Nursing or Biology(Premed)

I have been on the fence about studying nursing or Biology. I have worked as a CNA in a nursing home facility and a hospital setting. I worked in a long term care for nearly a year, and have been working as a “tech” (which is the same thing) in a well accredited area hospital. Because I have the nursing background I have considered a nursing major and obtaining my BSN from my university. The main goal is to work in Pediatrics,specifically oncology. I love challenges, and have been working full time (36 hours a week) and going to school full time (16+ credit hours). I love taking care of my patients and learning from them, but I am unable to decide if I want more. I have worked alongside my nurses and have seen the good, bad, and ugly, therefore I am well informed of what nurses go through, but I know that there is more that I am not seeing. Most of my co-workers have either graduated from the nursing program or are in the program. When I did decide that I was going to do nursing, I was told tht the program was full and to major in Biology where I can enter either program. The nursing program doesn’t let late applicants in because of the competitive program, but the rate of students dropping the program is high because most students do not know what they are getting into. I am really intrigued with research and cell Biology which makes me go back to the question of which one do I truly want to do, and what will I enjoy everyday without any regrets?

If you are going to school full time now, what are you studying and what are your grades.

The dilemma is that going the pre-ed route is risky and my guess is that the majority of people who start pre-med do not end up going to medical school. However, if you are working in the nursing field and feel like there is another level you could attain, then go for biology.

Nursing is more of a sure thing. It is easier to get into, although manufactured shortages in training programs can mean you must stand in line. Going the nurse practitioner route might be the surest route given that you have specific goals (although those goals change for many people once they get closer to the level). For example, pediatric oncology might be more interesting when you watch it than when you do it. Not sure how many NP’s are doing oncology though.

The other problem is that neither nursing nor biology translates well from one into the other. For example, studying a nursing program virtually precludes being pre-med and vice versa.

While my daughter was working in a hospital, she concluded she was very glad she didn’t go the pre-med route. She said the MDs were under much more stress than the nurses. The nurses were busy, but they could leave their work behind at the end of their shift. The nurses had much less stress from missing a diagnosis. (I just heard about a Physician’s Assistant who screwed up and didn’t recognize a serious MRSA infection, when a patient came in twice with complications after surgery).

Each year, tens of thousands of pre-meds graduate college and are not accepted into any med school. Hundreds of thousands of additional pre-meds drop out along the way. At many colleges, organic chemistry is the class that is designed to weed out the pre-meds. (That is illogical, because many doctors say they never use organic chemistry).

One of the big differences between nursing and pre-med is that the pre-meds must take additional high level chemistry classes. You might start with a chemistry course that would work for both degrees to understand your apptitude.

I have been given an opportunity to get into the nursing program, but I can’t decide if nursing is worth it. I definitely want to be involved with patient care and continue doing what I am doing with my kid patients, but I also see the way that nurses are treated and I am afraid that if I go into the program and become a nurse, that I will be doing exactly what I am doing now-“scut” with more money.

Is your choice nursing or pre med, or do you mean to consider nursing as premed?

I have been back and forth on which one I want to do, either nursing or pre-med. I am leaning more towards nursing but I have already made my schedule for pre-med.

1 Like

Well, it is much easier to start pre-med and then go to nursing than the other way around. If you are bored with scut then try pre-med.

I don’t agree that organic chemistry is “designed” to be a pre-med weed out course. The class is designed for chemistry majors and has concepts that are difficult for many. In that capacity, organic chemistry is a stumbling block for many students but not by design. That is also something to notice - basic science classes for nursing are generally taught at a lower level of difficulty than those for science majors and usually do not count toward pre-med requirements.

Why not PA/OT/Physio? What are your stats like?

http://www.premedlife.com/feature-articles/why-organic-chemistry-is-the-weed-out-course-for-premeds-4418/

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/it-s-time-to-retire-premed/

RNs are paid too well to be doing crap work on a regular basis. You may be seeing LPNs. Also, RNs have plenty of opportunity to earn certifications that allow them earn more money and have more responsibility. Often, the employers will help to pay for that additional education.

One of the positive things about nursing is the ability to find a job in many parts of the country, particularly after you gain some experience. After Med School, graduates may have to go to less pleasant places to find a residency, particularly in a particular specialty. During those years of residency, many Med School grads will be making less money and working much longer hours than RNs of the same age - and the Med School grads will have to make much larger debt payments.

The other option is to do premed and if you change your mind then do an accelerated nursing degree. It would add a year or so to you schooling but in the long run it would be ok. On the subject on what nurses do and how they are treated I was told from my nurse friends that it varies a lot on the setting. They worked at places that they hated but also worked at places that they loved. One of my friends hated nursing and almost quit but then she became a psych nurse and loved it. After some experience she became a psych nurse consultant and loved it even more. I have no personal experience though. The other thought is if you consider medicine that’s a lot of years of studying would you consider to get a masters or doctorate as a nurse? In the clinic I go there are a couple higher end nurses that no way they do “scut” work. From what I see they look like doctors. No idea if they are treated badly though.

It is very desirable to try to be in a situation where you can finish your bachelors degree in 4 years. That is because most need based and merit based aid offered by colleges is only good for 8 semesters. Many types of federal and state college grants are only good for 8 semesters. That means that any undergrad semesters after 4 years of fulltime education can be much much more expensive.

For example, most colleges that offer RN programs for people who already have a bachelors do not offer any financial aid. Federal college grants are not available to persons who already have a bachelors degree. That means that for the 5th year of college, many students have to rely upon much more expensive forms of debt, including PLUS loans or private loans.

@Charliesch
I don’t disagree with what you say. That is desirable indeed. However, some students are not ready to commit ahead for whatever reason. It happens to other majors as well where students find impossible to get a job without master degrees and then they have to borrow money for that. Or they figure out late what they really good at. Not optimal but at least there is the option. I believe too it is better to plan ahead but unfortunately not all young adults are ready for that.

The beauty of nursing is that there are just so many areas you can work in and if you find you dislike one area you can try something totally different . I have worked in the hospital , in home care while my children were small and now in an outpatient office setting. I was a stay at home mom for awhile and was able to return to nursing after being home and ended up in an ongyn office that is Mon to Friday , no holidays , weekends , or eves. In my office we have several BSNs, nurse practitioners and nurse midwives , all of whom are an integral part of the practice . We are all valued and respected and I feel very fortunate to work there . Yes , there are many crappy situations you can work in as a nurse but there is always the opportunity to find something else. If new grads are flexible , there are areas of the country right now that have huge demands for nursing , so it is not difficult to find a job . I have a d who graduated in May from a BSN program , had 4 or 5 offers between March and May , passed her NCLX in June and will start a new grad residency program in a hospital in a few weeks. She chose nursing over premed so she could work immed after 4 yrs and then will likely go on for her Masters ( Practitioner ) after she has a better idea of which area she wants to stay in .

Good points NJ. After years of working in a hospital, my RN sister went to work for the VA doing intake triage. As you get older, it is nice to find a job where you are not on your feet all day.

One other factor between RN vs. MD. RNs typically get to spend more time with each patient. MDs are very tightly scheduled, and often run in and run out.

@ Charliesch…exactly ! While I did enjoy my time in the hospital , I’m not really missing it now !

Don’t know that we can offer much help as you have to look within yourself for the answer. I will say two things. 1. If you suspect being a nurse will not be enough, you should go the other way. 2. Being a nurse practioner is not just like being a doctor. Don’t seek it as a consolation prize or a path of least resistance,