Off Campus Housing - The Retreat at Lake Tamaha

Does anyone have thoughts on this off-campus housing location? I know it is not close to campus, but what about safety and security?

I have no actual experience with The Retreat, but DS and 4 of his friends chose to live there next year. They toured it with a set of parents and felt it was a good place. You will always find negative comments about any complex, but most seemed to like it; nothing I read set off any warning bells for me.

I liked that it is on the school shuttle route. Also, it is North of the RR tracks, so no running into problems with the trains. It really isn’t that far from the campus, so it wasn’t even a concern.

Time will tell how it works out, but for now, I have no issues with it, and DS really liked it. Told him he needed an off campus place cheaper than the suite style dorms and it fit that criteria, though not as much as I would have liked.

The location is good, easy commute to campus avoid major intersections and infamous tuscaloosa traffic jams. Nice wooded area, plenty of nice trees/grass. I have heard the management is hit or miss though and have a fairly high turnover rate.

I believe I read on the parent FB page that there is new management this year and they are really sprucing up the complex. Management at any of the complexes do seem to change a lot.

My son lived there this year. He will live there next year. I think it is fine in general but I would prefer he live closer (walkable) to campus.

It is safe and secure but I don’t like the driving back and forth.

My son lived there this school year and really liked it out there. Beautiful lake on the property…walking trail…dog park…individual cottages with front porch and back deck! Yes, he paid a little more for utilities versus a normal new apartment complex but he felt it was worth it (and he was paying, not me). He used the shuttle service basically every day and found it reliable and convenient. Used the tennis courts, basketball courts, pools also…and clubhouse amenities. He would definitely live there again.

Since DS plans on living there, I “hope” he utilizes all the amenities. It will be coming from his federal loans so he has been choosing more expensive living conditions than I would have, starting with suite style dorms.

However, he met a great group of guys this way and will be living with 4 of them at The Retreat, so worth the extra expense.