Nursing Schools

<p>It is difficult to figure it all out. Looks like some of the “better” 2-2 programs might look worth “taking a chance” (in hopes the student does get accepted into the program after the 2 years…but that unknown factor is there. UNC is a good example. Looking at true direct admit programs/0-4, it seems like yes, they are “in” the nursing school but that nothing really gears up until mid Soph year. So, the 0-4 programs get you into the nursing program more like one semester before the 2-2 programs?</p>

<p>Other than the comfort of already being “in” the school of nursing, do the direct admit schools truly result in more nursing education and clinical experiences? Do the 2-2 programs just cram it all in 2 years? How advantageous is a highly selective direct admit 0-4 program?</p>

<p>In a 0-4 program, you generally start clinicals in the second year rather than the third year. This is a major advantage.</p>

<p>Does anyone think that TCNJ has a better nursing program than U Penn ? Im considering applying to U Penn</p>

<p>Isn’t it too late to apply?</p>

<p>sorry i didnt specify ^ I meant as a transfer student next year</p>

<p>You didn’t mention TCNJ and U Penn nursing programs in the same sentence,did you? If so, the answer is a definite NO!!!</p>

<p>So your saying that U Penn’s nursing program is better?? This is strange to me, at one of the admission sessions for nursing that I attended for U Penn one of the ladies from admissions stated that it might be more difficult to be accepted at TCNJ and that they are more selective.</p>

<p>U Penn’s program is definitely better!</p>

<p>Does anybody know when UPenn sends out letters- heard it is early this week?</p>

<p>^^^
You might want to check the Penn forum periodically.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/864469-nursing-decisons-feb-19th.html#post1064156832[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/864469-nursing-decisons-feb-19th.html#post1064156832&lt;/a&gt;
Penn had 500 applicants and accepted 20%.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/869442-20-nursing-acceptance-rate-class-2014-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/869442-20-nursing-acceptance-rate-class-2014-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It may be that some of the state programs have a lower acceptance rate than Penn due to the sheer number of applicants. (I would have expected more than 500 applicants at Penn.)</p>

<p>For example, we were told by GC that the acceptance rate at UConn was only about 10% for the nursing program.</p>

<p>we attended duquesne accepted nursing student preview day 2/20 w/son. we left impressed. great information and easily understood info from staff and current students. even parents and prospective students at our table helpful. the current students we talked to were articulate, sharp, insightful and truly enjoyed their time at duquesne. one interesting comment that impressed my son was when a current male student told my son that Duquesne gives a great clincial and classroom experience but also teaches the intangibles that he felt will make them great nurses…bedside manner, service,preparation, being professional in the community,etc…real life situations</p>

<p>alot of numbers were tossed around will try to recap as accurate as possible from memory.@600 applicants, will fill 100 students from this 14% accepted were male. 1170 clincal hours all over the city. the number was a bit skewed as many hours are community services hours tied into their classwork. the hours are served in a variety of comfortable and challenging setting in all parts of Pittsburgh. i’m o.k. with that as it builds a good base to work from and son regularly serves the community. avg SAT of accepted class is 1130</p>

<p>i believe i counted 9 SIMS people to practice skills on. with both high a low fidelity SIMS. was impressed with the video taping of students and the real life scenarios they place the students in. the nursing dept looked and felt like a hospital setting more than any of the others we visited including UCONN and Pitt and a few PA state schools. transportation around the city is easy with the bus system. no reason to have a car for clinicals.</p>

<p>so, if 3/4’s of a students life is the school we were sold. the other 1/4 is the student life. the city is great. the mellon arena where there are major concerts and the penguins play here can be seen from the nursing dept. pirates and steelers right there. great cultural district. friday night we spent on the strip eating at primantis, saturday night we spent on the Southside eating and shopping, our son met friends from his high school who are at pitt and duquesne and went to an important “social event” at a frat. sunday we had breakfast at deluca’s on the strip and back to the school for a great basketball game against Dayton.</p>

<p>Not a bad drive there and back, four hours with one stop. just have to watch rush hour schedule. </p>

<p>if i think of other details, will post later…oh, my son’s going to dusquene.</p>

<p>was at Duquesne also the same time…Was impressed also with the facilities as mentioned above…Small issues that we observed and commented on…</p>

<p>1) Someone asked/wrote a question about groups of students knowing each other from HS,hence existing groups or cliques…Girl at the table said she experienced it,and after being upset early on, it wasn’t an issue…Another girl said she had 3 girls from her HS in the same nursing program/grade</p>

<p>2) the Nursing facilities/school seemed like a bunch of rooms cut in haphazardly,with narrow corridors/hallways,almost like a maze…Not that it bothered us greatly, but thought it was weird…</p>

<p>3)The hours of clinicals were hard to understand,as community service is also a big part of program,such as going to local schools,etc and teach children about “cleanliness” and importance of washing hands to stay healthy.cough into arm,etc…</p>

<p>4)love the Jesuit component,thought those that spoke were down-to-earth, and pretty funny</p>

<p>5)small class size enables all teachers/instructors to know every student fairly well</p>

<p>6) flight from Philly was less then an hour,beats driving like last visit to U Pitt which was miserable at 5 hours…</p>

<p>7) Finally, D was not in love with Dusquense,so final decision is still up in air…</p>

<p>^ Duquesne isn’t Jesuit…</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>OOPs, meant Catholic, confused Duquense with another school my D is accepted to, Fairfield,which is Jesuit</p>

<p>Rejected from UPenn nursing… and I was put on the waitlist for UConn nursing… I withdrew my UConn application because I’m pretty sure I’m going to Case Western!</p>

<p>^^^
My daughter is in the same position…rejected from Penn and trying to decide between Case and Pitt (possibly UVa…).</p>

<p>At the end of the day (drum roll, please), it’s Duquesne. </p>

<p>We went to numerous open houses and visits. During the last two years, D researched and compared curriculums. She researchd both current nclex pass rates and trends. She interviewed nearly 30 current nurses in our area (ER abd ward nurses in hospitals, nurses in medical offices, nursing home nurses, parents of friends…even the school nurse). She considered the number and models of the SIMs on-campus, and whether they were shared with other departments. She questioned nursing students at every school, asking for their opinions about the best and worst things at each school. She researched the hospitals where schools offered clinicals, and how students located or were assigned clinicals. (She found out, for example, that Duquesne and Pitt both go to the same nationally known hospitals and that they even share clinical experiences.) D looked at how many students were accepted, vs. how many students actually graduate. She asked about whether classes were graded on curves, and about nursing students’ average GPAs. She asked about the number of required clinical hours. She calculated bottom line cost, after scholarships. She looked at job placement opportunities for graduates, and number of students who continue to grad school. She asked about weighed whether it was possible to study abroad within the nursing program. She looked at the number of electives and how they fit into the program. She asked about philosophies of patient care. D researched how schools would apply the credits that she’s earned through dual enrollment. She met with several professors at a few schools, so as not to let one wonderful individual influence her. For non-direct admit programs, she inquired into the stats of the students who are admitted into nursing and whether the prenursing prereqs are readily available.</p>

<p>She weighed her desire for a big-school experience, with the fact that nursing is going to be a small-school experience even within a big school.</p>

<p>I’m actually really impressed with D’s research and thoughtful consideration of her choices. I’ve had kids who were much more casual about the process, so this kid’s determination to make an informed decision was a pleasure for me.</p>

<p>She finally decided that Duquese is the best fit for her. She feels confident that she will graduate from there as a well-trained nurse in four years.</p>

<p>So it finally ends…last kid, and last college hunt. Best wishes to all.</p>

<p>^ Congrats! It’s a great feeling to have things all figured out. It was in March of last year that I decided.</p>

<p>Congrats Neonzeus! Sounds like a great choice.</p>