NYU CS Acceptance Rate + Prestige

NYU is regarded as a highly prestigious university, and it got me intrigued. I did some research and found out that the acceptance rate for NYU’s Computer Science program at the College of Arts and Science is just 4% for the class of 2027. That’s incredibly competitive!

Now, I’m curious to know if the prestige translates into better job prospects for undergraduate students. Additionally, how are the research, networking, and internship opportunities? I heard NYU has very strong networks.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Pinging @DadOfJerseyGirl

1 Like

NYU has a very good CS program, but it’s not considered a “top 20” program (a good chunk of those are public schools). But NYU provides excellent opportunities in the financial sector, if that’s where your interests lie.

While investment banking and other Wall Street tech jobs do value prestige, it’s not as much as on the non-tech side. And if you go to other tech jobs across the country you’ll find them to not generally be prestige driven.

While NYU has a well recognized name, you will not necessarily have a big advantage over other similar schools outside of Wall Street. So go to NYU if that’s the right school for you - not because you think it’ll give you a big boost in your career.

Now, if you’re interested in math and/or want to do a math minor then that would be an additional reason to favor NYU since they have a strong math department.