Nursing vs Accounting

<p>Which career would be more suitable for someone like me? I don’t go to a very well known University. They both start you decently well off after 4 years of college but are two completely different things.</p>

<p>Right now my current major is nursing. I only chose it because my parents wanted me to and I do find some of its classes quite interesting and I like to help people. Im am somewhat excited to take some of my science classes. I hear everyone complaining about how hard the classes are which aren’t a big bother to me. I am willing to do long study hours to get things done and memorized but the hard part for me is actually getting into the program and being able to handle the clinicals. </p>

<p>Problem is im going to have to do clinicals, which I know cause a lot of stress. I don’t handle stress very well. </p>

<p>Then theres accounting. I have no knowledge whatsoever of how the job works and the only thing I know is the classes I have to take for the first two years. Im am NOT good at math but so far in my math classes Im doing well and I am willing to expand and study hard. I heard it is boring but theres much room for going up the corporate ladder. I chose this because it is a safe and lucrative career that is a stepping stone for big business.</p>

<p>To sum it up:
I like sciences (not that much)
don’t know much about business
Im horrible at math but willing to improve
I like to help people
I Don’t handle stress very well
Willing to get a Masters if needed
I don’t mind having to study for long periods (it is actually quite relaxing to me)
Most of all is I want job security and to be decently well off after 4 years of college</p>

<p>Right now my GPA is 4.0 (then again it was only 3 classes over the summer and this isn’t an IVY so its really not that hard) This fall semester it has gotten reasonably harder but nothing I cant handle. For nursing Im worried about actually getting into the program and if I do if I will survive clinical and for accounting im worried if I will be able to handle the curriculum as I have no prior knowledge of it.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Overall, stick with where your abilities lie.</p></li>
<li><p>Thousands of students don’t get into any RN program each year, and thousands more wash out. If you are doing well in it, I would be very hesitant to leave a nursing education.</p></li>
<li><p>There are probably opportunities for overlap between nursing and business. There are many health care industry jobs where they want a person who understands medicine, but who can also manage business matters. Having some courses in accounting and other business matters may be useful in the future, even if you stick with nursing. That combination is not common, which may make it marketable. If you have less interest in working with patients on a daily basis, that may be a good combination for you.</p></li>
<li><p>You also should talk to profesionals about other ways you can use a nursing degree, to find your best match. For example, some people might be better suited for a technical specialty or getting involved in medical research.</p></li>
</ol>