NYU or University of Missouri Columbia- J- Schools

<p>So I've been accepted to both NYU and Mizzou, and now I'm left to decide. Ive wanted to be a journalist since I was very young, and now my scope is broadening to something more along the lines of fashion/music, more magazine based journalism, (Vogue, the New Yorker, Rolling Stone etc). I had originally applied Early Decision II to NYU for a journalism major, and was accepted to their Liberal Arts Core Program where I do writing intensive courses my first two years and declare a major in journalism my junior year. Due to the different program, I am no longer bound to attending NYU. I was also accepted to Mizzou with a $28,000 scholarship. I know that Mizzou is becoming one of the top journalism schools in the world, and that it is HELLA more cheap than NYU, but I just have my heart stuck in the city. My parents really want me to attend Mizzou due to cost and all, and I know that if I want to succeed in journalism, Mizzou is probably the way to go, but I can't stop thinking about the more opportunities i'll find with interning if I go to school in New York City. I also live about 10 minutes from NYC, so travel and such would be much cheaper. I've also had the thought that if I don't end up pursuing journalism, NYU is stronger academically and clearly the better school to be at. Any thoughts? DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!</p>

<p>What’s the cost difference between NYU and Mizzou (taking into account room/board as well)? It’s not really worth it to be in a lot of debt, especially considering the vast majority of journalists don’t make much money at all in the beginning of their career (or in general). </p>

<p>How set are you on a journalism career? Missouri can open up opportunities as well, if you look for them. They have some programs where you can go to a different city/country and do work, which could potentially lead to a job offer. Their alumni network is apparently amazing as well.</p>

<p>“I know that if I want to succeed in journalism, Mizzou is probably the way to go, but I can’t stop thinking about the more opportunities i’ll find with interning if I go to school in New York City”</p>

<p>I can understand why you want to be in the city. I can also understand that you may not want to be 1000 miles from home. But you also acknowledge that Mizzou will probably be the best way to go to succeed in journalism. As for what if you don’t want to be in journalism, that strikes me as an excuse to tilt the scale in favor of NYU. Besides what would you major in if you didn’t major in journalism?</p>

<p>My guess (assuming that $28,000 scholarship is to be spread over the 4 years and no aid at NYU) is that the difference in cost will be in the area of $30,000/year. That buys a lot of travel and I highly doubt that any extra internship opportunities will be worth the remaining difference. If you had unlimited funds, it would be an easy choice. But going into debt (or even having your parents dip into retirements funds) really doesn’t equate to added value.</p>

<p>I’d go with NYU. Success in journalism has a lot to do with connections that you make and living in New York City could definitely help you in the long run and possibly allow you to skip a small-market job.</p>

<p>Mizzou for school. NYC for summertime internships. Really. </p>