[NURSING] Universtiy of San Francisco vs. UCLA

I am currently a freshman at usf but I’m not sure if I should try transferring to UCLA. UCLA is obviously more rigorous and prestigious but do you guys think going to UCLA would land me a job in the bay area (or anywhere for that matter) better that USF, which has a 70% acceptance rate?

I wanted to work in the bay area and I received a scholarship from USF so I turned top nursing schools such as UW, UMich, NYU, SDSU, and Case Western (got rejected from UCLA and UCI though even with a 1500 SAT )

1. UCLA is limited in dollars and probably spaces for its nursing program.

https://www.nursing.ucla.edu/admissions/degree-programs/bachelor-science/admission-requirements
    It is harder for transfers to get aid.

2. Once you get a degree, it doesn't matter where you apply for a job.
    The schools in California do a really good job of educating medical personnel.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the nursing program and overall experience like at USF and why do you want to transfer? I am planning on applying to USF, so I’d really appreciate any insight you can give me :slight_smile:

@aunt bea Thanks for the insight

The elite places like Stanford Hospital will primarily look for nurses out of UCSF (master’s) or UCLA, but they get applicants from all over the country. I think though that for other hospitals, a place like USF would be fine. A high GPA is key.

@moonlightash I’m a freshman so I haven’t really familiarized myself with the nursing program. I mainly want to transfer because I don’t really like the campus life or level of academia here (I went to a very acadmic rigorous high school). Our campus is extremely small, the caf food is horrible and pricey, anything fun are bus rides away, dorms & bathrooms are gross, and clubs and organizations are limited. However, there are benefits that may possibly overweigh all my petty complaints, including small class sizes (around 20 ppl per class) so you can build connections with professors, and also your good ol’ private school inflation so great for grad school apps.

@ProfessorPlum168 I want to work at an elite hospital so I guess I should transfer then. However, I also heard from someone else that UCSF prioritizes USF students.