad school to become a RN

What is your home state?

Florida @Gumbymom

If you want a BSN, go to a college that offers it. It will be listed in the website - probably called pre-licensure nursing or something like that, since you take your NCLEX after graduation to get your RN license. Most take it right after graduation because they have spent four years and countless practice exams in order to pass it and it’s fresh in their minds.

You don’t need graduate work to be an RN. Pass that NCLEX, you are a registered nurse.

You will want your program to be accredited in some way, either by a national organization or your state board of nursing. It should clearly state somewhere if it is and by what governing body. You’ll also want to weigh the pros and cons of direct admit from high school versus a non-direct program where people compete to get into the major around sophomore year.

Please be very very suspicious of for-profit colleges. Florida loosened up their nursing accreditation several years ago to encourage for-profit colleges to offer nursing. Many did, and the results have been bad. You don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars and then not be able to pass the certification test.

There are two main legitimate nursing accredition organizations, which list their approved programs on their website. The public universities and quality private universities will prominently state that accredition on their website. There may be some illegitimate supposed accredition organizations that use similar names.

Look for one of these:

1. Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing (ACEN)
  1. Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) - http://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE-Accreditation/Resources-for/Students-Residents

You may need to do some ‘searching’ for the right type of in-state program. Usually I would say go to nursing licensure web site for the state of FL, but they refer to www.fldoe.org. FL has 28 colleges in their ‘system’.

Some states have very cost effective programs like community college 2 year RN program that students that can then go on to BSN program, using RN to BSN curricula.

Some nursing programs that are BSN have some great features like a ‘scholars’ program for entering freshmen. For example, UABirmingham (AL) has this feature. DD was in-state in AL and was in this program (largest nursing program in AL).

Most state large flagship schools cannot educate all the students wishing to enter their nursing program - so many students may start as a freshman nursing student but not complete their degree there.

Then what is the point of grad school? @bearcatfan

This is the School of Nursing at Northeastern University as an example.
https://bouve.northeastern.edu/nursing/
Please review the programs and requirements.

To clarify and build upon the above comments: You can take the RN exam after getting an Associates or a Bachelors nursing program that is approved by your State Board of Nursing. Many people start with an Associates degree, get a job, and then receive benefits from their employer to subsidize taking classes towards their BSN.

A person also has the option of becoming a Practical Nurse. That requires less education, has lower admission standards, but will have lower pay.

If you want to go to a community college for nursing, please be aware that it is often a competitive program for admission , and may require 3 years of study. Often there is a waiting list, and a student will need to take a year of prerequisites and do well in them before they can become a nursing major for the last 2 years.

A BSN will provide a wider range of employment choices than an Associates degree.

There are many nursing certifications that are available for specialties, after you receive a BSN. Many employers will subsidize that education.

You have the option of receiving a masters in nursing, which will typically make you eligible for higher level positions with higher pay. However, you can make a good living with just a BSN.

The highest level is to become a Nurse Practitioner. At many colleges, this now requires a doctorate, while many others still offer a masters.

@pl215382 See @Charliesch 's reply above about graduate school. It is not necessary. Probably in some cases it is desireable like in any specialty - especially if your employer will pay for it - but you can have a long career as a nurse without a graduate degree.

The NCLEX is not necessary for graduate school - it’s not an entrance exam such as those for law school or medical school. It’s a licensing exam that you must pass if you want to have “R.N.” after your name and work as a registered nurse. I would imagine most master’s nursing programs require one to have passed that exam in order to enter master’s programs, but I don’t know for sure.

Good luck in your decision!

Some nursing programs (that are not direct entry from high school) do require a student to take a nursing entrance exam to be considered for admission. I would guess that test would mainly cover the material in the required prerequisite science classes.