Nursing or Software Development/CIS?

Hello, I need some advice. I am 24, turning 25 in two months. I am an Endoscopy Technician (I have my CNA) at a hospital here. I am thinking about going to Nursing school. It will take me about 2 years to finish the prerequisites, and depending which program I get accepted to (LPN or RN, I will apply to both) it will take me another 2 years to get my RN. Then my plan is to do an RN to MSN program online possibly. So that’s about 7 years of school. Since I already work in the medical field, I’d have a job right after I graduate and could just move up the ladder.

I am also considering a software development or computer information systems program that is completely online. I love anything to do with computers and I think I’d be good at it. My boyfriend is a software engineer and my brother is a tester, and both of their jobs are exactly what I want. Great benefits, great pay, get to go on trips, can work from home etc. This program is about 3 years for a bachelor’s. I don’t have any work experience in this field.

Pros and cons? Advice?

Thanks!
Sara

You could take a for-credit software class and see if you really like it. If you don’t like it, you can use it as an elective for a nursing degree. I wouldn’t worry about the MSN degree at this point in time - that is long-range and it is not necessary to make a decent salary.

You might look for a career that would combine some health care experience with some software work.

It is helpful to go on a website like Monster.com and find jobs that you would like to have in a couple years. Then see what qualifications they are seeking, and try to achieve them.