Nursing Schools

<p>ahh shoot my stats are around yours. uconn is my number one. oh god now im nervous</p>

<p>kelso17 what were your stats like (like gpa and stats and extracurriculars)? and did you do anything special for you application?</p>

<p>*sats .</p>

<p>I got into Penn State nursing (just found out yesterday), Case Western and Drexel!! and I got deferred from UConn… so I’ve realized that schools may surprise you with where you get in for nursing!</p>

<p>visited west chester university 1/25, son accepted. got tour of nursing labs and SIMS. while there, students were studying together on desktops for NCLEX. i believe WCU is #9 in state among all colleges for graduation rate on NCLEX. we were more impressed with their classroom and SIMS set up than uconn’s. very friendly staff member gave us all of her time and great info. take 1000 apps accept @150 and fill 65 spots. said @ 670 clinical hours in town and in philly,@ 20 mins away. nursing classes are on south campus @ 3/4 mi off main campus. shuttles run every 10 mins. large campus, new suite style dorms going up. good wi-fi throughout campus. food was good. nice college town. looks like here or duquesne, accepted nursing students visit there on 2/20.</p>

<p>TCNJ, U Del, Ramapo College (NJ), Seton Hall U, La Salle U, Catholic U, Clemson
If you have any info on any of these, please let me know. Thanks!</p>

<p>I visited CU and found that it had some really interesting relationships with the local hospitals - great location and they are willing to individualize programs of study</p>

<p>Also take a look at St. Louis-</p>

<p>My D applied EA for UCONNs nursing program. She received a letter that said that she was accepted to the Academic Center for Exploratory students. When you were deferred, what did your letter say. Even her guidance counselor didn’t understand the letter. Did your letter offer you admission into another major? Thanks.</p>

<p>he received no offer in another major, his letter read something like this “The Admissions Committee has completed an initial review…at this time the committee has deferred your application for a second review…please submit your mid-year grades…we will notify you in mid-April…blah blah blah” what? mid-April!!! no thanks</p>

<p>will be submitting the grades but gotta say, after visiting some other school son accepted to, seeing their classroom settings, proximity to major clinical settings and distance from home to school i can’t see uconn coming into play for him…can’t say I’m an expert but some state schools in PA have what appears to be better settings,proximity and similar clinical hours to UCONN at half the cost. with his acceptance to Duquesne Nursing and merit $ they are seriously in play…accepted nursing students visit on 20th…
sounds like her letter could be an acceptance into a liberal arts/general studies program…just a guess. good luck</p>

<p>My D got a similar letter from U Mass, she was accepted to the school, but not her major,nursing…i guess entering as “undecided”, which made saying NO THANKS very easy…</p>

<p>^^^^
We’ll also be at Dusquense on the 20th, hopefully it won’t snow,which kept us from fairfield this weekend</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. We’re in state so thats probably why I’m pushing it. She has received direct admission to the nursing programs at Loyola Chicago and URI so far. Waiting for some more. . hopefully. Thanks for the information and good luck to you and your son.</p>

<p>P.S. FYI There was no snow here in Connecticut this weekend.</p>

<p>^^^
Quit teasing us.</p>

<p>^^^^
Don’t speak so fast, another Nor’Easter is coming thru tuesday-wednesday and won’t miss the NY-CT area this time :)</p>

<p>After nearly 20 inches this weekend,i hope it is not a similar snowfall.THAT is what kept us from visiting Fairfield,the Open House weekend was still held</p>

<p>^^^
I’m in SW. PA and like you we got buried on Fri/SAT. 20+ inches with possibly more tomorrow.</p>

<p>D is struggling over the college process. She was admitted to some large flagship universities (she had wanted the large school experience), but they are 2+2 nursing programs. She knows that getting into their nursing programs later will be very competitive. On the other hand, she has been admitted to smaller schools with 0-4 nursing programs. Someone in nursing told her to grab the 0-4 programs, both because of the level of education offered in a 4-year program and since getting into RN to BSN or 2 year BSN programs is a lot more difficult than people realize. I’ve reminded her that she can get the big-school experience in grad school, if it’s still important to her later. </p>

<p>Still, these are difficult choices for a high school senior.</p>

<p>^^^
I think you already know that most of the people here would recommend that your daughter attend the best direct entry (0-4) program that she can get accepted…and will feel comfortable. Clearly if it comes down to a choice between large flagships 2+2 schools or direct entry smaller schools…you have to decide what is most important…your daughter’s desire for a big school experience and the associated risk, or a smaller / medium school with out the concern of having to compete at the end of 2 years. </p>

<p>Sometimes when someone type something on a forum it comes across as “cold” or uncaring. The following is absolutely not meant to be mean spirited and is only my personal opinion. If my daughter’s high school grades / SAT were not “impressive” enough for her to get accepted at a direct entry state flagship school, there is no way that I’d allow her to enroll in a 2+2 year program. Find a compromise direct entry nursing program that she can be (relatively) happy at and not have to compete in two years.</p>

<p>I agree with the suggestions to take the offers of direct admission into the nursing program. Personally, I know of at least five college students that entered a 2+2 program only to be turned away in their sophomore year (with very good grades I might add). They are now scrambling to find another school or trying to choose a “health related” field that is offered. I think it all boils down to one question: what is more important to the applicant, the school or the career. Good luck and I’m sure she’ll make the right decision for her.</p>

<p>P.S. Still little to no snow in CT!</p>