Nursing Schools

<p>OH no! I am so scared after reading all of your guys’ posts!
I applied to Gonzaga School of Nursing, University of Portland School of Nursing, UPenn School of nursing, and Georgetown school of nursing (as well as a couple other non nursing schools) Judging by my stats, do you think I can make it in? I’m rethinking my UPenn essays and perhaps they weren’t so good, but I know that my Georgetown essays made my counselor cry!</p>

<p>I have already received my acceptance into the Univeristy of Portland school of nursing w/ a large merit scholarship, as well as an acceptance into Gonzaga w/ an even larger scholarship, but no news of the school of nursing! which is really worrying me because it’s the 3rd best inthe NW and pretty difficult to get into.
Here are my Stats:
Academic GPA: 3.67 unweighted, 4.99 weighted
SAT/ACT: 31 ACT, 2120 SAT (670 CR, 750 Math, 700 Wr)
Chinese: 790
English: 660
Math II: 670 </p>

<p>IB Anthropology: 5 (first year ANTHRO is offered at my school)
IB Math SL: 5 (taken year after course)
Course load: Full IB diploma candidate, completed all math classes offered Junior year (3 years ahead of curriculum)
School Type: Cornell, Rice, and Carnegie Mellon reach schools, already accepted at Gonzaga w/ large scholarship ( ) </p>

<p>Gender: Female
Race: Asian
Recs: Extremely Good
Essays: Excellent? Really tells them about my personality. </p>

<p>ECs:
Started own charity club at school and two other schools: 3 years
Student leadership 2 years: ASB Philanthropist
Met with state legislature for three days to discuss future economy, environment, and education
School Christian club founder and president
NHS (officer)
MUN
Violinist for America’s First Youth Orchestra - 5 years
State top violinist
Marketing Student of the Year
State Marketing award - 2nd place
Volunteered 40+ hours tutoring underprivileged children.
Chinese Language school
Chinese Speech Competition 2 years winner
State Art Award (was not included in application because not awarded until last week)</p>

<p>Work:
English Tutor @ Brainchild tutoring center</p>

<ul>
<li>My grades are extremely low because I had to take a lot of time off sophomore and junior year to help my mom’s business to support the family here and in China. I did not mention it in my application because I didn’t want to seem whiny, but my counselor will mention it.</li>
<li>2nd generation Chinese immigrant.</li>
<li>Did not study or take classes for SAT or ACT</li>
<li>My rank is also low because IB curriculum there are SL classes and HL classes, Sl classes generally easier to get a grade, and I’m taking all HL classes. </li>
<li>Ultimate goal: to work for the World Health Organization, or as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations.</li>
<li>Sent in art supplement, but missed deadline for music supplement (no longer have violin teacher)</li>
</ul>

<p>I’m so glad…that CC exists! Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>

^^^
If you want to be a nurse why would you apply to schools without nursing programs? I think you should go to Cornell.</p>

<p>

Couldn’t agree more. The first goal is to make sure you have at least one acceptance at a school you’d be willing to attend. </p>

<p>Also in W.PA you might try: Carlow, Waynesburg & Robert Morris, Carlow does their clinical hours with the Pitt student at UPMC and Waynesburg has a very good nursing program with clinical hours in Morgantown (WVU). </p>

<p>Get started on those “realistic” college apps…the clock is ticking. Good luck.</p>

<p>Rekg2014: we are in the DC area too and one of my twin daughters is going into nursing. It’s scary because at every school we visit, we’re told that it is the hardest major and the hardest field to apply to! </p>

<p>She considers her safeties to be Towson, Stevenson (formerly Villa Julie) and Shepherd U. Stevenson is having a nursing open house on January 19th. They also give tours at night, so it should be easy to visit from this area.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, I am not at Drexel. They gave me no money (don’t qualify for anything need based), so I couldn’t afford it. </p>

<p>I go to Le Moyne College. It’s a small, Catholic school, Jesuit to be exact. There are between 2600 and 2700 undergrads and about 800 graduate students. The nursing program is extremely unique. It’s a 1+2+1…so the first year you spend taking core courses and prereqs. The second and third year are almost exclusively at St. Joseph’s College of Nursing at St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, and after the third year, you graduate with an ASN and sit for the NCLEX-RN. The fourth year you’re back at Le Moyne full time, and finish up a BSN. Last year, about 13% of the applicants were admitted. They have rolling admissions, so you could still apply now. I have confidence that you would get in, especially since they look at you as a whole person, not just numbers.</p>

<p>Also, going with a 2 year school should be your last resort. It’s not worth it in nursing to do that because it will most likely take you 3 years (almost nobody does it in less than 5 semesters, but it usually takes 6), and then if you think about that a BSN would only be 1 more year…</p>

<p>Sing Dance thanks for your response. In terms of two year programs I was thinking about BSNs from Loyola, Md ( does a joint program with Hopkins and UMBC), JMU and South Carolina. I did receive an acceptance today from St Louis which is a great relief, and applied to VCU, East Carolina, Longwood and Radford over the weekend. I should hear from JMU this week and I will take a look at LeMoyne later this evening and try to get an application completed. </p>

<p>Many thanks for your encouragement and hope you have a great year!</p>

<p>

I can imagine it is. Congratulations!!! Now that you have a “home” in the Fall you can relax a little and continue your applications. You may be surprised and get some acceptances that you were not expecting. Hopefully so… Good Luck!</p>

<p>Congrats Rekg2014! If you’ve got any questions on Le Moyne, just let me know.</p>

<p>@Rekg2014: I looked into SLU’s nursing program when I was selecting where to apply. It is extremely strong and regionally it is prestigious. A lot of their nursing graduates get jobs hospitals in the St. Louis area (and, unlike a lot of other areas, St. Louis and the rest of Missouri have a lot of hospitals that are currently hiring!).</p>

<p>Just heard from JMU this week and have that which is a bit of a positive and a surprise but it does not a four year nursing program. I appreciate the input on SLU and would agree about its regional benefits. Now we begin the process of waiting it out for the spring answers although I think I will hear from a few of the schools prior to mid-March.</p>

<p>JMU = James Madison?</p>

<p>yes nice school that one of my brother’s attended a few years ago. Very difficult to gain admission into the nursing program for the last couple of years but time will be the judge if that is where I end up.</p>

<p>Has anyone heard from the UConn nursing program? I submitted my whole application on nov. 14 and i still havent heard back. I’m getting nervous</p>

<p>Not yet and mine has been complete for about the same period- think I had everything but extra recs in by Nov 1- maybe it is an out of state thing</p>

<p>yes, submitted about the same time. heard back @ 1/5. deferred, no biggie though…school is nice but 6 hrs away, $$$ OOS and major hospitals far drive from campus son accepted at duquesne and rhode island. merit $$ at duquesne nothing yet from URI.waiting on umass amherst anyone have information on the programs, anyone visited there and their nursing depts. especially duquesne.</p>

<p>ha well im in state. im still worried. what was your resume like?</p>

<p>Going to Dusquesne in Feb for an open house,not sure if it is specifically for Nursing…</p>

<p>bcoer5…see stats on prev post</p>

<p>qdogpa…we are going also, 2/20. yes, open house for accepted nursing students. west chester on 1/25</p>

<p>bcoer5, I applied to UConn in early October and just heard back today… deferred from nursing… and I didnt think that was possible especially because I’m in state. It must be very hard to get into :(… I got into Case Western nursing though and I’m pretty sure Case is a much better school than UConn anyways so I will probably end up at Case.</p>

<p>UConn’s loss–Case is a very good school</p>